The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » For those of you that love coins... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
349 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
How many coins do you typically carry on you for walk around situations?

Again, this question is more for those that are partial to coins and would have a deeper arsenal.

What do you choose to carry?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm retired, but, when I was on the road, I would often carry a penny, and a Sudbury penny. For variety, I would carry a Kennedy "Bump Out" and a half $. (These were for CASUAL situations.)

In my show, I closed with the Misers Dream.

When I wanted to show off for magicians, I would use the Downs Palm, the coin roll with four coins simultaneously, and the five coin star with both hands, simultaneously. If I was feeling 'good', I would do the "3 coin toss up and catch them individually". I never could do the "muscle pass".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Just my pocket change and a bent quarter.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Bobo and I were friends. From a lecture of his in the early '50s, I "got" a "SILVER OR COPPER PENETRATION", and an "EXPANSION OF TEXTURE". I added a "GYPSY SWITCH" from my old pal Jon Racherbaumer, later, and, much later, a COPPER & SILVER BIT, somewhat like John Scarne's in "STARS OF MAGIC" That was more than enough to last me for 50+ years.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of philraso
I usually have a dime ala David Parr
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I have a WL GF that I use for coins across. Also csb, but I don't use that as much now.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9475 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I've got a double sided penny/dollar and a Sudbury. You can do three routines or one that's 2 minutes.
CSB, I know, it could be similar to the above but if you're table hopping it's good.
I have a dollar sized scotch & soda that you can reset against your belt buckle.
And my Coin through Coin.

But if you like coins you should look into two balls and silk work. That style is great when the lighting is low or the music loud because it's so visual you can just whistle.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
349 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I have quite a few original routines and new renditions of classic effects.

If I were to carry it all, I would have 3 separate coin purses.

On the one hand it doesn't seem like that much if each one is in a different pocket. But, on the other hand I feel like it may be over preparing.

I guess I'll try just choosing 2 of the 3 purses or maybe just 1, then switch it up from time to time.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9475 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Rick, it's great you have original stuff. Do you have a lecture?
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
349 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2017, jay leslie wrote:
Rick, it's great you have original stuff. Do you have a lecture?

Jay,

I would be more than grateful to be able to have the credibility to give a lecture. I just enjoy trying invent and contribute new ideas; and coin magic could use that.

I just threw the question out to get a feel for what people are doing out there.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
655 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
As a working pro, this is what I carry. 4 walking liberty half dollars plus an expanded shell, loaded in my secret servante unit on right side of jacket. A chinese dollar coin loaded in second SS unit on right side of jacket. Left trouser pocket, jumbo chinese coin. right trouser pocket, C purse with CSB gimmicks.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2017 Posts

Profile of warren
At my last gig I had 4 kennedy half dollars plus S***l in a little purse in my left trouser pocket plus 1 kennedy half dollar and 1 Chinese coin loose in the same pocket.

In my right trouser pocket I keep 1 Chinese coin.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Four of the same coins and one contrasting, along with a handkerchief gives me almost an hour of work possible. The handkerchief can be used for table padding or in the hands as a net or in the routine itself. I also carry a jumbo coin and a small rubber ball. I use the ball way more than the jumbo coin. I don't think I have used the jumbo coin in over a year. May have to retire it to the case.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
349 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
These are the type of responses I'm interested in.

I like to carry in my left front pant pocket 3 Morgans in a coin purse.

In my right front pocket a loose Morgan for a 1 coin routine and a coin purse with a normal copper coin,silver coin, and brass along with a C/S.

In my back pocket 4 Barbers and a shell along with a chinese coin
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
930 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
A Dean's set of Barbers (the [ in the secret servante on the right side) and 2 Copper 1 Silver set for "Trio in Three"
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have a set of Beggar Coins in one vest pocket and six Walking Liberty coins in the other and one C/S in pants pocket.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3731 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have several small coin purses and store different coin sets in ea. Ie C/S/B in one, H.H. in another, 4 matching coins and a shell in another and I even keep a coin tidy of different gaffs. As I head out the door, I just grab what I feel like (or what I am working on at the time). I don't see anything wrong with 3 purses in different pockets. I certainly wouldn't consider it over prepared with your arsenal. Smile
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
349 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thanks Poof.

How's your wrist?
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas (WooPigSooie!)
340 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Every day coins I have a snap purse in left trouser pocket with 4 Morgans + ES. Right trouser a Quiver purse with Morgan CSB.
Blessings
Steph
WHAT IF you woke up tomorrow with only the things that you thanked God for today?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
4977 Posts

Profile of pepka
When working, I carry 1 purse that holds a Barber Dean's set and a Sun/Moon set for Samoya. Those are my 2 go to coin effects when working.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » For those of you that love coins... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL