The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Withdrawal by Josh Janousky and Jeff Prace (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
I'll discuss it with Jeff. Originally it was going to be a generic gift card from a steakhouse, but from talking with a lot of people, they felt Starbucks, as such a recognizable brand, would be the best way to approach it

We'll know and also litigious when it comes to using their trademark.

Ask the Starbucks chop cup dude.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
@magic___lover - If you have legitimate concerns about using this product in your work, I advise you to use a different product. (We all know there is not a short supply...) I have consulted my lawyers on the issue and proceeded. If you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to e-mail me. I went through a similar process when developing the Search Engine Pen.

All the best,
Jeff
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Thanks for the kind words Ari!

Magic___lover - I would just like to jump in and say that we actually never used any Starbucks branding on the product. The Logo was modified multiple different ways, the colors are different than the actual shades Starbucks uses, and it never says Starbucks on the card. When designing the card, I made all of the changes so that legally it was different than an actual card from Starbucks. So you should have zero concern using this effect
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Starbucks operated for 10 years in the UK without paying a penny in tax. Who cares, apart from magiclover, if someone uses their brand in a magic trick. Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2017, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Ari!

Magic___lover - I would just like to jump in and say that we actually never used any Starbucks branding on the product. The Logo was modified multiple different ways, the colors are different than the actual shades Starbucks uses, and it never says Starbucks on the card. When designing the card, I made all of the changes so that legally it was different than an actual card from Starbucks. So you should have zero concern using this effect

That makes it even worse in my mind. If anyone notices that it's off, it screams prop. Better to use something generic that feels normal but you don't recognize than something you do recognize as not-quite-right.

That said, I do like the look of the routine.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Even me being a sceptical about using a branded design and ideally would have liked a generic unbranded design, I 100% guarantee that no one would ever pick up on this being not a real starbucks card or noticing anything even slightly different to the original starbucks design compared to this. For so many reasons but the main being the card is not even in play that long enough for anyone to study it to think hmmm that apparent starbucks design does not look like the original - actually I got it, the green is 0.1 shade darker than the branded starbucks - yep this is a fake card stop the trick.
Come on guys.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Totally agree with Prince.
Being a fake card is a non-issue.
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2017, jprace wrote:
@magic___lover - If you have legitimate concerns about using this product in your work, I advise you to use a different product.

I didn't mention any concerns about using this in my work. I mean, I wouldn't because I don't particular care for the plot, but that's by the by.

Quote:
On Aug 23, 2017, jprace wrote:
I have consulted my lawyers on the issue and proceeded.

No doubt. But I imagine Starbucks have bigger and better lawyers than you. And when there is public record (this thread) of you saying things like "We went with Starbucks because of how universal it is. " etc then I am pretty sure you could be done for Passing Off if not full on Copyright Infringement.

You may have slightly altered some aspects of their trademark, but the intention, as you say here, is to make it appear to be a starbucks card.

I don't care if they stop you making it, like they did with the starbucks chop cup, or not. More saying if anyone wants it, get it quick because if Starbucks get wind of this I imagine they will shut you down fast. Smile
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:

Your intent is to make it LOOK like a Starbucks card. And there's public record of that intent. I don't think using a very slightly different shade of green and missing out a word would be a defence any judge would entertain.

But good luck with it.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I don't think Starbucks would care of a small company in a niche market is selling fake Starbucks cards...

They have better things to do

Sleepy
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, magic___lover wrote:
Quote:

Your intent is to make it LOOK like a Starbucks card. And there's public record of that intent. I don't think using a very slightly different shade of green and missing out a word would be a defence any judge would entertain.

But good luck with it.

As the logo has been modified as well, this falls under parody law. Additionally this isn't a real giftcard. We looked into the legal reprocussions before releasing this. I appreciate your concern but I assure you that everything is on the up and up.
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Ummm not to sure why my comment about prop dogs Starbucks chop cup getting pulled was removed?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
@magic___lover - Do you have a legal background? I am not asking this jokingly; if you do, I would love to put you in touch with the lawyer I hired. She is much more knowledgeable than me on this subject. On my end, I consulted an expert and concluded I am acting legally. And I have full intentions to continue making awesome, legal magic -- even if there is a threat that bigger companies will squish me like a bug with their network of resources.

With that out of the way, Josh and I are happy to discuss the plot, method, and everything in-between.

All the best,
Jeff
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I'm sure the guys would have done the nessesary research from a legal aspect 1st before going a head with the design, manufacturing etc and more importantly before putting money into it. This does look good and nice eye candy.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
As the logo has been modified as well, this falls under parody law.

Just to correct you, I am 95% sure this does not fall under parody law. MAYBE fair use.

This would be a correct use of parody law.
Official Thread Killer
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
AND this will be available THIS WEEK on the Reel Magic Marketplace site for Reel Magic Subscribers only for $12 shipped inside the US.... Were not going to carry this right now outside the US

www.reelmagicmagazine.com
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
I don't think Starbucks would care of a small company in a niche market is selling fake Starbucks cards...

They have better things to do

Sleepy

Well, you'd think that. But the certainly cared enough about the Starbucks chop cup to get that taken off the market.
magic___lover
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic___lover
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, JustJoshinMagic wrote:

As the logo has been modified as well, this falls under parody law

It doesn't. If your lawyer told you that, seriously, get another lawyer. Fast.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
New performance video from Dalton Wayne:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYYsTCLBgG0

If you have any questions about the product, please feel free to ask!

All the best,
Jeff
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
These will be on the reel magic marketplace site for subscribers at $12 including shipping....just saying it pays to subscribe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Withdrawal by Josh Janousky and Jeff Prace (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL