The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Educated block (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Does anyone know where/if this is available?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3j0kyMmTJs

HÃ¥kan
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
That's basically a giant wooden Cubio with a penetration ending from Abbot's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic ("Blok-Kord").

For a DIY version, you can refer to its mechanics on page 259 of the newly expanded and revised Abbot's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic (Roy Shrimplin, "Krazy Kube")
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
While pretty easy to make if you have the tools (basically a drill press) and know the methodology (given by Nicolino above) I'd still buy it as it is inexpensive and you don't have to experiment getting the holes the right size, finding the right diameter rope, etc.

It is really the combination of two different effects/tricks each requiring a different methodology. The first trick is the obedient block (a version was sold by Abbott's for decades and used by old timer Monk Watson as a comedy bit) the second is the block off cord routine originally sold as Blok-Kord (or Block-Cord).I don't know who married the two methodologies into one block of wood but it is simply genius!

You can buy it ready made for $50.00 from http://www.grandillusions.com/search/?qu......ed+block

The beauty is that it plays pretty well for a family audience and doesn't take up much space in your case. Plus there is nothing to add, nothing to take away, and nothing to break. It is what it seems to be. A cube of wood with a hole drilled through it (sic) and a length of rope.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For a do-it-yourself version, you'll find instructions on making and performing a Cubio-like effect within the routine called "Billy Blockhead" by Wiz Kid Marquise in The Wizards' Journal #16, item 7. As a short part of that routine, the Block used slides DOWN a rope (like the Cubio), stopping and starting on command, but when it gets to the bottom it begins to rise UP the rope, which is not possible with the actual Cubio prop. That's in addition to participating in vanishes and appearances and multiplications in the remaining parts of the routine.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FuOdcfAAm0
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Thank you for your answers, especially Harry Murphy. I know both methods and I think that combining them makes this a great trick. The simple props involved and the clear effect could classify this as a classic.

HÃ¥kan
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was too darn busy to respond yesterday, and I see that a couple of the guys have "duked you in".

I saw Roy Shrimplin's school show in 1946, and he did his Krazy Kube. Abbott's sold it for years. I bought a Blok Kord from Ronald Haines (Cincinnati) about 50 years ago! Harold Sterling used it in his school show. His routine is in "Kid Stuff Five". ==It's good and PRACTICAL.

That's my pal, Jim Jayes performing it. Jim made one for me about ten years ago. I've used it, and, it plays well!

IIRC, I had told Jim about the two different block tricks, and Jim, who makes all his own puppets, made some. Dale Lorzo, a former Ronald McDonald, who made "my" comedy balloon pumps, may have worked with Jim on the Educated Block.

BTW, the Red & White Ropes bit with the Red & White Bags is Jim Jayes' routine, too. The original "method" is in a 1940s booklet by Milbourne Christopher and Hen Fetsch. It was done with ribbons. I like Jim's idea, better than Milbouorne's!H
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
In more than a decade has made only
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Thanks, Harry! I sure appreciate the referral!

The "Educated Block" is hand made by local, professional magician, Dale Lorzo.

Thanks again!

- Steve Johnson
Grand Illusions
I make the invisible thread reel that works.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
At the end of the video it tells you where it's available from:
http://www.grandillusions.com/product/educated-block
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Already ordered!

HÃ¥kan
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Any reviews on the educated block by grand illusions - I had heard that it is smaller than the one in the video - is that true? and what is the size of the block that is being sold? thanks!
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Thanks for the question!

The Educated Block is consistently 3" square. The one in the video is identical to any and all being sold today. Since they're really wood, the grain and color will vary slightly from block to block but the size of the prop is consistently 3" square.

- Steve
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Got this today. This is one of those things I´ve got to have two of, that´s how good it is. Simplest of props, well made. Go buy.

HÃ¥kan
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hej Hawkan! (I can't get my infernal electrisch peckenclacker to make that neat little "O" above the "a"!)

My dear friend, the late Karrell Fox had a clever line with the "block", but, since Steve @ ilusnst, didn't bother to thank me for showing the whole thing to Jim a few years ago, I won't tip it.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
You teaser! 😀
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Mr. Oslund, (See how I started the whole thing off respectfully?)

I should have known that an act demonstrating brilliance of this caliber would have originated from you. (Straight to the brown-nosing)

Won't you please tip Master Fox's clever line to HÃ¥kan...I mean HÃ¥kan? (Shoot, I can't get the krou to work in the 'Cafe even w/ ALT keys! It works in the notepad! Sorry, Hawkan)

Thank you! (With the exclamation point for emphasis and innocence)

Your old friend, (I like to think so)

- Steve (Which is how people refer to me...In polite company.)

PS: Tom Mullica showed me Karrell's "Watermelon Card Trick" at the GGG in 2015 and it was the best, dumbest thing ever. It went completely viral around the Gathering. (Miss you, Tommy.)

PPS: The "back to back" thumbtip you handed me years ago at Grand Illusions still might be the funniest thing I've seen in magic. (!00% true)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I just noticed this thread again, nice to see Jim in action in the OP's link.

Still, I can tell you that if you see my friends Jim Jayes or Dale Lorzo doing it for real Kids you'll see a BIG reaction.

Simple prop, well made and easy to learn so you can spend all your attention on the performance.

Making this well is more than drilling a hole. You need the right size and you need the rope to be able to draw through the hole smoothly which involves some finishing work in a tight space. Dale does excellent work.

The Solid Block is really a convincing and durable prop.

Get it from Steve. (He does a lot for Magic in the Sacramento area.)

http://www.grandillusions.com/product/educated-block

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
All like Mary said! Jim, Dale, and Mary have been friends for thirty years! They wouldn't steer you wrong. --And, since I passed the info. along to Jim, I gotta say "good things"! (hee hee)

Props like this are so simple and the trick plays so well, that, if you can't get some chuckles, and a nice laugh, ++++ applause when ya do it, ya might as well quit performing!

I have one of the "pilot" models. It works beautifully. It meets most of my criteria! If I didn't have one already, I would be writing a check to Steve!

Since he wrote such a nice letter (!!!) I'll PM him, with Karrell's line. (It aint gonna win the FISM prize, but, it should get a chuckle--and when chuckle's "accumulate", laughs come next!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
This thread inspired me to buy one too. Simple idea, very well made. Looking forward to working it into the show.

Thanks for the discussion.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Max...Maybe if you write Steve, and beg, plead, or whine, he'll pass along the Karrell Fox line which I passed along!
ilusnst
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ilusnst
Or...Just PM me and I'll happily pass it along. I think it'll only be funny in the USA. ;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Educated block (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL