The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Could use some help with a fun little idea! :) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Ok before I begin, if you have not seen my purse frame routine please watch the video at the bottom of this post! Smile If you already are aware of it.. read on! Smile

Quite often I am asked "is that all you keep in there? your balls?" or something to that effect. I want to respond with "yes unfortunately, I do keep some other fun stuff in my other purse tho!" As I say this I will reach into the invisible purse frame and remove one of those small vinyl gosh man style purses. In theory it should catch them off guard.

So here is my question...

What "fun stuff" should I keep in there? I am already leaning towards:
-a $100 bill (my first 100 tip)
-a "lucky rabbits foot" (made to fit inside because it will be too big for the purse which may be funny)
-a folded card prediction
-a button (why not? lol)
-a coin...? meh.... maybe something really old or nice? iono

Now two criteria here....

1. it is meant to be a bit of a gag and it should not go on forever. I also do not necessarily want to lead into another effect with it (unless it will directly tie into my ring routine) It should be like 2-3 funny objects that get a laugh and then kind of be over so I can move on with the sponge routine.

2. I don't wanna do "dirty." I posed this question on FB and almost every comment was sponge dong or condom.... naw... not my brand strength lol.

Any feedback or help is welcome other than this! Thanks in advance!!!

Spongeball routine HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCVdYGRyq8&t=9s
Books, DVDs, Accessories, and Downloads for great deals RIGHT HERE at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2572 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
How about a small plastic rabbit like the kind Alan Wong makes for silk to rabbit. He also makes a frog and a duck. Or a rabbit silk. ( picture of a rabbit on a silk) You could keep it rolled up then produce it for a visual appearance. Maybe a silk streamer hidden in a tt.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Yeah that could be cool!
Books, DVDs, Accessories, and Downloads for great deals RIGHT HERE at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Some thoughts in no particular order...

That second purse could be gaffed ala cigar from purse so you don't alter the rabbits foot to fit...also could go with a cigar for that matter.

To make it several items, think nesting...what item could hold others, like a hollow chapstick that holds a sponge rabbit or the $100 bill, etc.

Item could be a previously borrowed/vanished ring..not the beginning of a new routine, but the end of a previous one. Smile

Since you are doing sponge anyway, maybe you could throw in the old sponge ball that turns to a square. So you open the secondary purse...say you carry a a spare ball...pull out the ball...push it back, (turning it inside out) and remove it in the square shape (not sure if that works - this is all in my head, so the size may not work, though you might be able to make a small version of the gaff).

Finally, for what it is worth, if it were me, I'd rearrange the routine a bit because I think that making the ball appear in a spectator's hand is the strongest thing you can do with sponge balls and anything you do after that is anti-climactic...so I'd end with the ball-to-spectators-hand and go into this final purse bit as magical version of a stand up comic's cool-off line.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
All great ideas! I am putting this little gag on hold for the moment because as of now I have tested a few ideas and it kills the finally of the trick lol. So maybe instead of using the purse in the middle of the routine. I will use it as a callback and pull out the frame again and pull stuff from it as sort of a recurring gag. Plus if I was really a magician and that magic purse was really holding the contents I should be removing all of my items from it (sharpie to have a card signed, handkerchief, purse with coins in it, etc.)
RyanWhiteside
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of RyanWhiteside
Maybe a piece of folded paper that reads ''No, I also keep this in here''. Just an idea Smile
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
With a slightly bigger purse frame a wine bottle is possible.
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1116 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Love your sponge ball routine!!
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

...or, with even a BIGGER purse, you could go with an entire 6-pack.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
UPDATE ON THIS!

I have been going crazy with using the purse frame and have come up with the following plots/ideas.

-Pulling a handkerchief from the purse, whipping the sweat from my brow, putting it back into the purse, and setting the purse on the table (hanky vanishes.)
-Pulling the sharpie from the purse to have a card signed. Then nonchalantly placing the chirpy back inside and putting the purse down. (sharpie vanish)
-Removing 4 coins from the purse to do a matrix effect. Then one at a time placing them back inside and setting the purse on the table (4 coin vanish using a technique similar to engine burgers 4 coin vanish, only instead using the purse frame to justify the awkward way the hand receiving the coins is held.)
-Removing a smaller purse frame then removing coin from that smaller purse frame (sort of a joke effect but works!)
-Removing an actual coin purse/jumbo coin/8 ball from the purse.

Paulajayne: Would LOVE to give a wine bottle production a go!

Montana76: Thank you so much! Glad you like it!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1202 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I like the small purse within purse idea. It's got an absurd/surrealist feel which I find magical and is certainly unexpected.
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of jcroop
How about a long streamer or mouth coil as a streamer?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2236 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Something that struck me funny would be to remove the actual purse that was originally part of the frame (or something that looks like it came from the frame). So from your invisible purse, you produce a visible purse, inside of which you can produce something else, possibly a smaller purse frame, etc. To be clear, unlike stated above, you're not producing a smaller purse frame from the larger frame, but the actual purse itself.
Steven Keyl

The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Random thoughts...

I have always been fond of incidental magic so I like the ideas of using the purse frame to do inexplicable things but treating like it is normal.

Re: 4 coins - you could vanish them without talking with the help of a Slydini coin clip, or similar gaff.
danaruns
View Profile
Elite user
The City of Angels
483 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Michael, you've got some wonderful ideas going on, and some great suggestions from folks here too.

I enjoy something like your purse when it is used as incidental magic between routines after its initial use (which can be part of the routine but not the focus, like the way Bill Cook uses it). And I was thinking that instead of pulling a variety of things from the invisible purse, maybe you repeatedly pull and replace one object that is obviously too big to go in and out of the purse. Kind of like what Garrett Thomas does with the 8-ball in the wallet gag. The more that kind of thing is repeated, the funnier and more amazing it becomes. And it serves as a call-back throughout the act, tying things together.

Just a thought.

--Dana
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted this on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on December 1, 2004

The Purse Frame

A purse frame is a bagless purse - the frame of the purse. Back in 1950 Bill Nord suggested using it to produce an silk (See Phoenix # 212) Slydini used it to produce sponges (see he Best of Slydini and More" page 54), Al Goshman used it to produce coins and sponge balls (see "Magic By Gosh") and I use it to produce dice (see "Dice Caper" in Apocalypse page 745 March 1983) and Patrick Page has suggested using the purse frame in an impromptu situation. So do I. It is a good example of "Whimsical Perverse Magic"

I would have a few bills that have been folded with one short end to the other short end and then once more with the center to the ends (but not pressed flat) and palmed in the left hand with one long side against the heel of the hand and the other long side against the curled left fingers of that hand.

The purse frame is in the right pocket (jacket if wearing one - pants pocket otherwise).

When paying the check at a restaurant (where I'm not paying by credit card) I'll go to the cashier and reach into my right pocket and get the purse frame and hold it between my right hand between my thumb and first and second fingers,

I shake the purse and hold it to my ear and then move it to the cashier's ear (see "The Best of Slydini and More" photo 254). I then put the purse in my left hand (see "The Best of Slydini and More photo 257) and open the purse with my right hand and reach in with the thumb and first finger of that hand and grasp the bills by the side touching the heel of my left hand and pull the bills out of the purse.

I put the purse away and pay the check with the bills - as if using a purse frame with an invisible bag that holds invisible bills is the most natural thing in the world.

Sometimes instead of bills I produce a few coins, perhaps to buy a newspaper for, say, fifty cents. Here I'll have two quarters finger palmed in my left hand and here, when I reach for the coins with my right thumb and first finger, I do so with my right palm facing the spectators so that the right palm is shown empty. (See "The Best of Slydini and More" photo 259).

I sometimes use the purse frame at dinner with friends. (I do a lot of magic at dinner - or lunch. That MAY be a good time to do magic depending on the circumstances and you must use your good judgment here.

I might, at the end of a meal, ask if anyone wants a piece of gum and take the gum from the purse frame. Or I might just reach into the purse frame and pull out a tissue, wipe my mouth and throw the tissue away.

Here, the gum (and I use a few small pieces of gum, like Trident, that can fit easily in my left hand) or the tissue is on my left leg and the purse frame is in my real right pocket. As I reach for the purse frame with my right hand, my body turns and my left hand drops on top of the gum or the tissue.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
You guys rock! Let me respond to each of you:

-Claudio/Dave: YES! The whole idea is to almost not even acknowledge it is bagless. I literally deadpan the performance when I reach for the hanky or produce coins from it. If people laugh I almost look at them like "What....?" lol it gets great reactions and so far I am loving it!

-jcroop: YES! Didn't think of that but that would be hilarious!!! Be like, I need to blow my nose.... and just start pulling out a ton of paper.... lol

-Steven: YES! I love that idea as well. 2 things I am currently working on are how to vanish the bag/how to produce the bag. Spellbound type moves are coming to mind but so far the handling looks awkward. Updates soon? Your idea would work perfect for this as I can vanish the bag then reach into the frame and remove another purse with the bag lol

-Dana: YES! Actually GT 8ball is a major influence on why I wanted to do this. I don't feel comfortable doing it from a wallet as it is his thing, but I can see the pure frame becoming my thing for sure Smile I don't think many magicians are using it more than for the initial gag of the purse in a sponge ball routine or coin effect. PS We need to hang out soon!

-Gerald: Great ideas for practical reasons to use it! The bill idea is great! Do you remove the bills folded or do they come out opened? If they are opened it would be even funnier because it seems like "Where the heck did they come from!!!" I have been trying to make it seem like the most natural thing ever and almost look confused when people are laughing or clapping.

Great ideas guys! I plan to put a project together with my findings and probably release it around this time next year. If you guys are interested id love to credit you all for your contributions and ideas!
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Producing a coin that is to large to go through the frame. I'm not a big fan of large coins, so it could be any large object that it seems to pass through the frame but you can't really put it back into the purse because it won't fit the frame.

And the solution to putting it back on the invisible purse could be producing, from the same invisible purse a larger frame, then putting the object inside of the large frame, closing it and putting it back inside of the first frame.

Like if you could keep larger objects inside of the first invisible purse because you are able to keep larger invisible purses inside of the smaller ones. I like the idea of smaller containers holding larger ones. Even if they are not solid, you can feel the surreal aspect of it.

I haven't tried this, but it seems doable.

A compressible bottle or can of coke, maybe?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26544 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nate Leipzig produced a cigar. Several. There are very nice fake cigars that also look smoked/lit.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
You could pull out one of those baseball sized ‘shrunken heads’. You pull it out and act startled- then quickly put it back into the frame.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Could use some help with a fun little idea! :) (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL