The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Book recommendations other than H.L.? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Maestro
I'd love if people would share some of their favorite books and/or authors on card magic that they keep going back to. Since we have numerous other threads talking about the virtues of the Lorayne books, I'd only like recommendations on other authors. H.L. is welcome to give his recommendations as well, but I would ask he create another topic if he wants to recommend his own books.

For those who want more information on harry lorayne books, please see these threads:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

If you want to order H.L's books you can contact him directly or go to http://www.harryloraynemagic.com/index.html.

Now that we have that out of the way maybe we can continue the discussion that was started.

My favorite author is John Bannon. Whether you start out with his older classics like Impossibilia / Smoke and Mirrors, or go with one of his newer books such as High Calibur or my personal favorite Dear Mr. Fantasy, there is something in there for everyone. Some of the effects are moderately challenging, but most will be within reach of all magicians if you put the time in. There are usually several self-workers or nearly self-workers in each book as well. If you are looking for things other than cards, impossibilia has a lot of other great effects too, like two coin matrix's I am very fond of.
thesmilingmule
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of thesmilingmule
My personal favorite are Roy Waltons books. Roy is a creative genius and his broad application of a few specific sleights for many different applications is wonderful.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
One of my al time favorites is Steve Beam. Not only is his writing hilarious, his routines are great. The SACT series and the trapdoor are must haves in my opinion. Another favorite of mine is Nick Trost. As much as I love knuckle busting card magic, I love the subtle genius behind many self working effects that these two authors have put out. I also second John Bannon. Everything by Simon Aaronson is a must have as well. When I first found his undo influence I was in awe of the genius behind it. Another favorite is Paul Harris. Some of his routines aren't my style, but he has so many classics such as reflex and Las Vegas leaper. For more slight intensive magic, I love Earnest Erik's By Forces Unseen. I don't use any of the routines, but his one handed bottom palm, one handed convincing card control, and bow to stern control are integral parts of my working repertoire. One last recomendation would be Pit Hattling. His thinking is matched by few in my opinion. Great topic.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2692 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
My most influencing authors were/are Martin Gardner, Karl Fulves, Barrie Richardson and Simon Aronson - these gentlemen are real genii! Everything written by them is worth studying over and over again.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
I haven't read a lot, but I like expert at the card table. I'd recommend it to anyone who learnt more basic sleights and are ready to some table work.
I also recommend revolutionary card technique. Learnt the side steal and mechanical grip bottom deal from it, it's a good book.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
662 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I tend to come back to The Card Magic of Le Paul.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
565 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Hats off to you, Andy! (I think LePaul is really tough....)

In no particular order:
The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
Royal Road
Expert Card Technique
Card Control (Arthur Buckley --- another tough one; I am not close to mastering this material)
Tarbell 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 (I don't have 5 and 6 yet)

There is also some good stuff in (though not as sleight-oriented)
The Card Magic of Nick Trost
Scarne on Card Tricks
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1238 Posts

Profile of Claudio
When I grew up, I could only get Hugard & Braue's The Royal Road To Card Magic & Expert Card Technique. Both wonderful books. I'm grateful (to goddess Fortuna) that I started with those.
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
281 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
Any of Dai Vernon books
Stars of Magic
The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings
The Complete Works of Derek Dingle
The Martin Nash Trilogy
The Darwin Ortiz books
Modus Operandi The Card Magic of Jack Carpenter and The Export's Portfolio's one and two, also by Jack Carpenter
Million Dollar Card Secrets and Super Subtle Card Miracles by Frank Garcia.
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
All of Darwin Ortiz's books are fantastic. It's very clear that he's put a lot of thought and consideration into his material, there are no filler tricks. I'll also give another vote for Derek Dingle, another favorite of mine, lots of fun moves. One that hasn't been said yet is The Secrets of Brother John Hamman. Fantastic book with some killer tricks
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Along with the classics already mentioned, I also have found a wealth of great material in Frank Simon's "Versatile Card Magic" and Earl Nelson's "Variations", and "The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings" (which has a lot of cards, of course, but also some of his other material like his chop cup work and "The Hook" routine).
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5339 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, steve ehlers wrote:
Any of Dai Vernon books
Stars of Magic
The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings
The Complete Works of Derek Dingle
The Martin Nash Trilogy
The Darwin Ortiz books
Modus Operandi The Card Magic of Jack Carpenter and The Export's Portfolio's one and two, also by Jack Carpenter
Million Dollar Card Secrets and Super Subtle Card Miracles by Frank Garcia.

Excellent list.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
662 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, JoeHohman wrote:

In no particular order:
Royal Road
Expert Card Technique
Card Control (Arthur Buckley --- another tough one; I am not close to mastering this material)

There is also some good stuff in (though not as sleight-oriented)
The Card Magic of Nick Trost
Scarne on Card Tricks

I think so too. But I try to do a couple things from it. The spread pass is my favorite part of the book.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Oh, and one more...

One of my favorite books in card magic is, "Outs Precautions And Challenges (For Ambitious Card Workers)" by Charles H. Hopkins.

It is not a book of tricks, but rather talks about approach to card magic that says a little forethought, a change of mindset and a few tools you probably already know, you can prepare for the times you screw up and make it so the spectator's never know. You always finish the trick, even if it is not the one you started.

Hopkins addresses question like what do you do when you ask the spectator to name his card and he refuses...what to do when you lose control of a card and have no idea what/where it is, as well as when there is a complete train wreck and your final revelation is wrong.

It looks and reads a bit dated - it was written 75 years ago - but it is filled with great ideas for common moves and gaffs that make you "bullet proof" when things go wrong. It should be required reading for anyone starting out in card magic.

It's still available on Ebay, Amazon and I think Penguin still sells a reprint...best $6 you'll spend.
Muzz
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Muzz
Roberto Giobbi's Card College series is brilliant and, as has already been said, anything by Darwin Ortiz is a must read.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1729 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Frank Garcia books
Al Leech
Paul Harris
Dai Vernon
Stars of Magic book
Doug Edwards
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch

In no particular order:
Royal Road
Expert Card Technique

Tarbell 7 was written by Harry Lorayne.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2692 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2017, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
Quote:

In no particular order:
Royal Road
Expert Card Technique

Tarbell 7 was written by Harry Lorayne.

Compiled from contributions by other magicians. So it's a valid entry here! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5339 Posts

Profile of magicfish
-Dingle's Deceptions
-Star Quality: The magic of David Regal
-Doug Edwards Packs a Wallop
-Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.
Wordsworth
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
One Degree by John Guastaferro is great. David Regal's Approaching Magic, Close up and Personal, and Constant Fooling are great also.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Book recommendations other than H.L.? (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL