We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Open Arrangement (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Claudio kindly referred me to this thread in reply to a question I asked about setting up for Nick Trost's "Intuition." One way to set up would be to (1) first sort the second deck into NDO, and then (2) go through the first deck as a guide to set up the second deck. Since the second deck is already sorted (and perhaps laid out on the table), the work shouldn't be too bad. But still, I'm wondering if people have ideas about how to accomplish Step 2 efficiently.

Thanks,

Bob
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1293 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Bob, do you do mem work?

But even if you don't, mark the back of a deck in memdeck order that you mean to study in the future. The marks must be visible only to you, of course, by that I mean not so obvious that laypeople would spot them. There are a lot of marking systems around. Mark the second deck in reverse order. From now on, you'll be able to setup both packets in preparation for the Nick Trost effect in a matter of minutes and without thinking, using a radix sort. The more you use this technique the faster it'll be. As well, as you suggested, keeping one deck in order would be a good idea.

The advantage of a marked deck is that the NT effect can be performed entirely hands off, as you have the necessary information immediately.

Plus, I believe a couple of books noted in this thread, will help you to set up the order under the guise of an effect.

Anyway, this is one way, others will no doubt think of more.
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Claudio,

I don't do mem work (though of course eventually I want to do *everything* in magic Smile ). I'll check into marking systems, and in particular the books in the other thread.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Landmark,

Your method is appealing and sounds easy (in principle -- it will be good practice to upjog and entire half of the deck and pull out only those cads!). So I thought I'd start with your method before trying some of ideas, such as Claudio's that require more thought. But I have a question: How *does* one organize a bridge hand? I did a bit of web searching before asking this and I got lots of conflicting opinions and technical stuff. Would you mind briefly describing your own method for getting each suit into numerical order?

Thanks,

Bob
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4564 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's nothing very special. Let's see if I can explain for Bicycle NDO.

Suppose you are holding the deck in left hand, facing you with the 13 unsorted spades at the bottom. Spread the 13 cards out in a fan so that you can see all the pips. Now with your right hand, fingers pointing down, palm facing you, thumb closest to your body, pick out the KS from above; next scan the cards and pick out the QS on top of that, then the JS and so on up until the AS is on the face of the packet. Then just cut those to the top of the pack, and continue the same with the diamonds and the rest of the suits.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Bob G
OK, that makes sense. Thanks!
Bob G
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi landmark,

Just wanted you to know that your method worked really well for me. I thought you'd want to know that, yes, your method *was* useful to someone. Here's what I wrote on the thread in which I asked for an efficient way to arrange for Trost's Intuition:

I'm reporting back, here. Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Here's what I did; I'm sure it isn't the most efficient method, but it seems plenty good enough for my purposes.

I used landmark's technique to physically arrange one deck into new deck order. Then I spread the cards on the table.

Then I spread the cards in the other, well-shuffled, deck, so that one spread was "above" the other, i. e., I the two spreads were parallel with one closer to me than the other.

From there it was quite easy to arrange the NDO cards into a gradually growing deck that was in reverse order to the shuffled deck. I was pleased to discover that it was easy and natural to put the NDO deck into *reverse* order: I just went from the face of the shuffled spread toward the back, choose NDO cards that matched the shuffled cards, kept them face-up, and put each new card face-up card on top of the previously chosen cards. (I hope that made sense! Clarification on request.)

I'm guessing the whole thing took me 10-15 minutes, though I didn't time myself. But considering that this was my first time, and that I didn't follow all of landmark's instructions, I was happy with the result. If I can get the time down to five - or even ten - minutes, I'll be happy. That doesn't seem like too much time to spend preparing what's reputed to be a really effective trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Open Arrangement (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL