The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Compressed Illusion (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
The Compressed Illusion was on Penn and Taylor's Fool Us ----- and It fooled Penn and Taylor--- did I miss something that was not shown on TV?? Surly Penn and Taylor know how that illusion is done. What did I miss???
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The Penn and Teller show is a reality TV show... it is NOT reality. Just like AGT or American Idol.
In it's first season on British TV, there was a concerted effort to find people who could genuinely fool Penn and Teller.
When the show was moved to US production, the focus shifted to creating a more entertaining.. if less 'fooling' presentation.

In some cases, those who are now credited with having 'fooled' P and T are recognized professionals and therefore are accorded a certain level of 'respect', by having P & T saying they were fooled.
It also appears in the last two seasons, that many performers that appear have a primary goal of just logging some TV time, rather than actually fooling P & T.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I'm good friends with JP, I talked to him last night & today. He genuinely fooled them.
Yes, some people do it for the TV credit with no thought that they'll fool P & T.
This is the first illusion that has fooled them.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Last year, Greg Wilson (son of Mark Wilson) performed Excalibur: Their version of the substitution trick using swords and with an added switch of personnel at the end.
This too was a 'Grande Illusion" that ostensibly 'fooled' them. At least they said so, but I'm not entirely sure that they were completely without a method.
I think it was an acknowledged tribute to the many accomplishments to the legacy of the Wilsons.
Just one man's opinion....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I forgot about that. I think it surprised them more than it fooled them.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes it is a nice surprise at the end!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
There is no way that illusion fooled Teller. The method is as plain as day to anyone knowledgable about illusions.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Well, you might think the method is plain till you start figuring where the blades on the top are and there's no trap.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2017, jay leslie wrote:
Well, you might think the method is plain till you start figuring where the blades on the top are and there's no trap.

???? blades, trap???? are you talking about the same illusion?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
No the subject changed
It started off as Compressed and changed to Excalibur.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Maybe. thomasR's comment could be about compressed, and that is how I took it.

s
wsudik
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of wsudik
Are you guys kidding me? blades? traps? mirrors? cameras? USSR tech? Excalibur??

no, $7,500: http://www.danielsummers.com/compressed.html

And, the assistant was either trained, or the trick is so simple she was reading basic instructions off the monitor in front of her.

No way they were tricked, Teller was even standing next to it and could have peeked behind (or grabbed her arse)
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
The monitor was there so Alison could see herself. It's usually placed elsewhere which is what threw P & T
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Do the rules for the show allow Alison to be trained before the show?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
She rehearsed for about an hour
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The Wilson "Excaliber" segment was a living tribute to the First Family of Television magic and the "award" was in respect to Mark & Nani and all they meant to the magical community. There is no way there were actually "fooled" by this wonderful but very well known Alan Wakeling illusion.
Ray Pierce
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Im quite surprised that Penn & Teller would stoop to lying (saying something fooled them when it didn't).

And yes my original comment was on Compressed.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2017, thomasR wrote:
Im quite surprised that Penn & Teller would stoop to lying (saying something fooled them when it didn't).

Read the posts by JNeal. The TV show really isn't about fooling Penn & Teller. That is just the hook for the show. Most trophies have been given out for reasons other than fooling P&T. The escape artist in the dryer comes to mind. I personally don't like the show because of the way Penn explains how he thinks the trick was done. He tries to be subtle and elusive, but I think he still gives too much away. So I have not watched any recent episodes. I much preferred Penn's earlier show "Wizard Wars."
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Yes I saw those posts... I understand how the shows work and marketing etc. Still surprised that Penn and Teller would agree to lie about a trick fooling them or not.

I haven't watched every episode, but based on early episodes and interviews I've heard about the show, it seems originally the goal was to actually fool them with a trick.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Does anybody has a link to this episode with the Compressed illusion, to make my own opinion ?

Thanks

Oliver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Compressed Illusion (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL