The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Sony reveals magic secrets in Xperia commercial! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Meng
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere in Germany I wrote
120 Posts

Profile of Meng
Sony is exposing magic tricks in a commercial to promote the slow motion features of their new Xperia XZ smart phone.

Quote Sony:
"Could Super slow motion reveal what the eye can't and uncover the magic behind the tricks?"

They not only show Crazy Man's Handcuffs in slow motion and close up (beside other tricks and sleights), they even name it correctly.
The London-based "magician" who was willing to be filmed calls himself The Chelsea Joker.

What do you think?

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
2710 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Wow. Talk about showing the work
Why call it common sense when it's so rare ?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1332 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Hm. Didn't even need the slowmo to see the snap change.

As Immorten Joe would say, "Mediocre!"
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4621 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That's a shame. Another Masked Magician who can't make it legitimately and selling out.

Who knows how many folks will see the commercial and the sponge ball and card moves are just moves, so easy enough to avoid by workers until the dust settles. But Crazy Man's Handcuffs? That is a staple in so many workers' repertoires. And has always been pretty secret since it can't easily be put into a magic set. What a shame. Hopefully this just blows over.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
52 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I hate exposure of any kind, but how many people watch commercials anymore? If I watch a TV show live, I start it 20 minutes late so that I can fast forward through the commercials. I don't text a lot, but I imagine a lot of people use commercials as a good time to check their other devices. This doesn't seem like a "stop everything and watch this" type of production. Hopefully it will have a limited viewership.
tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
148 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
I haven't seen it on TV yet but I opened it up in Youtube just to give it a thumbs down.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4890 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't like the exposure and haven't seen the commercial either but unless this is several different commercials, it seems awfully long.
Where the magic begins
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1010 Posts

Profile of Nash
To be honest, even in slow motion, I don't think lay people can really pinpoint how Crazy Man's Handcuff works, let alone remembers it enough that when they see a magician does it live that they'll know the secret. From a marketing perspective, that's actually pretty ingenious of Sony to promote their slow-motion capability.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
MJE
View Profile
Loyal user
After all these years,I STILL have only
286 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, Nash wrote:
To be honest, even in slow motion, I don't think lay people can really pinpoint how

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Nash. Unless your goal is to make people think that what they think they see is the reality, something like this may even lead to a greater appreciation of the skill involved. You can see something happen in the slo-mo shot of C.M. Handcuffs, but what you see isn't explained. We know what we're seeing because we know what we're looking for, but the vast population has no idea. The other effects shown add credence to the "hand is quicker than the eye" theory, which is actually true once in a while. I see nothing horribly sinister in this ad. I see a smart marketing idea and possibly even a good talking point for talented closeup entertainers.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
4983 Posts

Profile of pepka
His sponge ball vanish didn't look that good at REGULAR speed.
mantel
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of mantel
I hope the "exposure" is worth it. That's the joke and funnily enough he's calling himself a joker.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
690 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I too dislike exposure when done for no other reason to make a quick buck. Think about it this really isn't any different than all the exposure on youtube... Ultimately magic will suffer when the mystery is gone.

Just my $.02
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4402 Posts

Profile of Paul
Chelsea Joker? Chelsea Dick more like. Smile
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Anything for a buck. Disgusting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Sony reveals magic secrets in Xperia commercial! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL