The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Copper Silver Routine (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
PaulIngram
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of PaulIngram
My take on the copper silver routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqahEB-m2ds

Which routine do you use and why?

Hope you enjoy...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7597 Posts

Profile of funsway
I wrote some nice thoughts here, but they have vanished. I will do again later Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7719 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Paul, welcome to the Café, and I like your "take" there. Smile

Copper Silver routines are some of the best routines you can do. They are easy to follow and can be quite amazing to people.

For me, I have a few that I like to do, but some favorites are my MB Transpo and one of my latest, Copper Silver INC.. I do them interchangeably at different times and they are always some devilish fun. Smile

And here's another old favorite you might like... Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J7W-5ter1k

Again, "welcome," and keep up the great work out there across the pond...Some wonderful magic and magicians out that way. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
PaulIngram
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of PaulIngram
Mb217 - Nice work with some original thinking and a great ending!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2086 Posts

Profile of warren
I have used the copper/silver transpo routine Micheal Ammar taught on his easy to master tapes many years, it's performed up close, uses regular coin, has an instant reset and finishes with a transposition in the spectators hand it's pretty hard to beat.

In the past I've played around with a version I picked up from the late great Aldo Colombini which uses the well known gaff and a new one I've started playing with is Samoya although I've taken out one phase and added a transpo that happens in the spectators hands that I picked up from Jonathan Kamm.

As you can guess I'm a big fan of magic that happens in the spectators hands I can't think of anything stronger.
PaulIngram
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of PaulIngram
Warren - thanks for your comments, I do have a phase that finishes with a transposition in the spectator's hands that I sometimes use instead of the effect with the ring.

Thanks for your comments.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Home Of The Motor City Close-Up Convention
531 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Marion, Very nicely done. I loved the ending. Smile
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Something that makes a nice phase in routines like this is old school - Vernon's Expansion of Texture. It has audience participation and an audio moment-of-magic that makes it quite strong. Not too many people do it these days, but I think it is a gem that deserves not to be overlooked.

Here's Ammar doing his version - starts at 3:48: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EyFuHB6wPM
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2660 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Presto Changeo is my fave
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7719 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey thanks Paul and Mo, glad you guys like it. Smile

"ReViSiTed" is a special effect for me and one of my very best, as it evolved from my journey with a wonderful move. Smile I originally, in my early-on "Short Pockets" offering, had a little trick called the "MB Transpo," which was developed to better show off the move. Well, it all grew into longer effects behind added finesses to this most visual change as you see it. And Mo, that finale has always been the cherry-on-top for specs and for me too. Smile

So, in further speaking (& showing) here of Copper Silver play...Here's another one out of my humble bag of tricks... Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jah5u3HP6iM
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7597 Posts

Profile of funsway
Another early morning and an attempt to recreate my post of yesterday that mysteriously disappeared after displaying. Sigh!

I find many special parts of this performance to be appreciated, though several would have to be "translated" in other settings and cultures.
But, that is what "audience engagement" is all about, no?

It is good to see the C/S theme taken beyond just a "color change" and the coins given a reason for being.

The use of the pocket as a delay in the reveal offers variety and disconnect -- great! I might use that is some other effects.

With the repeat phase there is some danger in using the same sleights, but that is probably not noticed by a casual audience. For possible repeat audiences some alternative handlings might be considered.

I am not sure if the use of the borrowed ring adds or subtracts to the "memory of magic" even though it probably increases entertainment value.
Since I like the personification of the coins, the use of the ring somehow seems disrespectful to the story line.

But, you are "here and now" with the audience and may well change the presentation to meet the needs - great.

when I have presented such routines, I always look for the opportunity to perform a C/S transportation in the hands of a spectator (or between two)
I can thank Mb for encouraging me to push though my crippled hand problems and focus on coin effects again.

I could not do many of the moves described in "Short Pockets" and had to find alternative methods. Mb and Tim Feher supported this.

Now, I am happy to see that Mb has joined in.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of kenedho
I miss Tim Feher. Where is he?
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
270 Posts

Profile of Griff
Paul I enjoyed watching this. Really liked your patter. I love watching true "in the trenches" pros do their thing for people who pay them to do it. Obviously your clients loved it. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Also...MB, loved it man!
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
671 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Great work Paul - nice piece of working magic. Could perhaps add the final transpo so it happens in the spectators hands too, as the final climax but a lovely piece of work. Mb - great as always!
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18522 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Years ago Francis Carlisle taught me his using a Morgan dollar and a penny. Never seen anything AS GOOD.
Smile Smile Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7719 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Could you show us Pete, sounds like a winner...How about a video of it? Smile

andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
23 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
Paul and MB... Absolutely great stuff. I must have been about 8 or 9 years old when my grandmother used to take me for a walk from where we lived on 82nd and Broadway down to Times Square. On the way we would stop off at the Penny Arcade and then Circle Magic where she would let me see demos and buy one or two tricks for me. As you would imagine, c/s was one of the first coin effects I picked up and learned. (In 1960 it was a lot cheaper too!)

What the two of you have reminded us of is the fact the sheer joy, the wonder and mystery that a good magi offers can be accomplished with the simplest of items if it is accompanied by the right presentation, as we say, the patter. I think a lot of demos we see these days are more about the mechanics, the effect itself rather than the art, the theater as it were which is only limited by imagination.

If asked I am hard pressed to name favorite directors or movies because I love so many of them. I would not be surprised if others here would agree that Christopher Nolan is one of the most brilliant and imaginative directors and writers around. I am sure all of you remember these lines:

Quote Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige".Unquote

― Christopher Priest, The Prestige (Book, Adapted for the screenplay by Nolan)

Again, it is not about the gimmick or the secret. They have no power without the imagination and presentation of the magi.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7719 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, thanks 41...appreciate the nice words here, and glad you like the work. Smile

And I agree with you as to Copper Silver effects, they're about the simplest coin tricks to do but they play so big, always nice amazement as the coins change places. And love the quotations you used...I think they speak to simplicity at to things. It all jibes with my philosophy, that "Less is More." Smile

Here's another one I did years back now. It's been fun for me to watch how effect grew into another one for me as my journey opened up along the way.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq1gBgPGVHY

*Oh, and welcome to the Café, happy to have you. Smile

andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
MB, man that was a great video. Absolutely love the style. Very classy. I am sure that has lured many a woman into your lair Smile
Where do you live by the way?
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
Oh, I forgot to ask you. What do you think is the best set to use. I have had a number over the years. Ever get stuff from Roy Kuepers?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Copper Silver Routine (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL