The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What do you do once you've found the 4 aces (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
777 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, Medifro wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, fonda57 wrote:
Rock n Roll Aces and then Jack Carpenter's A Dance for the Devious, which vanishes the aces one by one


I had a look at Rock n Roll Aces and I couldn't see the difference between that and Jazz Aces unless I'm missing something ?


Someone had a ground breaking idea: change one of the e.counts to something else. A truly original contribution.

The 80s were different times.


Hahahaha. Exactly.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5367 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, fonda57 wrote:
Rock n Roll Aces and then Jack Carpenter's A Dance for the Devious, which vanishes the aces one by one


I had a look at Rock n Roll Aces and I couldn't see the difference between that and Jazz Aces unless I'm missing something ?

Yes, you're missing something. They are very different.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Open with 'Teeter Tooter Aces' followed by 'Famous Aces' both by John Guasaferro. Then put deck away, do a couple coin things, then back out with new deck.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1089 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
"""What do you do once you've found the 4 aces ?"""

Taking care that I don't loose them again.
I am busy enough to search all day for my glasses and the remote control for the TV.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2534 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, fonda57 wrote:
Rock n Roll Aces and then Jack Carpenter's A Dance for the Devious, which vanishes the aces one by one


I had a look at Rock n Roll Aces and I couldn't see the difference between that and Jazz Aces unless I'm missing something ?

Yes, you're missing something. They are very different.


Magicfish perhaps you would care to expand on your answer?
You say they are very different but the two effects look very similar to me ie the aces transposing with the black cards, just incase I've put a clip of the Jazz aces I'm familiar with followed by Rock n Roll Aces as the difference must be a subtle one rather than being very different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjyRvToLpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrDkktjNcnU
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5367 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hi Warren. Not sure if you meant it but you provided a clip of someone performing Darwin Ortiz' variation called Modern Jazz Aces. Jazz Aces is by Peter Kane.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2534 Posts

Profile of warren
Hi again, my mistake however there isn't that much difference between the two effects ie Jazz Aces and Modern Jazz Aces.

I re-watched my Best Ever Collection by Harry today which contains Rock n Roll Aces and it does have some really nice subtleties but it is still very much like Jazz Aces to me or vice versa.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5367 Posts

Profile of magicfish
But there IS a difference between Jazz Aces and Modern Jazz Aces which is why Ortiz put his in print and precisely why Lorayne put his in print.
Similarities? Sure. Differences? Absolutely.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2534 Posts

Profile of warren
Magicfish if you were to ask a lay person to describe either of those three effects to another lay person they would all basically describe the same thing as it is indeed the same plot, therefore I would class them as variations of the same effect rather than them being very different.

I asked originally what people like to do once they have produced the aces however rather than add to the discussion you've picked up on the fact I said Rock n Roll Aces looked very similar to Jazz Aces making a bold statement that they are very different.

The handlings might be different but the plot is pretty much the same, just because someone puts something in print doesn't mean that its vastly different so once again can you clarify what it is that's very different between those effects and feel free to do it via pm if you think it would mean exposing methods ?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5367 Posts

Profile of magicfish
As Ortiz has written, you cannot change the handling without changing the effect.
Kane's Jazz Aces is a great trick.
Ortiz' Modern Jazz Aces is a great trick.
Lorayn's Rock and Roll Aces is a great trick.
There are dozens of wonderful hanglings of this delighful plot throughout the literature. Some, quite similar like Ortiz' and Kane's, some with quite different opening sequences like Lorayne's, some with kicker endings etc.
Why haven't you pointed out how similar Ortiz' is to Kane's? And why does it even matter?
I guess my question is,
What was your motive for singling out the Lorayne routine?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2534 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, magicfish wrote:
As Ortiz has written, you cannot change the handling without changing the effect.
Kane's Jazz Aces is a great trick.
Ortiz' Modern Jazz Aces is a great trick.
Lorayn's Rock and Roll Aces is a great trick.
There are dozens of wonderful hanglings of this delighful plot throughout the literature. Some, quite similar like Ortiz' and Kane's, some with quite different opening sequences like Lorayne's, some with kicker endings etc.
Why haven't you pointed out how similar Ortiz' is to Kane's? And why does it even matter?
I guess my question is,
What was your motive for singling out the Lorayne routine?


I didn't intentionally single out Harry's effect and why would I ?

When someone mentioned Rock n Roll Aces I looked up the effect and it was very similar to Jazz Aces so as I was expecting something different I mentioned it, with regards to Modern Jazz Aces and the original Jazz Aces, nobody mentioned Modern Jazz Aces until you pointed out the clip I posted was in fact not Jazz Aces so why would I have mentioned it if I thought they were one and the same effect however it would appear you have taken my comment the wrong way hence your comments.

For the record I'm a big fan of Harry's work and always have been I'm one of the members here on the Café who can appreciate just how special Harry is to the world of magic.

When you say why does it matter you my friend were the one who stated they were very different from each other I just asked you to expand on that as your comment didn't really add to the discussion.

Once again though as you seem to have derailed the topic please explain how these effects are very different from each other rather than being variations of the same plot ?



It might be wiser to just admit that the effects are very similar to each other and that you were merely trying to have a bit of a snipe at me as you thought I was trying to belittle the great Harry Lorayne which hopefully you now realise was never my intention.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
599 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Let's be fair and honest. they do look like each other.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
777 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Lol it's not even Harry's trick.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7756 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Lol which is why I credit Peter Marshall on my "Best Ever" DVD and in Apocalypse - since he's the one who showed it/taught it to me. Thanks much for pointing that out, Mr. Pupkin.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2534 Posts

Profile of warren
Hey Harry I took a look at your Best Ever DVD this morning and really liked your Halo Aces variation that used the indicator card and kicker royal flush....very nice 😊
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5367 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, magicfish wrote:
As Ortiz has written, you cannot change the handling without changing the effect.
Kane's Jazz Aces is a great trick.
Ortiz' Modern Jazz Aces is a great trick.
Lorayn's Rock and Roll Aces is a great trick.
There are dozens of wonderful hanglings of this delighful plot throughout the literature. Some, quite similar like Ortiz' and Kane's, some with quite different opening sequences like Lorayne's, some with kicker endings etc.
Why haven't you pointed out how similar Ortiz' is to Kane's? And why does it even matter?
I guess my question is,
What was your motive for singling out the Lorayne routine?


I didn't intentionally single out Harry's effect and why would I ?

When someone mentioned Rock n Roll Aces I looked up the effect and it was very similar to Jazz Aces so as I was expecting something different I mentioned it, with regards to Modern Jazz Aces and the original Jazz Aces, nobody mentioned Modern Jazz Aces until you pointed out the clip I posted was in fact not Jazz Aces so why would I have mentioned it if I thought they were one and the same effect however it would appear you have taken my comment the wrong way hence your comments.

For the record I'm a big fan of Harry's work and always have been I'm one of the members here on the Café who can appreciate just how special Harry is to the world of magic.

When you say why does it matter you my friend were the one who stated they were very different from each other I just asked you to expand on that as your comment didn't really add to the discussion.

Once again though as you seem to have derailed the topic please explain how these effects are very different from each other rather than being variations of the same plot ?



It might be wiser to just admit that the effects are very similar to each other and that you were merely trying to have a bit of a snipe at me as you thought I was trying to belittle the great Harry Lorayne which hopefully you now realise was never my intention.

Well then my friend, seems you have it all figured out. How nice.
However you are incorrect- again.
But I see you are digging your heels in on something we disagree on fundamentally so I will not partake any further.

I have already stated how Rock and Roll Aces differs from Kane's Jazz Aces.
Same plot, different hadling= different effect.
You disagree. Oh well.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2534 Posts

Profile of warren
I agree let's agree to disagree 😊
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7756 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Incidentally, I never said Rock & Roll aces was mine - as mentioned above - I credited it in my "Best Ever" DVD set and in APOCALYPSE - to Peter Marshall. The couple of times in the thread where someone said "Lorayne's Rock & Roll Aces" they obviously meant the routine I PUBLISHED - WITH CREDIT TO PETER MARSHALL.

Have a nice holiday weekend.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2017, warren wrote:
Hey Harry I took a look at your Best Ever DVD this morning and really liked your Halo Aces variation that used the indicator card and kicker royal flush....very nice 😊


I sometimes lose and then find aces with HaLo Aces, and then (having done a quick set up) go into Darwin Ortiz' Jumpin Gemini! Lynn
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
599 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
If it was my trick, I'd appreciate it if someone mentioned my name if it's in a heat discussion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What do you do once you've found the 4 aces (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL