The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Zodiac Book Test by Theory 11 (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Yet another book test (but I'm a sucker/connoisseur for/of them).

The 'Zodiac Book Test', as used by David Copperfield apprently. Some impressive claims are made about it - any book, and they can choose the page, line number and word number. Impressive conditions.

I shall await reviews...

https://store.theory11.com/products/zodiac

Very best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Seems good but I do really wonder if you can take ANY book you want. Or do you have to "load" each book you selected into a special "thing" that will help you during performance ?

For me, a "book test" is when the word is only thought of, and the performer can divine it. If he knows its position in the book because the spectators just said it, it lessens the effect imho.

Based on this reflexion, one could better present this effect as a extremely powerful memory demonstration. Indeed, as soon as a page / line / word numbers trio is said, if you had this type of memory, you could easily say the word... The spectator can indeed think "he knows all the book by heart".

What do you guys think ?

Also, "As long as you have an iPhone or Android device - you're ready to go." WTF ? Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, doriancaudal wrote:

Also, "As long as you have an iPhone or Android device - you're ready to go." WTF ? Smile

Yes, this did rather give me an idea as to how it might work. But this then lead to the thought, as I think it did with you also, whether it can really be "any" book. I imagine the books will have to be precisely formatted, if you take my meaning. But enough open speculation I suppose.

Very best,
Francis
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
Very interesting indeed. I have a proof of concept that I have saved in my ideas folder that allows this with any magazine, but after further thought it would work for books too.
I will be following this closely
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, doriancaudal wrote:

Penn and Teller seemed to catch on to that when it was performed on Fool Us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQXbeGZPe8

Anyway, the copy also mentions "with some brilliant, high-tech features that made it even BETTER."...which in the uncut performance on T11's site, I can only see one place where something like that might potentially come in to play (a fantastic, clean presentation too by the way).

All this is to say that If it's what I think/hope, this could be pretty sweet.

Very close to purchasing but think I will hold out for a review or two. For me, Im hoping this could be practical in the sense where you could be at someones house, and with minimal prep (of the technological sort? ), pull a few books out from their library and get into it from there.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I purchased it and it is VERY good. Had they not included the line in the ad copy about the phones, I don't think anyone would have a clue how it works after watching the demo - with that said, it does give you a hint to lead you down the garden path to the method. But in performance, this would fool everyone.

I don't want to reveal much more, but the product is very well designed and is an expanded and improved version of Steve Skindell's Ultimate Book Test (Steve worked with T11 on this).

The performance on T11's site does not use an accomplice, though you can go that route if your performance setting allows it. There are also multiple ways to perform this- you do not need the notepad in some versions and this is very versatile. You will know the word before they look it up in the book and it really can be ANY word in the ungimmicked book(s) you offer them. How you reveal it is up to you and your presentation. The dictionary reveal is optional. You can present this as remote viewing, a prediction or a more traditional book test presentation. The key here is this allows them to choose any word in the book, with no force, and once they choose the location of the word, you will have all the necessary information before they even open the book.

There are some limitations: you will need your phone, as they indicate in the ad copy, and you will need to have service or an internet connection. (If you use the accomplice method and have a smart watch, you are even cleaner than they teach in the explanation). The books are completely ungimmicked, but as of this time, it only works with 10 different distinct issues of books. I can see them potentially adding more books down the line, but don't think it's necessary as the compatible books are classics. This is designed for you to have these books on you, whether it's around your house or as part of your show. The chances of going to a buddy's house and them having that exact issue of the book in their library will be a long shot. If you are using the accomplice method, you can use any book (not just the 10), but still isn't impromptu (I don't want to say more to protect the method).

If those limitations don't bother you, then honestly this is the best book test out there in my opinion as it's completely hands off and their selection is unrestricted. My problem with most book tests is there is usually a logical leap that can be made to the method, or at least a way it could be done. With this version, there is nowhere to logically backtrack the method for spectators.

I hope that information helps you make an informed decision, but it gets my highest recommendation.

I can see this being a real contender for trick of the year.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Thanks for that informative review TuneHV/David.
Everything you say fits what I had suspected regarding method, but it is very clever, and it appears in performance, and to a spectator, extraordinarily clean and fair, making it an impressive addition to the b*** t*** canon. There are many ways to skin this cat, and I have many I'm very happy with, but I do like the perceived fairness and openness of this one.

I will inevitably purchase it myself, though I would perfer to purchase it from the UK to avoid shipping charges. Anyone know if any UK shops will be stocking it?

Thanks again.

Very best,
Francis
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I don't get what "power" is being exhibited in this? Mind reading? Memory? Doesn't REALLY seem like either in the demo. It seems like it exhibiting the power of a phone haha
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
I don't get what "power" is being exhibited in this? Mind reading? Memory? Doesn't REALLY seem like either in the demo. It seems like it exhibiting the power of a phone haha

The dictionary reveal is one optional routine. It can be presented more traditionally, where they name a location on a random page, look up the word, and you read their mind and reveal it how you wish. Or a memory demonstration, prediction, etc. it's very open ended how you want to present this.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
I agree that the demo is, while clean and 'professional', not exactly an evocative performance, for want of a better term (it ain't Derren Brown). However, as a trailer it does its job in a short amount of time - it "shows us the trick".

As TunaHV says above, and from what I understand myself from my own musings, one could present this, in a number of ways - prediction, mind-reading, influence, guided by a spirit, etc. As you are aware, given the knowledge you display in your reviews etc., like many/most 'tricks', one could present it according to one's own sensibilities.

Incidentally, the trailer was obviously filmed in the same shoot as Spidey's 'Akkelian Envelopes'.

Oh, and thanks for all the helpful, clear and informative reviews you post.

Very best,
Francis
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I love how technology has made this possible. Now I got what Penn Gillette meant when referring to the magnifying glass (I have a previous iteration of the same technology). Awesome. Mind is spinning with possibilities, not just limited to the book test...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Hey guys!

Spidey here. SOOOOooooo lots to answer

first of all, let me clarify the "any book" it's not ANY BOOK in the world. When we say the spectator has a free choice of book we mean, amongst the books in front of them (a dozen or so books, all very well known titles)

secondly. Fool Us....argggg.... so I combine Zodiac with a peek. If you don't, it's a memory demonstration, if you do, it's mentalism. I use either Akkelian Envelopes or Sneak Peek to know the page number they want. On fool us, I went with a high tech impression device. When Penn was talking about Technology, he was referencing my peek. They spent VERY little time talking about what happens after the peek and I decided to not put up a fight.

I've shown zodiac to DOZENS of magicians. None suspected tech, none suspected anything really... it IS a fooler.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Spidey, when I was talking about technology I was referring about the high tech impression device used at Fool Us of course.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
Will it work in any language?
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Do we have to go out and buy the books that allow for this to work?
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2017, jaizon wrote:
Do we have to go out and buy the books that allow for this to work?

It comes with one book. You will have to buy others if you want to give them a few to choose from.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, BSpideyA wrote:

secondly. Fool Us....argggg.... so I combine Zodiac with a peek. If you don't, it's a memory demonstration, if you do, it's mentalism. I use either Akkelian Envelopes or Sneak Peek to know the page number they want. On fool us, I went with a high tech impression device. When Penn was talking about Technology, he was referencing my peek. They spent VERY little time talking about what happens after the peek and I decided to not put up a fight.

Thanks for the info Spidey. Yes, I noticed on P and T that they had only seemed to refer to the p*** and not the to the main content, i.e. the book, part of the performance, which was a little frustrating. I noticed your hand go up as if to say, "Hang on, what about the main part of the effect!" but in this situation with the show already beginning to move on, with the music already started etc., it seems they weren't hanging about to further the conversation unfortunately!

Do you know if this is going to be stocked by any UK suppliers? (Oh, and I really liked your envelopes, by the way.)

Very best,
Francis
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
So I assume this in English language dependant only...
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
So my question is, can I adapt this to using a book of my own choice and set everything up I need to so it will work for that book?

Essentially, is there customization available?

I was thrown off by the "any book" advertising.

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ Doesn't appear to be the case.

Based on TuneHVs review (And Spiders post), Looks like it is possible with ten classic books. With possibility of more being added. They can choose from ANY of those.

I was thrown by the "ANY" copy too.

Now, the copy states that there is a phone in play (and technology)...which implies the possible method. Which, reading between the lines, could explain why there are limits (for now) of only ten books.

that's the way I am understanding the info being presented so far.

Either way, I think its pretty cool that the ten books are classic/evergreen books everyone would know. They are ungimmicked, legit copies, and completely clean. Plus no forces or things like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Zodiac Book Test by Theory 11 (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL