The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Junky by Docc Hilford (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Yes, you're right about that.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The only thing wrong, not "a lot", is the lack of crediting.

It should have been credited as Henry Christ's routine.

But there is nothing wrong with releasing a video of your take on a public domain routine.

Richard Osterlind, Banacheck, and Bob Cassidy have all released similar products.

Tony
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I'm wondering if Bobo and Mendoza should have also given credit to Christ.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
My problem with it is that Mental Stud and Junky are the exact same effecct. Even in the MS writeup it says to peek at a card and not fan them to think of a card and that is exactly what Doc says in the video.

MS is a trick that you might skip over in the Annemann book an credit goes out to Doc for bringing it to light but jeeeez, you have to give credit to Henry Christ because he is the original creator.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
This thread has an identity crisis.

On the one hand, we have people here discussing the merits of the routine itself. On the other hand, we have people discussing the issue of crediting.

I think it's fair to say that we all know it's a good trick. It's been a good trick since 1939. Therefore, I personally think it's appropriate for this thread to be about crediting. Who knows, maybe Docc simply didn't know the Christ routine and really did manage to reinvent it (?). Unlikely, but it's at least conceivable.

Docc himself should make a public statement on this.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
maybe Docc simply didn't know the Christ routine and really did manage to reinvent it (?). Unlikely, but it's at least conceivable. Docc himself should make a public statement on this.

Part of the ad copy: "Docc Hilford has taken a little known underground secret and made it so much better."
One has to simply look at Docc's past releases to see a pattern.

But I love Docc. $10/15 to watch him work is worth it regardless of the effect.

s
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, truman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I'm wondering if Bobo and Mendoza should have also given credit to Christ.

Mendoza's routine is not based on the Christ routine. It is based on the method that Christ/Annemann call "the old schoolboy trick" which is the underlying method that all versions of this effect use.

Tony
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Tony,

My apologies. Can you PM me, so I can message you back? I would like to ask a question (and your PM function is turned off).

Thanks,

Sean
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I know Henry Christ's "Mental Stud" from The Jinx and it's a great trick which is based on a classic matrix principle (Conjuring Credits: http://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php?id=cards:matrix_card_divination).

I haven't seen Docc Hilford's "Junky", but from the reviews etc. it looks like it's the same trick. I don't know how much Mr. Hillford added to the trick, but he's a smart guy so I can only guess his touches/suggestions are worth the price of the download.

(Quick tangent - this reminds me of a download that was released some time ago, which is basically a trick from Royal Road to Card Magic, plus some subtleties, touches etc.)

It's obvious that we're not coming up with new card plots every week and what you're working on right now is a variation of an existing trick/plot. Magic books are filled with that type of material, and maybe the fact it's a single trick download, it's received/looked at that way... I don't know. But, of course, proper crediting is a must.

I think when you're adding some significant things and have proper crediting/permission to publish stuff, you're good to go. The small touches hidden in many variations can make a big difference.

Mike
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, Nicolino wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2017, truman wrote:
Do I understand correctly that the Henry Christ, J. B. Bobo, and John Mendoza effects are all essentially the same? If so, and if Christ was first, did Bobo or Mendoza credit him (or anyone else for that matter)? I purchased Junky, and I'm quite happy that I did. Docc's performance is fun to watch, and he has a gift for explaining things clearly.

For a mere $5.95 you get 60 brilliant (and original!) effects by such legendary cardmen as Dai Vernon, Dr. Jacob Daley, Eddie Clever, Audley Walsh, Henry Christ, Charles Jordan, John Scarne, Leo Horowitz, Walter Gibson, Orville Meyer, Ted Annemann and other.

For $15 you get one single effect, devised and scripted by one of the above.

Does that sound right?

What ebook are you referring to, Nicolino?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I'm assuming the Jinx
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Either the Jinx itself or this compilation:

https://trickshop.com/annemann-miracles-card-magic.html
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
What value...unbelievable.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2017, Nicolino wrote:
What value...unbelievable.

Thank you Nicolino!
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Thanks, guys! Now downloading to my iPad...
MinSting
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
192 Posts

Profile of MinSting
Can't remember the trick that uses a deck of card made out of object,

this deck could be much better for this mental trick, you tell them to think about him interacting with think object
end you take a guess, that must be pretty accurate no matter what, making it look mind reading...

can you guys remember the name of this deck?
MinSting
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
192 Posts

Profile of MinSting
Somethind Docc don't mention is the fact the method is adaptable to work with 3 spectators too,
same method, just 12 cards,
3 spectators, 12 cards,
4 spectators, 20 cards,
5 spectators, 30 cards,
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
I sent an e-mail to penguin about Henry's Mental Stud being pretty much the same thing. Here's the response I got, take your own conclusions:

Shaun Dunn, Sep 21, 05:20 PDT:
To some the addition of poker chips is a small contribution but I think it is huge. I personally do not have the ability to read the dates on the backs of coins in low lights conditions. I can't imagine that many people can read the dates from a distant and in fact, most people have to pick up a coin and closely examine it to see what the date is. The Henry Christ version really isn't doable for most people and Junky makes it possible to actually perform it. Also I think you get a lot of value in seeing Docc perform and how he handles the cards.

I really do appreciate your interest in preserving the history of magic creations however I think this small addition is worthwhile and necessary part of the effect.
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
MinSting,
YES!
Thank you!
Man, Junky rules.
It's an old premiss, with a new streamline presentation.
I have been opening with it at the dinner theater for weeks.
And WAAAAAY to cheap!
LOL
Docc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Junky by Docc Hilford (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL