The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Matthew 5:13-16 Salt and Light Gospel Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2701 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: I have not worked out the entire routine yet, but I am pretty enthuseed about the possibilities. In a few weeks, in our kids Sunday School, we are reviewing Matthew 5:13-16. This is a wonderful passage on our being "salt" and "light". After Googling "Jesus Teaches About Salt and Light / Mission Bible Class" , "Salt of the Earth (Object Lesson) Teach Them" and "Salt and Light Routine for Kids": more than enough information came up on the importance and use of salt in the Roman economy.

I really enjoy Levent's Super Salt Pour Gimic www.leventmagic.com for $39.00. I intend to begin the routine talking first aboout being a light: displaying a filled Light Bulb Salt Shaker (they are available in both silver and gold tops- sell for about $10.00 by "Thumbs Up") filled with salt- but it looks like a white light bulb only at that point. Then we will talk about the part of the passage on not putting the light under a bowl (verse 15) - and of course the pour gimic is stuck via double sided tape/hidden to the inside the opaque bowl. We will discuss what it means to be a "light" for all to see, not hidden.

Then from the light bulb shaped salt shaker, I will pour the salt into my closed fist while talking to the kids about the importance of salt and what Jesus meant by us acting like "salt" to those around us.

The salt can then be poured again later directly into the bowl per the Levent routine at the end- how our being "salt" can be multipled in blessing others much more than we would ever know or imagine sometimes.

In addition, "redbubble" sells "Salt and Light" stickers which I hope to place one on the side of the large bowl (which is being used to cover the light per the Bible passage, hide the salt pour gimic and receive the poured salt from my fist). Any other ideas out there on this passage? Smile
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1850 Posts

Profile of tbaer
MagicBus,

For the 'light' effect I use this routine.

Pour water into a clear bowl. Take pepper and shake a lot of pepper into the water. The pepper will float on top of the water. Make sure the entire bowl of water is full of pepper. Tell the kids the bowl of water represents the world. Tell the kids the pepper represents sin and all kinds of bad influences that are in the world.

Dip a regular light bulb in the water and show how the pepper sticks to it. See how someone or certain things of this world can have a bad influence on you if you’re not careful. See how sin can slowly creep into your life if you aren’t careful. So you have to be careful of the friends you choose, the music you listen to, the TV shows you watch, the video games you play, and the movies you go and watch.

Tell the kids the magic/atomic light bulb represents Jesus. Now dip the magic/atomic light bulb into the water and the pepper spreads toward the outside of the bowl. Do you see how the pepper runs away from the light? That’s because bad influences and sin cannot be in the presence of the light of Jesus.

Something like this.

If your not familiar with how the pepper spreads to the side of the bowl and doesn't stick to the magic/atomic lightbulb , let me know and I can tell you.

Tom
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2701 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Great idea! I know I have a "magic light bulb" from years ago lying around someplace. I just "googled" "atomic light bulb" and I see these are still available- even in this age of LED lighting! It won't be long and kids won't even know what a light bulb is...
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
550 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Both routines are great!
I used to do a homemade version of a salt in light bulb. I turned on a lamp and talked about being a light. I turned it off lamp, unscrewed the bulb and poured out salt and talked about being the salt of the earth.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Matthew 5:13-16 Salt and Light Gospel Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL