The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I'll try this again. (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2593 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2017, paul180 wrote:
As I get older 56 this past July, I find it harder to use sight for gaining information. While I can still CT, some of the wallets and gizmos used in or art have become almost useless to me. Do any other older mentalists, have suggestions as to how to deal with this problem?

If answering this in a open forum seems like exposure, please pm me. Thank you.

Paul, the Mentalist Mastermind group has come up with a solution that I think you will really like.

The solution is: Use a Pendulum

Now, I did not know much about Pendulums. However, Patrick gave a masterful demonstration on Pendulums that really opened my eyes.

Among many, many other things, Patrick described how a pendulum could be used to reveal the name of a playing card. First it could reveal whether the card is black or red, then number or picture, then even or odd, and so on.

At that time, with your post on my mind, I commented that this would provide perfect cover for a performer to stare right at a billet for a very, very long time.

In this case, let's say a participant wrote the name of a playing card on a billet.

You have performed your favorite Swxxxh or Cxxtxr Txxr or Acixxx Noxxs get-ready, or otherwise have the info hidden in the palm of your hand or in your lap via your favorite method.

Now, just hold the pendulum so that the billet (palmed or otherwise) is in its sight line.

You will stare intently at the pendulum as it slowly begins to move, and then moves this way and that way. You will also get a ridiculously extended peek at the billet.

Now, that is fine for a playing card. But what about everything else?

Well, it occurred to me that the game of Twenty Questions would do the trick.

The participant writes the name of any object on a billet, and the performer asks various questions. The pendulum answers Yes or No, and eventually the performer arrives at the answer.

But how to present this?

I made these two hooks up just now, and I think you will like them.

Option One - The performer is psychic, but mostly on an unconscious level. The pendulum allows the performer's unconscious mind to reveal information via the ideo-motor response.

Option Two - Something spooky is going on. The performer is not moving the pendulum at all. Something else is. Either that or something spooky has taken control of the performer's ideo-motor response.

Credits:
Lots of people have used the 20 Questions game for mental effects. I think I have something in one of my supplements. But the earliest source that comes to mind is George Anderson's "It must be Mind Reading".

Note: I received permission from all members of the Mentalist Mastermind group to share this information with you. Thanks guys!

Elliott
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
72 Posts

Profile of RiBo
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2017, ElliottB wrote:
Quote:
As I get older 56 this past July, I find it harder to use sight for gaining information. While I can still CT, some of the wallets and gizmos used in or art have become almost useless to me. Do any other older mentalists, have suggestions as to how to deal with this problem?

Paul, the Mentalist Mastermind group has come up with a solution that I think you will really like.

Now, I did not know much about Pendulums. However, Patrick gave a masterful demonstration on Pendulums that really opened my eyes.

Among many, many other things, Patrick described how a pendulum could be used to reveal the name of a playing card. First it could reveal whether the card is black or red, then number or picture, then even or odd, and so on.

At that time, with your post on my mind, I commented that this would provide perfect cover for a performer to stare right at a billet for a very, very long time.

In this case, let's say a participant wrote the name of a playing card on a billet.

You have performed your favorite Swxxxh or Cxxtxr Txxr or Acixxx Noxxs get-ready, or otherwise have the info hidden in the palm of your hand or in your lap via your favorite method.

Now, just hold the pendulum so that the billet (palmed or otherwise) is in its sight line.

You will stare intently at the pendulum as it slowly begins to move, and then moves this way and that way. You will also get a ridiculously extended peek at the billet.

The participant writes the name of any object on a billet, and the performer asks various questions. The pendulum answers Yes or No, and eventually the performer arrives at the answer.

But how to present this?

Option One - The performer is psychic, but mostly on an unconscious level. The pendulum allows the performer's unconscious mind to reveal information via the ideo-motor response.

Option Two - Something spooky is going on. The performer is not moving the pendulum at all. Something else is. Either that or something spooky has taken control of the performer's ideo-motor response.

Credits:
Lots of people have used the 20 Questions game for mental effects. I think I have something in one of my supplements. But the earliest source that comes to mind is George Anderson's "It must be Mind Reading".

Note: I received permission from all members of the Mentalist Mastermind group to share this information with you. Thanks guys!

Elliott

As another whose eyesight ain't what it used to be, I think this concept is brilliant. Could just as readily be applied to marked cards or other information that would normally suggest the briefest of glances. Nice work Elliot!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2593 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you sir!
My pleasure.
And those are some additional great ideas you added.

Elliott
paul180
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of paul180
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! I'm flabbergasted, first that you cared enough to continue working on my problem and then to be so gracious as to share it with the community. When I originally posted I know I wasn't alone in this issue and that my question would help others also. So to RiBo, I'm glad this will work for you too. Your additional ideas are also great. Gentlemen imo this is exactly the embodiment of the Café's philosophy of "magicians helping magicians" and just when I think this place has been taken over by trolls and wannabes, I'm presented with something like this. Wow! I don't know what else to say? I'm so grateful but more i"m touched again that people actually cared. THANK YOU ALL who participated and know that I will do my best to have earned such a wonderful and caring contribution.

I've asked if I could join the Mentalist Mastermind group and in fact, was suppose to be a part of yesterday's discussion but because of my misunderstanding, did not join the group on that day. I believe I now understand how it works and will hopefully be a part next week. Again gentlemen, allow me to express my most sincerest gratitude and my most genuine of praise for a group and forum that would honestly want to help and that did. Thank you again,

Paul
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2593 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you so much Paul!
Your post really made my day.

To elaborate further...

Let's say the performer will summon Boo Berry - that lovable ghost from the cereal box.

Boo Berry, are you here?

Pendulum says "Yes"

Will you help us?

Pendulum says "Yes"

Meanwhile, the performer is peeking away.

If, at any time, the pendulum starts swinging erratically on its own accord, then RUN.
You don't want to mess with Boo Berry. Even Count Chocula keeps his distance.
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, GA
282 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2017, ElliottB wrote:
Quote:

But how to present this?

Credits:

Elliott

This is great; Both in idea and spirit. This is what you hope to see in the forums. Excellent job Elliot and Mentalist Mastermind group.
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
335 Posts

Profile of Scott
ElliotB,

I know where you are coming from. I'm now in my 54th year and started wearing glasses full time when I was 40 but that was for distance so I had no problems for billet work/reading etc. Then my reading vision started to go and I needed a batman utility belt to enable to me switch glasses back and forth to walk down the street or read a book.

Tried varifocals and couldn't get on with them but my vision for reading got worse. So I started wearing reading glasses on stage which works but you can't see the audience (mind you some of the places I work that can be an advantage). So finally I decided to try varifocals again and persevered for 2 months until I finally got used to them. God send I can tell you and now I can do all the things I used to be able to do on stage.

However the period I was swapping back and forth between specs, I altered all my handling for my billet techniques, Q&A systems etc etc to enable me to get what I call a slow motion peek, so now nothing I do requires a quick peek and I can read what I need at my leisure.

Necessity being the mother of invention.

Regards

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I'll try this again. (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL