The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Egg Bag question (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
I have also found the Hobson eggs to be huge and not a great fit for my Malini bag and small hands. The Eggs-actly eggs work very well but I found them to be more fragile than anticipated. I dropped and broke one the first day I began practicing with my new egg bag. I am still experimenting with various types to find a good balance of size, weight, slipperiness and indestructibility. So far, most eggs have been too big, too heavy, too fragile or not slippery enough.
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of mindacrossrhino
The practice golf balls are an interesting idea. I actually have a number of these already as I use them from time to time as a final load in my mini chop cup! May switch this around when performing for golfers (something I've yet to do) as love the idea of the switch to a real ball at the end.

For now though I think I am wedded to the egg (incidentally the wife has been berating me for years that producing an egg from a bag is just weird, and only makes sense to another magician and that I should produce something else rather than slavishly pander to tradition:-)
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1414 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, mindacrossrhino wrote:

(incidentally the wife has been berating me for years that producing an egg from a bag is just weird, and only makes sense to another magician and that I should produce something else rather than slavishly pander to tradition:-)

Well think about it a fragile object (EGG) an bag that can be beaten twisted folded. You can not do that with an egg inside. Two opposites. That is why I like the egg. FRAGILE
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1596 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I introduce my bag as a lunch bag. The egg is a natural.
I've been thinking about taking out an apple or other fruit first. "I know that I had an egg n here ...... ", but so far, no one has ever questioned the bag. I first started doing th bag in the early 60s.
Jake
I'm so old that by the time I get ready to do the show, I'm too tired to go on stage.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2017, mindacrossrhino wrote:

(incidentally the wife has been berating me for years that producing an egg from a bag is just weird, and only makes sense to another magician and that I should produce something else rather than slavishly pander to tradition:-)

Well think about it a fragile object (EGG) an bag that can be beaten twisted folded. You can not do that with an egg inside. Two opposites. That is why I like the egg. FRAGILE

Exactly! THAT is why the egg was "involved". (For the reason mentioned, by friend Robert) These guys that use golf balls, and similar objects, miss the point! It'a not "pandering to tradition", at least not IMO!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1641 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Sometimes a little thinking goes a long way. Golf balls don't break. Eggs do. As magicians, our job is to ENTERTAIN people...........its not "The adventure of props in your hands".
Zauberman
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Eggs are funny....golf balls are, well, golf balls.
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of mindacrossrhino
You are preaching to the converted, I am a fan of the egg (just not the wife:-) I do like the idea of the golf balls for a golfing audience though (should I ever have one) as some interesting routines suggest themselves in that scenario.

I am taken with the idea of removing some fruit first from the bag and introducing it as a lunch bag. A bit of a hit on pocket space, but as I already carry two large loads (sometimes fruit) for my Chop Cup routine, I can see some sense in doubling up on their use (both routines are in different sets so I won't find myself performing both for the same groups).
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1596 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, mindacrossrhino wrote:
You are preaching to the converted, I am a fan of the egg (just not the wife:-) I do like the idea of the golf balls for a golfing audience though (should I ever have one) as some interesting routines suggest themselves in that scenario.

I am taken with the idea of removing some fruit first from the bag and introducing it as a lunch bag. A bit of a hit on pocket space, but as I already carry two large loads (sometimes fruit) for my Chop Cup routine, I can see some sense in doubling up on their use (both routines are in different sets so I won't find myself performing both for the same groups).

I came across my set of sponge multiplying bananas, and thought that it would be a good way to open the routine. Start with the bananas, (or hot dogs, or maybe pickles) first, then find the egg in the bag.
Jake
I'm so old that by the time I get ready to do the show, I'm too tired to go on stage.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13140 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I need to use an egg as my presentation requires it, so I couldn't use a golf ball, even if I wanted to.

I store my eggs-actly egg inside a largeish plastic hinged easter egg with a wee bit of sponge on each end.
I crack one every few years or so, so I keep an extra in it's box for just such an occasion.
Even if it does crack, you could still use it during your act, and replace it afterwards.

I much prefer the fragile egg concept but I wouldn't take anything away from an excellent golf theme if they had one.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18509 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
In all the years, I have never had a blown egg break, until another performer (a juggler) grabbed my egg to show me a move and dropped it. This was just before I was set to go on a TV show. I ran from the hall to the hotel kitchen got a real egg and used it for the show. I travel with an egg carrier used by campers. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1596 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've openned my egg box, (cardboard supermarket), to find an egg cracked, but don't remember ever breaking one during a performance. I much prefer a blown egg to a fake one. So easy to replace.
Jake
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5674 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2017, Rainboguy wrote:
Sometimes a little thinking goes a long way. Golf balls don't break. Eggs do. As magicians, our job is to ENTERTAIN people...........its not "The adventure of props in your hands".

I have a reason for using a golf ball. Especially for kid shows, kids would sometimes yell out that the egg is fake, distracting from the show. That doesn't happen with a golf ball. Besides, what happens when you sling a golf ball, in a bag, against your hand? It hurts like hell! You're right - I suppose I could toss a raw egg to the kid, having it make a mess all over him. But, I'm not that mean.

Hobson uses a golf ball for some shows.
bigALmagic.com

Where have some of the most valuable members gone?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1596 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It doesn't matter what you use. If your audience likes your routine, and the prop work for you, what the heck is the difference?
Jake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Egg Bag question (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL