The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MAGICSMITH presents:Steelfyre's Smoke Screen (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, aoluser wrote:
I just don't get how anyone is impressed by "hiding an electronic cigarette cleverly" is still a thing.

Five years ago, before they were everywhere, sure. But now...

Meh.

You need to use this to accentuate or mark a magic moment - I don't think it matters if they think 'electronic cigarette's in that context.
aoluser
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of aoluser
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, magic_tony wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, aoluser wrote:
I just don't get how anyone is impressed by "hiding an electronic cigarette cleverly" is still a thing.

Five years ago, before they were everywhere, sure. But now...

Meh.

You need to use this to accentuate or mark a magic moment - I don't think it matters if they think 'electronic cigarette's in that context.

I do. Because it makes it utterly unmagical. But if it works for you, cool.
ckelley
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
110 Posts

Profile of ckelley
Anyone have ideas with it not producting much smoke ? I have tried moving coils up per instructions but it doesn’t seem to get like it is in the videos and doesn’t appear to come from finger tips
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I've been using my Smoke screen for a couple of months now, and it has become permanent part of my close up show and strolling act. I bought a second one as a back up, that's how much I like it. I've worked it into two of my routines and I get fantastic reactions. I'm not sure why ckelley is having problems with smoke volume. I would say it produces a modest amount of smoke, and definitely will get noticed! If you are not happy with the volume of smoke, I suggest you do a video and send it to Chris Smith for his suggestions... Chris is a stand up guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you.

here are some suggestions on use:

1) don't use it outside or where there is strong air conditioning blowing directly above you.
2) try to have a good background - not all white Smile You won't see it as well in a dark environment or if you have a really white background. (I use a headlamp when strolling in dim room lighting)
3) I added a rubber bumper (from home depot) on the opposite side as the switch... gives me extra grip and helps me orient the device when stealing from my hold out.
4) I added a magnet on top of the shim... I find it fastens to my hold out more securely.
5) In between performances, I keep it in a tiny metal "Altoids Small" box... it fits perfectly, and in the back pocket serves as an impromptu hold out for the magnet I added.

I don't want to tip exactly how I use it in my magic, but to say, it's not a stand alone effect. People don't say Wow... where did that smoke come from! The way I use it is to enhance the magic I'm doing - it adds a moment of misdirection, mystery and punctuates my effects... For example, I use it in my coin magic to suggest silver is dissolving into the air... And it's really fun to use with borrowed object magic, such as bending spoons, rings, cell phones, etc... let your imagination go wild with this utility prop. I do comedy magic - and believe me, it can create some very funny moments.

Another handling tip, as you're holding another object (with the same hand as the device) move it along with the rising smoke - and wait for the smoke to dissipate before you release that object. This enhances the illusion.

Overall I love my smoke screen utility device for it's portability and compatibility with hold outs. They are very well made, durable and I've never had to use my back up.

PS>>> I do a lot of corporate and trade show work - I travel extensively... so far, not problems with TSA in my carry on.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
MF Tom
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of MF Tom
This smoke device is very well made and much cheaper than most of the similar ones in the market.

You can get SmokeScreen at: https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products......ic-smith

Best,
Tom
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Tom,

Are you a shill for MystiqueFactory?

Why would I get it there? I can get it directly from MagicSmith, HP, or Penguin (with free shipping).
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Being that 100% of his posts are doing such along with the MF sur name
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I wish it was flesh colored
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I took the plunge today and ordered this. I am excited with the possibilities. The tubes and cartridges always irritated me on other methods. This could be a real worker tool.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Got this today. It’s fn awesome!
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Smoke Screen – Magicsmith

Product description : Smoke everywhere! It seems that smoke is the new trend in magic and that many companies are trying to push their smoke product out. This is one of them and it’s called Smoke Screen by Magicsmith and I must say I love this company, mainly because of Double Cross which is one of my absolute all time best trick ever (forgive my English, I’m French). The idea behind it is that you will be able to produce smoke, without sleeves or complicated device. The smoke machine is so small it can fit in the palm of your hand. Let’s find out if this is as good as it looks.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $100 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic partner !

What you get : You get a hard plastic box, I very much like the packaging, it looks professional and the items inside are well protected. Inside, you’ll find a link for a pdf and an explanation video so you get to know how the device is working, what to do if the smoke begins to disappear and how to change components if needed. You’re also getting a bottle of smoke liquid, a tiny screwdriver, and some spare parts if the ones in the device begin to wear out. And of course, you get the main unit which is very well made and should last a long time if you take care of it, it’s very small and produces quite a dense smoke when you look at the size of the device. You can recharge it via USB, it’s a common micro USB cable which is provided. Overall, it’s quite a bit of a kit for $100, there are other smoke systems out there which are more expensive and you don’t get that much stuff, so overall, I’m really pleased with it!

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8U9PPA6mw

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
- What I don’t like with this product is that the resistance is not covered at all, you can burn yourself quite easily if you don’t pay attention since the heater isn’t covered.
- You can’t activate it through a remote, it has to be in your hand.

THE PROS :
- The smoke is definitely very thick and dense, I wouldn’t think such a small device could produce such a big cloud of smoke.
- It is very small, you can palm it easily and ditch it in your pocket without any problem, just let it cool down a few seconds before doing so.
- The applications are endless, since you can hide it in your hand, think about the other places you can put it, behind a borrowed phone which begins to smoke etc.. I like the variety of effects you can do with it.
- The price is really low too when you think about it, most items are like $150, $200 and this one is only a hundred bucks.
- It seems sturdy and I haven’t had any problem with it when I was using it. Magicsmith is known to produce quality products so I’m confident that this will hold up very well.

Overall rating : If you’re looking a product which produces nice cloud of smoke in your hand without heavy setup or complicated tubing, Smoke Screen is the perfect tool ! I don’t think I’ll use it but I can see many magicians pleased with it ! 3/4 hearts

As for the difficulty level, you just have to press on a button so it’s quite easy, 1/5 stars.

Similar products : Vapr by Sansminds, Cube Smoke by Joao Miranda etc..

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ Do you prefer this or the Smoke Cube you reviewed as well (I returned the Smoke Cube back as reliability proved to be an issue for me)?

Also, how many puffs can it produce before having to refill it?

thx
Julio_Montoro
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Julio_Montoro
HERE is another complete review comparing smoke cube to all other smoke devices:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApL0423l3Yg
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Just received. My issue, anyone can respond. Going to need a dedicated pocket because of the exposed heating coil. How many people have a dedicated pocket left ?
carp4865
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of carp4865
This is not a reply but an issue I am having. Purchased from Penguin, read the instructions, watched the video
and then decided to charge it up, put some liquid in it and turn it on. It was a little noisy as the instructions said
but quickly quieted down to silence. My problem is it seems to leak or spit fluid or something when turned on. I end
up with liquid under the wicks and on the top edge near the wicks. Can't use that way and have contacted Penguin.
Anybody else had anything like this? Thank you, Mike
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I think that is from over filling. There is a sweet spot there the smoke is pretty good but no xcess liquid on the device
carp4865
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of carp4865
Hi Xcath1, I hope you are right. I have simply turned it on and used to see what happens and I get the fluid leak
each time. I would have thought that the leakage would stop by now as it smokes as it is supposed to, quietly and with decent smoke production.
I will see what Penguin says today and go from there. Again thank you for your reply, Mike.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2018, carp4865 wrote:
Hi Xcath1, I hope you are right. I have simply turned it on and used to see what happens and I get the fluid leak
each time. I would have thought that the leakage would stop by now as it smokes as it is supposed to, quietly and with decent smoke production.
I will see what Penguin says today and go from there. Again thank you for your reply, Mike.

Did you ever get a reply from Penguin? I sent them an email today about this very issue.

The device is not making any noise, and producing smoke nicely, but anytime I use it, there is liquid on the device afterwards.

I don't think adding a picture is exposure since they show the device in the trailer.

Click here to view attached image.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
That looks like a lot of liquid with possible overfilling but I also find there is some fluid on the device, not as much as you show but not bone dry either
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Some other questions:

When charging, when the blue light starts blinking, does that mean it's fully charged?

Why does it say it needs to be monitored while charging? Is there a chance of fire, explosion, or something else?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MAGICSMITH presents:Steelfyre's Smoke Screen (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL