The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How do you sell physical DVDs of the show that night? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Conner
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Conner
Hi all,

For those of you who sell physical discs of the show for BOR the same night as the show, how do you burn all of the discs in time?

I'm familiar with the process of mailing the DVDs to customers once they're burned, but surely some of you more tech-savvy workers will have figured out a way to sell the physical discs right there.

Thank you for any tips.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Try USB drives.

OR if you want to be really clever send them a link they can download.

This way you can put titles on it and edit it nicely. If it has to be done instantly you can use the camera output directly into your computer. Have a template with the titles on it.

Why do you need to do it that night?

Also DVD tech is starting to go the way of the T-Rex.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Conner
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Conner
Digital downloads are definitely on my radar and I want to become more proficient with downloads (especially for audio downloads). And USBs are an option, I'm just not fond of giving them a crude file (which can be distributed freely) without any of the flair of a DVD case and disc label--all of which can include attractive promo information.

Right now I'm just trying to optimize the status quo. It's my experience that customers like having a physical product they can hold once they've parted with their money. One of the most popular things to sell is the video of the show. So the more I am able to reward customers with a physical copy on the night, the better they can feel about buying it.

DVDs are sufficiently ubiquitous enough to be purchased regularly by attendees. But no doubt, once DVDs are gone I'll change with the times.

I'm sure there are ways to burn multiple copies on the night, just not familiar with the process.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1625 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Multiple copies at the same time would require multiple burners. That can be done, but you'll probably have to design the computer yourself. Many motherboards don't have nearly the amount of expansion slots they used to. Of course, you could get USB DVD burners and daisy chain it, but I feel like that's just asking for technical troubles.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Couple of thoughts.

People are not buying the thing because it if you, or because it looks pretty. They are buying it because uncle Fred is in the site.

DVD'S are on the way out very quickly. All that stuff you want in their hands costs you money. Odds are the DVD itself will be tossed after a copy is made.

Burners wear out.

I have NEVER had people say oh I'd have bought one of I got a physical copy of it instead of a download.

I don't think the case is as important as the final product. Without titles and without proper editing it will look cheap to those watching. The only ones seeing the cover is those who buy it so there is s trade off.

Carrying all the stuff needed to burn multiple copies is very tough. It is a lot of work to be a couple formats behind the times. May as well give them a VHS copy.

Also it is far less of an investment to send links in email than to burn DVD on site.

Many under 30 may not have a DVD drive in the computer or anywhere.

Just random thoughts. Not telling you to do it or not. But I do about 200 shows a year or so. Even selling them is tougher that it used to be with the advent of cell phone tech.

They will probably make a better copy than you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
I have 2 live to DVD recorders that finalize during the end of my show (takes about 3 minutes to finalize). Then I have a dvd duplicator that can make 3 DVDS in just under 5min.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Eventually I will have to move to USB as well, but for now, the majority of my crowd wants DVDS
Conner
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Conner
Sounds like you've got hands-on experience with this, Kevin. Thanks for sharing. Eight minutes total for three DVDs and five minutes for every three DVDs thereafter sounds like a promising start. What kind of equipment do you use?
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Conner,

I'm not near my theater do I cant give you specific brands but basically:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMR-EZ......r1pZxU-o

and

https://www.amazon.com/Produplicator-Dup......r+1+to+3

like I said, I'm not at the theater so I doubt those are the exact ones I use but that gives you the idea.

You should join us for the No BS Hypnosis Convention in Vegas Fab 9-11. We'll be talking about marketing and back of the room sales a lot!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Kevin, so you go directly out of a digital camera into this DVR? You use two just to have 2 copies? Can one full show fit on one blank DVD without editing? Do you do any editing or add intros or outros?

Here's the duplicator I use: http://www.ezdupe.com/Product.php?str=St......RK9TDVDB
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Mindpro,

I go from the camera into the DVR. Full show. DVDs can hold 2hrs I max out at 90min. No editing, its the live show.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Mindpro,

I go from the camera into the DVR. Full show. DVDs can hold 2hrs I max out at 90min. No editing, its the live show.

*** I go from the camera to the dvr, dvr to dvr, dvr to monitor so I can see it recording and make sure there is no errors
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you add titles ?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Nope.

The name of the show is on the case and the DVD
Conner
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Conner
Thank you all for the links. That 9 DVD duplicator looks very nice.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
The 9 is nice. I sell 3-5 DVDs a night so the 1master - 3duplicates is great for me. Also, it's a lot less bulky for me if I have to do a corporate gig or comedy club.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How do you sell physical DVDs of the show that night? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL