The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The ideal world of mentalism (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
What would it look like to you?

from both an external, public performance perspective, as well as the behind the curtain internal side...
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
External:
Popular enough to not have to explain what a mentalist is, respected as a theatrical performing art, clearly separate from magic.

Internal:
Secrets and methods not widely available, only to those who are willing to work for them and respect them.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
How would you achieve the internal do you reckon?
I've asked to be banned
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
357 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
External:

I think we all live it it already. It's ideal enough that myth, pop culture, and the arts have made the notion of Mentalism possible in the average persons mind. They are already prepared with ideas of what it is, or may be. It's really up to us how we wish to present them.

Internal:

I find that most of the best material is hidden in plain sight. With less people willing to read, I would plainly put methods in books. Hopefully avoiding the Ala Carte approach that is so prevalent now.
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2017, IAIN wrote:
How would you achieve the internal do you reckon?

Good question I suppose. But aren't ideals by definitely un-achievable?

Of course I imagine a situation where I am one of the lucky few who have a knowledgable mentor to learn the secrets from. Which is the opposite of reality, and if I'm being honest, I am absolutely glad that I do have access to all that I do. I just don't like that the lay people can find secrets so easily...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Raum
World where I am young Erik Jan Hanussen.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Raum wrote:

Hmm, I'm concerned that that might not end well... Smile
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I think mentalism should be rarely experienced by anyone. And when they do experience it, it would be done by an extremely talented performer who makes the whole experience feel special and rare. For me, personally, (and I know I’m in the minority on this one) I’d also like to see mentalists make an effort to leave their audiences in an intellectually stronger position than they started. I’d rather have my audience be skeptical than gullible. I think it is possible to achieve this without diminishing their appreciation for mystery, and that the mentalism can still “feel” real, in an emotional, visceral way.
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Raum
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, Raum wrote:

Hmm, I'm concerned that that might not end well... Smile

Yeah, but on other side he lived a rich and famous live.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I think personally I'd opt for a long life with reasonable comfort than a short one with opulence, but that's I'm sure debatable.

But hey - this is about ideals! So your ideal could be the first part without the second....
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
Iain, this is a great question. Just what would be "ideal" to my mind's eye?

I sometimes wish that people as a whole were more willing to accept magic. Willing to experience wonder without thinking everything is some sort of a subterfuge. Then again, when I see people and groups who are bogged down in superstition I doubt that wish. In past times some of us might have had an interview with Torqumada for practicing witchcraft. Probably not as funny as Mel Brooks made it look.

I also share the mixed feeling about accessibility of information with Last Laugh. I wish that people wouldn't Google up the methods as they are performed. But I am also glad I am able to find what I have found.

I'm not even close to sure what would be ideal. Great discussion. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The ideal world of mentalism (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL