The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Another avatar question heh » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jakanden
View Profile
New user
Jax, Florida (USA)
17 Posts

Profile of Jakanden
I found that when i uploaded my avatar to my private FTP space and try to put in the web addy to it, it will not display the avatar.
If i set my prefs to look on the local drive it will display it.

Browsing the boards I see people keep saying that they sent thier avatar in to be uploaded on your guys end heh. Is this the only way to do it? Or can I link it to a private FTP?

Thanks much in advance Smile
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice"

-Dunninger-
Jakanden@stormspire.com
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Step 1- Make sure your Avatar fits within the parameters specified for size, dimensions and format.
Step 2- Choose Edit Profile from the menu and browse to your file on the local drive. Your file will be uploaded when you accept your preferences. If your avatar changes to a small icon with an X, The Cafe Tech team will probably need to check permissions in your user area. If it remains as the default, you may need to try one more time.

I suggest placing your Avatar on your desktop and browsing to there. After you have it working successfully, the file on your desktop may be stored elsewhere or deleted.

Hope this helps
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
The scripts are written to append the Magic Cafe's base URL and your user number to your avatar picture. The only way you should be able to get an avatar to work is by uploading it through the "Edit Profile" form. I can't even begin to explain how you got one to work that is still on your local drive - it shouldn't have worked like that at all. Linking to your picture from your private FTP space won't work either.

Sending your avatar to me so I can install it is decidedly not the only way to do it! I set up an upload area primarily for folks who don't have a program they can use (or know how to use) to shrink their photo to the specified size for an avatar. If you are having trouble with this, you can complete This Form and upload your avatar, and I'll install it manually for you in the database.

Smile Mary B.
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Mary,
Okay, I give up. How come I see these little characters at times and when I post other times I don't see any. I think you guys refer to them as smilies. Thanks.
Vinny D. Smile
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Hi Vincent,

Are you saying the "smilies" appear under the text box (where you type your post) sometimes but don't appear there at other times?

Mary
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Hi Mary,

Yes, it seems that way. Perhaps I should check this out again.
Thanks
Vincent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Another avatar question heh » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL