The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Keeping lid on coin bx (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Signet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Signet
This may seem like an odd question. I have a Boston box and like to carry it around in my pocket for impromptu tricks. I keep the coins in it and the lid on. The problem is it opens up in my pocket and the lid and coins go all over. When I pull it out for a trick, it's very distracting. I solved this by putting a rubber band around it, which did the job, but looks tacky. I had to wrap it around several times. So I tried to get a small diameter band that was also wide enough. The coins have some weight to them and you need the width for strength. I could not find the right size band. I ended up using a larger one and tying a knot in it, then cutting off the extra. Any one have a similar experience?
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1251 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Would a rubber Gasket ring work. Or a leather strip with a press stud.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3153 Posts

Profile of Julie
Maybe cut down a card box to hold the Okito/Boston Box. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove the coin box from the open top card box inside your pocket. I imagine the cut-down open top card box to be only about 1 1/2 inches tall.

Julie
Signet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Signet
Thanks for the replies. They are good ideas. The cut rubber band seems to be working for now. My wife suggested using the small bands they sometimes out n broccoli. So I guess I'll have to get some broccoli.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
860 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Carry the box in a coin purse. Bringing the purse out of your pocket and then the box out of the purse would make a nice set-up for the magic.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4690 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The coin purse is a good idea. You can also try a small drawstring felt bag.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13171 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Maybe you don't care but ... this isn't sounding very "impromptu" to me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of KeithP
The method I use is simple. I have a strip of scrap cotton cloth about 1/2" x 4". I lay the cloth on top of the base, push the coins into the box, and push the lid onto the box. The box gently jams into a solid unit. The coins don't rattle, and the lid stays on.

Keith
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, KeithP wrote:
The method I use is simple. I have a strip of scrap cotton cloth about 1/2" x 4". I lay the cloth on top of the base, push the coins into the box, and push the lid onto the box. The box gently jams into a solid unit. The coins don't rattle, and the lid stays on. Keith

Good idea. What do you do with the cloth during your performance?
"I think it's clear that if we move people emotionally and have them experience our show on a visceral level they will have been entertained." Me

"When I was young I thought I was clever and could change the world. But now I am wise and instead changed MYSELF." Sudo Nimh
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of KeithP
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, KeithP wrote:
The method I use is simple. I have a strip of scrap cotton cloth about 1/2" x 4". I lay the cloth on top of the base, push the coins into the box, and push the lid onto the box. The box gently jams into a solid unit. The coins don't rattle, and the lid stays on. Keith

Good idea. What do you do with the cloth during your performance?

Normally as I approach the performance, I pull on one end of the cloth while holding the box in hand. The jam comes apart, the cloth slips through, and I put the cloth and loaded box in my pocket. At the end of the routine, I let the audience watch me lay the cloth in the box, push the coins in, lid the box, and put it in my pocket.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I thought you might use the cloth to clean and or polish the box. Thanks for answering Smile
"I think it's clear that if we move people emotionally and have them experience our show on a visceral level they will have been entertained." Me

"When I was young I thought I was clever and could change the world. But now I am wise and instead changed MYSELF." Sudo Nimh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Keeping lid on coin bx (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL