The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Masters of Illusion (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I searched but can't find that this show has been discussed before. I really dislike it -- rapid fire, trick-trick-trick. I think some of the audience are paid actors.

I'm happy that so many of our friends are getting some exposure, but I don't think it does much for magic otherwise.

Just awful. Opinions?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, it's a venue that gives a lot of magicians work, so it's good from that angle. But I agree--I don't enjoy the presentations at all. It makes everything very generic and interchangeable, and for me basically unwatchable. I suppose there are reasons for doing it the way it is. I guess there's the fear that the channel will be changed if there isn't a new act every 2 minutes. But I think that's a mistake.

I'm reminded as a theater director that when it seems like things are going too slowly, sometimes the thing to do is paradoxically slow down rather than go faster. Adding context and meaning--which takes time--speeds up understanding and increases attention.

For me, the magicians' spots on Penn & Teller are the model of how to present a magic segment on television.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I criticize it, but I like it. I don't take it too seriously, but think of it as television tapas: a little of this, a little of that, not too much of anything, and pretty soon you're pleasantly full.

Part of why I like it is because, even though they haven't been smart enough to book me on it (yet) Smile there is never an episode where I don't have at least one friend on the show. So every time I tune in there is someone I like. Last night I turned it on and saw Jeff McBride, Chipper Lowell, Bill Cook and Adam Wylie, all of whom I know. What's not to like about that?

If I were to criticize anything, it would be the cuts and edits, which I don't think are the best for magicians. But Gay Blackstone has put together a successful show.

That said, I agree that Fool Us is a much better show.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To me as a watcher of television I do not like it and have watched twice. It removes most charector from the acts my view.

Just an opinion and not a criticism.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I agree that "Fool Us" is a better presentation of magic for the public. It takes time to look at magic as artful. Penn always finds something positive to say, so that there's a sense of appreciation for the performer's efforts even when the effect is pretty weak.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Never watch the television.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I agree with Dana, just glad to have any magic on TV. Speaking of Jeff McBride, he was on both MOI and Fool Us! Love Penn and Teller's show much more with a better mix of close up and stage! Some day (just a dream), I'd like to see a show just featuring amateur street magicians! Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why?

Fair question (re amateur street magicians)! It's similar to attending an open mic of music or comedy. I first saw Robin Williams at an open mic at the Holy City Zoo in San Francisco! You just never know what you may find! Of course, a live open mic is not the same as a TV show. But I'll take a TV show, yeah! Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Have you been to open mic nights? Do you have any idea the amount of stuff you would have to sit through to get that 5 minutes?

Sorry that sounds like even more of a disaster when you explain it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Have you been to open mic nights? Do you have any idea the amount of stuff you would have to sit through to get that 5 minutes?

Sorry that sounds like even more of a disaster when you explain it.

LOL, I've played and listened in open mics (music) since 1968!! Disaster for you, but not me! Much has been learned in trading ideas (lately in jazz settings). btw, the Robin Williams' opewn mic set I saw was a bit longer than 5 minutes. He did an impersonation of the entire Godzilla movie, including the scientist, his girlfriend, Raymond Burr and Godzilla (long before John Belushi got the idea). Since the Japanese movie was dubbed in English, he even mimiced the way foreign language dubs don't match the English words. It was unbelievably funny, even when a drunk tried to heckle him! Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well there is a reason that open mic nights are featured on slow nights and that they have not sprung to prominence as a thing. Maybe their popularity in your view is not shared by the rest of the world?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I'm pretty sure any amateur open mic thing like that would just be a lower budget version of the "Most Ridiculous Auditions" from any of the "Whatever's Got Talent" shows.

In other words, not flattering to the magic world at all.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Maybe we could televise open mic nights. That's the ticket. A reality show version of lame acts by uninteresting people. Something new!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I recently attended an open mic jazz jam at the Octopus Literary Salon in Oakland. The musicians were all top notch, except maybe for myself. None were recording stars (hey none of us were rappers!). None were really popular. All were pretty familiar with jazz standards (or you just couldn't get on the bandstand), but had original things to contribute. This is not a reality show (what's real about these shows anyway?). There were no judges. It wasn't a gong show, America's Got Talent or the Voice, where money gets thrown at what agents believe will bring in more money, bottom line. But I would love to see something like these jazz jams on TV when I can't make it... but I know it won't happen because there's no money in it. I must add finally that all open mics are not the same! Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not by a long shot. I have also noticed that those who participate enjoy them more than audiences in general.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I was always told that early in your career... you need a place to be bad. Basically a place to learn in front of a receptive audience with low expectations. Most open mike nights (at least in major cities) are considered workshops for comics. A finished set you see most pro comics do on stage is honed from hundreds of trials in an open mike setting where there are lowered expectations. Guys will go from one open mike night to another (many times on the same night) to hone and perfect their act. Jay Leno constantly showed up (usually unannounced) at the Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa beach to workshop material. It's the same with the Comedy Store on Sunset on weeknights. You would frequently find famous comedians working on unperfected material and seeing what worked. Televising it would defeat the main goal of why comics did it.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Masters of Illusion (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL