The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IMPRESSION by Ben Williams (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I have known Ben for awhile now, and he sent me his latest offering to the magic community, called Impression.

Here is the demo video:

https://www.magicshop.co.uk/impression-b......download

It is quite cheap at $11.99 GBP, so close to $20 USD.

This is a piece that you can perform in close-up situations, or on the spot impromptu really.

All you need is a piece of paper, or business card, pen, and your smart phone.

There is some pre-show done, but not the type of pre-show that you are all used to seeing, this is a different type of pre-show in which you gain the impression of the thought of name, object, country, zodiac, etc, etc, right under their noses, and nobody will notice a thing.

This is a very casual natures effect, and everything is above par.

Not sure if this has been done before in the past.....it did make me think of a similar use, not in the way Ben uses it, but something similar to something Michael Murray put out using ACAAN, as well as something in the same field that Luke Jermay put out, as well, as something that I once saw John Born do live.

Again, all three guys above have used something along the same lines, but not similar to the way Ben uses it here for Impression.

Easy execution, allows you to focus on your presentation.

Really not much more to say, quite clever, and cheeky method, and something you will always have on you.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Is there any reason other than the obvious that the video starts AFTER the spectator has already written down his thoughts and placed the paper away.To me kind of an important part of the routine that is entirely omitted? Is it just me?
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
The details are left out if they were included the secret would be exposed.

this isn't preshow in the traditional way the way it is used here

http://www.originalmagic.co.uk/store/p17......pression
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Thanks BMWGuy, I really appreciate you taking the time to write something here.

Hi Scott, the performance in the video is an example of a video YOU can get very easily using this technique I am teaching. This was the point of the video, to show you the kind of mind reading video YOU can get for your website or social media promos, it wasn't filmed with this demo in mind, it is just what happened that time I performed it so I included it on the demo, I hope that makes sense. You do not need to film the video for the effect to work, it is just that it fits so nicely with the method why not mention it to potential buyers?

If you perform the technique taught in iMPRESSION and decide to film a video (which, as mentioned you do not NEED to do to) the spectator will swear to the following things on the video:

You had no input as to what they wrote or drew, they didn't choose it from a list or anything similar
It hasn't been shown to anyone
It has been in their pocket the whole time and that there is no way you could know what it is.

The spectators will swear to this as it is 99% true, of course there is a method, but it is simple and easy and I speak about how to make your spectator's forget even this 1% occurred.

It is, at it's core, a way to get a peek of some information in an extremely clean way. I have some additional footage to upload to the original download which I will let everyone who has bought this already know, it deals a couple of cool additional thoughts that are worth putting in.

Here are some comments from others who have seen iMPRESSION

That’s cheeky as !@#$. You’re brain is ridiculous! I love it! - Dee Christopher

There is nothing better than the ordinary enabling the extraordinary. Ben has taken something so normal and innocent and turned it into a wonderful tool. This is only the beginning - Marc Spelmann

Lol Ben, you cheeky s**t! Love it mate....! - Rus Andrews

Very simple, direct mind reading with something everyone owns but never thinks to use in this application. I will be using this, I love stuff like this! ​- Matt Johnson

You sneaky bas***d! Love the idea, I can’t wait to perform this! - Duane Williams

Thanks again everyone, oh and just out of curiosity what is the obvious Scott? I am unsure by what you mean by this, by all means PM me if you like, I am always happy to help. Also if anyone else does have a question they wish to ask me in private about this you can reach me here by PM (I will try to check here more regularly) or you can email me at ben@unbelievablemagic.com

Thanks,

Ben

http://www.originalmagic.co.uk/store/p17......oad.html
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Nechto wrote:

There is nothing better than the ordinary enabling the extraordinary. Ben has taken something so normal and innocent and turned it into a wonderful tool. This is only the beginning - Marc Spelmann

Very simple, direct mind reading with something everyone owns but never thinks to use in this application. I will be using this, I love stuff like this! - Matt Johnson

You sneaky bas***d! Love the idea, I can’t wait to perform this! - Duane Williams

Thanks again everyone, oh and just out of curiosity what is the obvious Scott? I am unsure by what you mean by this, by all means PM me if you like, I am always happy to help. Also if anyone else does have a question they wish to ask me in private about this you can reach me here by PM (I will try to check here more regularly) or you can email me at ben@unbelievablemagic.com

Thanks,

Ben

I think Scott's obvious is "showing that part will reveal how it is done" - but I could be wrong.

A lot of the people who you showed it to swore at you afterwards didn't they! Smile
tombennett
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of tombennett
Ben shared this with me about six months ago and I loved it! its very bold and then he managed to fool me with it only a week ago

its actually me in the trailer he is performing it on, it wasn't till about ten minutes after I realised he had fooled me with something that I perform and I just found it hilarious and seeing it in action just makes made me want to use it more! I would personally say I wouldn't use this at a gig, only because I always keep my mobile phone away in my case! but at a bar or just out with friends this is unbelievable, its also a great way to practice revealing information rather than worrying about the method because its completely self working! the performance possibility's are endless!

all the best guys

tom
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2017, Nechto wrote:
Thanks BMWGuy, I really appreciate you taking the time to write something here.

Hi Scott, the performance in the video is an example of a video YOU can get very easily using this technique I am teaching. This was the point of the video, to show you the kind of mind reading video YOU can get for your website or social media promos, it wasn't filmed with this demo in mind, it is just what happened that time I performed it so I included it on the demo, I hope that makes sense. You do not need to film the video for the effect to work, it is just that it fits so nicely with the method why not mention it to potential buyers?

If you perform the technique taught in iMPRESSION and decide to film a video (which, as mentioned you do not NEED to do to) the spectator will swear to the following things on the video:

You had no input as to what they wrote or drew, they didn't choose it from a list or anything similar
It hasn't been shown to anyone
It has been in their pocket the whole time and that there is no way you could know what it is.

The spectators will swear to this as it is 99% true, of course there is a method, but it is simple and easy and I speak about how to make your spectator's forget even this 1% occurred.

It is, at it's core, a way to get a peek of some information in an extremely clean way. I have some additional footage to upload to the original download which I will let everyone who has bought this already know, it deals a couple of cool additional thoughts that are worth putting in.

Very simple, direct mind reading with something everyone owns but never thinks to use in this application. I will be using this, I love stuff like this! ​- Matt Johnson

Thanks,

Ben

Yes as mentioned above my reference to "obvious" was not linked to the method but rather suggesting that if video had started earlier then the method would/could be revealed. I think this is confirmed by a few posts here. I just wanted confirmation that my suspicion was correct. Not a negative comment. I understand your position it just may be difficult to convince potential customers its good based on the video is all. Point being ,almost every "revealed thought" that was written down ends the exact same way yours does. So there is not much the video tells us. Having said that I get the "impression" you have some thing here and a nice twist on this plot. Wish you well.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hey everyone,

Thank you for your interest and comments. I understand what you mean now Scott! Thank you for your kind words.

I may try and get a video of me performing the whole effect as honestly I don't think it is obvious what is going on at all, to be fair though I have tried being as transparent as I can be with the ad copy so maybe with an external video filming it all and the ad copy some people may put two and two together and get four!

I want to be as fair as possible for you all though.

Also I worked in a magic shop for over 10 years (I only left a day before Christmas last year) and I know of very few methods in mentalism that allow a spectator to have the freedom that this method allows and it be 100% (i.e. no psy forcing or forcing of any kind). When using billets you must t**e or s****h them, or they must be placed in your own wallet, business card holder or similar. When using an i********n p*d you have open it up again, do the work and the heat is usually HOT!

FULL DISCLOSURE

With Impression you honestly have anyone write or draw ANYTHING, you then ask for it back by gesturing and hold it for literally a couple of seconds, all with your head turned away. You then immediately have them take the piece of paper and place it in their pocket almost as an afterthought to make it more fair, that is all you need. You never touch it again, you never s****h it, divert their attention or have an accomplice. I teach how to make people honestly swear that they have written something and then placed it straight in their pocket by the end of the routine, because at the end of the day, they pretty much did! This routine has all the benefits of a p**k and an i********n p*d combined, no half p**ks, no limited time to learn the info, you can take your time with this method, it gives you freedom to perform something else in-between and come back to this at the end of your performance. Also, unlike the i********n p*d the piece they write on is isolated, never leant on anything and never in your control when they write or draw something, (i.e. you are not holding them as they write) there is no connection between the piece of paper and the method. With an i********n p*d spectator's can't wait to jump at the idea you have read some sort of pen marks or pencil marks left in the pad, you have none of that with Impression. Yet even with all of this you get a 100% full peek of whatever they have done, not a quick half peek, no connection, i.e., you don't need to open a wallet or pad again after they have written or drawn something. It really is that clean. I do not know of many mind reading methods that are this clean.

This method has its benefits and is perfect for many situations, I honestly feel like this is something I will always have on me and be able to do in most circumstances, do I still use other methods, yes, but I would rather have a tool box full of tools to use the right tool at the right time, rather than have one tool for a job that isn't best suited to what you have to do, as this usually ends up in the job not being done properly. Impression allows me to confidently have a great piece of insanely clean mind reading at my disposal without taking out any extra props or gimmicks.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again everyone,

Ben
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
After having a chance to play around with this for a while, I have to say I really like this.
The extra details and ideas Ben goes through, building upon the already solid method really make this something special, at least for me.

I just thought I'd highlight the 2 key things I really like about this.

1) It genuinely turns something MOST people already own and carry with them on a daily basis into an impromptu, reliable impression device.
I own many of them so I'm familiar with most of their inherent strengths and weaknesses.
is 'Impression' the best? p*r*p*d is difficult to top IMO so I'm not going to say it is.
However, it may be the best impromptu method I've come across.

This is one of those 'tools' for the 'toolkit' ideas.
I'm so glad to know this and have it always ready to go in those on-the-fly moments.

Let's be honest, will you use this method at a gig? probably not! But that's not what it's aimed for.
If you're prepared enough to do a gig, then you'll be using something like the p*r*p*d, but for those casual, unprepared moments where your 'mind reading' ability has been put to the test by a random person you've been talking to..and therefore probalby won't have such a thing as p*r*p*d on you... this is where 'impression' shines.

2) Unlike most affordable impression devices, this method actually has the benefits of the expensive ones or, for those who own this will know what I mean, St**m or Ghost Pad in that the impression device has nothing to do with the thing/place they actually write on.
Most pads, including my favourite, the p*r*p*d, are used by the spectator as they write so are clearly in some way relevant to the thing they wrote/drew.

Does it matter? of course not! Is that over thinking? of course!
BUT, one of 'Impressions' strengths is that it has that really nice aspect that is shared mainly by the more expensive devices, where your information comes from a completely isolated seperate location to the original source, therefore the possibility of an impression doesn't even exist in a spectator's mind.
Unlike St**m or Ghost Pad, the two affordable ones I know that have the same strength, no other device/object ever even touches their business card which makes this even nicer!.

Impression wise, I think I may like this more than p*r*p*d (and I love that thing!) simply because this is so devious!, but it's a method that has it's time and place...but then again, the same can be said with p*r*p*d.

I will say that a key part to this is the justification for using the device IN your performance. (it's self working for pre-show)
There's some really nice ideas put forth by Ben, including my favourite where you text them a prediction of the very thing they drew.

'Impression', like most impression devices, will require thought put into the routining and the justification that suits the individual performer but the actual method of creating the impression is so reliable and devious that it's hard to not grin like the devil at the thought of using it.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
Michael Murray released his version of ACAAN in 2016 entitled 'Recreation', in which he credits me for coming up with the idea of using the iPhone's video setting for getting the peek and subsequent information needed.

Ben credits Michael in 'Impression', along with others. However, no credit for me. Would have been nice, it seems only the big well known names get credited.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hi ManchurianMan83,

Thank you very much for your detailed review! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that! I am glad you like the thinking and see the benefits of this technique, it really is another great tool to have on your tool belt. Thanks again.

Hi Rasp,

I am very sorry, I have no idea about your work, this is not an idea I came up with after seeing anyone else's work, I came up with this over three years ago and first released it on PDF download back in 2014. The PDF sold okay but wasn't widely received as only I and one other shop in the UK sold it, I have had no crediting on any of the subsequent effects that are similar either. What is the name of your effect Rasp? I'd like to check it out...

Thanks again,

Ben

Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Ben was kind enough to share this with me. Here are some brief thoughts. As a fan of BOLD magic and methods I love the idea behind this. It leads your imagination to run wild with various uses and techniques to justify the phones involvement. On that note. Ben I have an idea that was not covered in the download that I can share with you on PM that I think is a good justification for handling the phone.
As mentioned in the download by Ben himself this is not going to replace ALL other peek methods but I will say in a casual setting presented properly I can see this fooling magicians on the off beat if presented in a casual way. I tried it on a group of laymen this weekend and no one had a clue.
I think spending the small amount for the "phone accessory" is well worth the investment and makes this even cleaner.
Its interesting that 2 years ago I had an idea that was the exact opposite use of the phone than what Ben is doing here. Small world not the same effect at all but incorporates the same Bold use of the phone. but the REVERSE of how Ben is using it.
The above review checks the same boxes that I would so I will not repeats his thoughts.Will say its a great devious tool and is great for truly "I have nothing on me but can show you this" situations.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Thank you Scott!

I am really glad that you tried it out as well, it feels great when you do it, its very satisfying isn't it! Smile

I'm also glad to say this is up at Penguin Magic also now:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9075

If anyone decides to buy a quick review would always be appreciated! Smile

Thanks again,

Ben
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
With some effects, you think "why didn't I think of that"; with others, you think "surely everyone has already thought of that" and wonder why anyone would think it worth releasing as a stand-alone effect.

I would say 'Impression' falls into the latter category.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your thoughts, I am sorry you didn’t feel there was value with impression. As well as method I always try and teach more with my effects, I try to give presentational ideas or extra thoughts to help people find their own feet performing my material. I don’t want to just put out brain farts, I only put out things I have worked and believe in myself. When I came up with the idea originally back in early 2014 I can honestly say no one I showed it to had thought of the idea before and many people slapped their heads and said, ‘why didn’t I think of that?’. Also with sending this out to numerous people recently that are much better known than I, all have given me positive feedback and a couple of people mentioned people of the caliber of Luke Jermay and Michael Murray using similar concepts. I have now added even more extra thoughts to the download, which I was going to mention next...

If anyone has bought iMPRESSION and hasn’t got the version with the extra extra section pm me here and I will give you a link to download it. If you bought from Penguin and there are still two videos available to download, then download the second larger download, they are identical apart from one has the extra extra section and one doesn’t, (I have emailed to get this sorted so hopefully it is now)

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts, (even you Martin!)

Best,

Ben
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks Ben. I think it's a good idea - I've used it for quite a few years, but I think it would be better kept as part of a larger release of your material. Sincere thanks for your reply, though. I'll check to see if I have the "extra, extra" section.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Thanks Martin, I appreciate that Smile

I'd just like to also mention that Merchant of Magic also have the updated version with the extra extra section, just in case anyone was worried. It is readily available!

https://www.magicshop.co.uk/impression-b......download

Thanks again,

Ben
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Why in the description that I read at Penguin state that it is NOT a walkaround effect?
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:
Why in the description that I read at Penguin state that it is NOT a walkaround effect?

You really need a table or equally convenient surface to perform this ideally.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I do have mention of an idea for walk around, but that is in the extra extra section, it is something I am playing with at the moment, if I crack it and am happy with what I come up with I will make it available to everyone who bought. However, I didn't want to advertise this without mentioning that it isn't taught as a walk around piece as I know a lot of performers who do corporate walk around mentalism and I didn't want anyone to buy it with the intention of using it for that environment.

Thanks again,

Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IMPRESSION by Ben Williams (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL