The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Reveals from a single number (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

barneyS
View Profile
New user
Virginia
25 Posts

Profile of barneyS
Hi,
I enjoy doing arithmetically/geometrically based magic tricks for smart/knowledgeable kids (and their parents) at STEM events and Maker Faires. This is all volunteer.
The best arithmetic tricks I have involve having the spectator do some arithmetic, under guidance, then tell me a final number that they get. From this I am able to tell them the number that they originally thought of. I try to give an interesting presentation so that the trick isn't just "Think of a number, do some arithmetic, and now the number you thought of was ..." but related in some way to something else.
I've read a number of books (Martin Gardner's, William Simon's) and watched some Rick Lax videos on the net. So far, all of the methods in which the spectator reveals a single number lead to the reveal of one or two things. Examples would be a number that the mag wrote down early in the trick, the two values on a pair of dice, etc.
Can someone point me to a trick, along these lines, where a single number provided by the spectator will allow a reveal of THREE items? I invented one and have tried it on my friends where it has worked (and they are puzzled about how I did it) but my current presentation is a little boring. I hope to fix that over time.
If you know of a book, DVD or YouTube video that has a reveal of 3 items from one number I'd appreciate the pointer!
Barney
hcs
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
258 Posts

Profile of hcs
To reveal a person, a finger and its phalanx:

The persons (#P) are numbered from 1 to ...
The 10 fingers (#F) are numbered from 1 (little finger, left hand) to 10 (little finger, right hand)
The 3 phalanxes of a finger (#Ph) are numbered from 1 to 3

One selected person wears the ring on a selected finger on a selected phalanx.
You are able to reveal person, finger and phalanx, calculating:

1. #P x 2
2. + 5
3. x 5
4. + #F
5. x 10
6. + #Ph
7. = ?

Example:
person #P=4
right middle finger #f=8
second phalanx #Ph=2

1. 4 x 2 = 8
2. + 5 = 13
3. x 5 = 65
4. + 8 = 73
5. x 10 = 730
6. + 2 = 732

Subtract secretly 250
732 - 250 = 582 (#P/#F/#Ph)
Low Vision Marking System * Im Schattenreich der Spielkarten * Si Stebbins Pro * Gregorian Calendar Sheets for Years 1582 - 2399 * http://www.lybrary.com/dr-hanschristian-solka-m-4881.html?osCsid=20c4748547092ea41fb8ae02a2dcf0fd
hcs
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
258 Posts

Profile of hcs
A similar trick is the revealing of a birthday - month, day and year.
Low Vision Marking System * Im Schattenreich der Spielkarten * Si Stebbins Pro * Gregorian Calendar Sheets for Years 1582 - 2399 * http://www.lybrary.com/dr-hanschristian-solka-m-4881.html?osCsid=20c4748547092ea41fb8ae02a2dcf0fd
Paradise
View Profile
Veteran user
sheffieldEngland
391 Posts

Profile of Paradise
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2017, hcs wrote:
To reveal a person, a finger and its phalanx:

The persons (#P) are numbered from 1 to ...
The 10 fingers (#F) are numbered from 1 (little finger, left hand) to 10 (little finger, right hand)
The 3 phalanxes of a finger (#Ph) are numbered from 1 to 3

One selected person wears the ring on a selected finger on a selected phalanx.
You are able to reveal person, finger and phalanx, calculating:

1. #P x 2
2. + 5
3. x 5
4. + #F
5. x 10
6. + #Ph
7. = ?

Example:
person #P=4
right middle finger #f=8
second phalanx #Ph=2

1. 4 x 2 = 8
2. + 5 = 13
3. x 5 = 65
4. + 8 = 73
5. x 10 = 730
6. + 2 = 732

Subtract secretly 250
732 - 250 = 582 (#P/#F/#Ph)

Smile
barneyS
View Profile
New user
Virginia
25 Posts

Profile of barneyS
Thanks hcs, I appreciate the thought! You multiply by 10 twice and then add the 3rd number so that each occupies one place in the number (after a necessary subtraction).
My version has only one hidden multiplication by 10 (5, then 2) and I multiply after the final addition, just to obscure the problem as much as possible. There is no subtraction.
My plan was to give a short talk on my method at next April's Gathering 4 Gardner in Atlanta, though I don't know if they would want to make program space for such a simple thing.
And, finally, Paradise: I didn't see any post under your name besides the quote of the hcs method. Do you want to repost?
hcs
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
258 Posts

Profile of hcs
Thank you very much for your kind words!
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
3673 Posts

Profile of Sixten
(A tiny correction)

Subtract secretly 250:
732-250=482 (#P/#F/#PH)

& Thank You, hcs! Smile
hcs
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
258 Posts

Profile of hcs
Sixten, thank you very much for your carefully reading!
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
3673 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Reveals from a single number (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL