The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Holy Grail of Newspaper Tears (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Anybody here who has this? Any reviews?

I don't know if this can be done without a coat/jacket. And it's $139.95!

Thanks.

https://whiterabbit-magic.com/products/h......er-tears
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Did a Google search, and did not find any review, not many if more then 2 even carry this effect.

Just from my experience the ad says, if you don't hand it out, setup time is 30 seconds, and if you do hand it out, it is 2 minutes. So just from that statement, I would say, no coat if you intend to hand it out, and a coat is required if you do hand it out.

What kills this version is, it is only a single sheet of paper. That takes us back to the 1930's and 1940's, when only single sheet paper tears were the norm. What adds to the mystery is multiple sheets, for the more classic modern newspaper tears.

Karroll Fox's newspaper tear is/was only $10.00 for his single sheet tear years ago, and yes, it required a jacket, but you could hand it out.

Also, many magicians have spoken to me, that the pre-fold creases are a give a way. I never could see that they mean by that, but it is notable viewpoint. Next magician's will say, it is not signed before the tear. Purchasers today, have all kinds of weird requirements for magic, as they want to fooled, or be able to fool other magicians, instead of entertaining regular audiences.

This will be the most expensive version to date, as the last offering was only $100. Price has nothing to do with it being a good trick; just like calling it the Holy Grail, has nothing to do with this being superior to previous version. That was kind of the reason back in the 1970's, but today, it has no bearing on how good the trick it.

I was not that impressed with the demo video, as they played music over the patter. Capturing audience reactions would be a good way to also judge this effect, but not from this demo video.

In the hand out version, I am sure your are left "dirty" and unless you have a good reason to unload, then you have to do your whole act or show worrying about it.

The above comments are only my thoughts on this version of the classic Newspaper Tear, I don't own this, and from the ad, I would not invest that kind of money that would turn out to be "a pig in a poke".
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Anderson's newspaper tear is a classic piece of magic and would be hard to beat. On this one "no reviews" is sketchy - If I released this effect I would give the trick to someone for an honest review. But maybe that would be a bad thing. The video was also very choppy - I want to see the complete effect, beginning to end, without breaks or camera BS. Until I see further evidence that this is the Holy Grail, I'll stick with what I have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Holy Grail of Newspaper Tears (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL