The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Old trick or new? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Drawacard
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Drawacard
I can't remember where I got the idea for this trick from. I either read about the effect here or somewhere else or even saw it in a vid or on tv. Is it an old effect? (I am sure it is/must be) or did I make it up, lol.

I have bought a few decks of cards recently with some nice art works on them. The Anne Stokes deck, for example, is one of my favorites. There are several cards in there with pictures of people that bear a striking resemblance to people I know. I took some of these and gave them bicycle backs to hide them in a normal deck. I now have quite a few images that are pretty generic and it isn't uncommon to find someone with a resemblance if you are lucky.

The effect - I get the person who bears the resemblance to my chosen card to pick a card from the pack (making sure they take the one which is the same as the one that bears their resemblance). I put their card on the deck and use the pack as a camera to 'take their picture'. I show them their card on the deck and then 'develop' the picture into their likeness. (Erdnase, DL, or whatever). The card can be kept for someone else with a resemblance to them or given to them or whatever.

I've done this a few times now and I'm really enjoying it as an effect. I am sure it must have a name, like 'photographic deck' or something like that, but I can't find it now. I want to make more of these with pics of people even if I do not know anyone who looks like them... the more I get and keep together the more likelihood of finding one looking like someone who is in the area I am doing my magic. I have a friend who is an artist who is doing some caricatures for me and I might get them printed on an a deck. It is a fun project.

Does the trick have name? Is it a variation of an existing trick? Any tips for improvement?

Thanks.
Drawacard
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Drawacard
PS - I am still quite new here - I hope I haven't broken any rules regarding giving the trick away by mentioning Erdnaise or some of the secrets of the trick - please delete or tell me if this is the case and I can edit. Thanks.
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Smile Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magician - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Old trick or new? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL