The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Approaching patrons WITHOUT manager's knowledge/approval (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
Just go ask for the owner and talk to them. You're going to get turned down 20-40 times before someone says yes. That is the only way. Give them a free night. And be prepared to give up a Weekend night if you really want to. My first restaurant ever, I worked for free for 3 months to prove to them the model. It was very successful so another restaurant stole me and offered me $30/hour. So I took it. Since then, that has happened to me several more times and I make a decent living doing restaurants and private gigs. I would never do magic at a restaurant that has less than 3.5 stars out of 5 and isn't already successful on their own merit. You are not going to make them more successful, get that idea out of your head. If you're really good, yes, you'll get a few regulars. You're there mainly as something extra for the guests, don't try to sell them on "upping their star ratings" on line or anything you can't actually prove. They'll know you're lying. So be brave, go door knocking asking for owners and managers, well groomed and in a suit with quality business cards and 3 of your best tricks in hand. DO NOT approach the restaurants you really want to do first. It's better if you can have a bargaining chip and that you already work some where. They are more likely to bite.Good Luck!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Just my opinion, but it's never a good idea. You come across as a jerk, and if you don't realize that you look like a jerk, then that's another problem altogether.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2017, BCE wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2017, TheRealMagicMike wrote:

If you're talking about frequenting a place that you'd like to work and do a few tricks to the server or bartender and little by little become known, liked and respected as a customer and a magician which might lead to them hiring you, then that's worth talking about...

Yes, this is what I had in mind, as you describe it.

No, it isn’t, because your title didn’t mention performing for staff, it specifically said “Performing for PATRONS without management knowledge or permission.” Forgive me if I misquoted that.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Paul Diamond and Max Merlani could get away with it. Your mileage may differer
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
When I'm at a restaurant, the LAST thing I want is to be disturbed by anyone. Honestly, that includes the servers, but that's the nature of the beast.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Approaching patrons WITHOUT manager's knowledge/approval (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL