The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What do you think of this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Hi guys,

I haven't posted here for years, but I am still performing the occasional effect for friends or strangers. The casual private/bar/street kind of thing.
I have never performed the razor blades on a string effect, I believe it is Houdini's? What is the name of the effect, by the way?

Today I got curious though, and played around with it a little. I thought, what if one end of the thread could remain in view the whole time, sticking out my mouth, with the possibility of a spectator even holding on to it, sort of eliminating the possibility of a switch?

So this is what I recorded and I am most curious what you think of it. Is it magic, at all, or just a stunt, or just plain stupid? I could use a reality check here.
I showed it to a layperson (who knows some things) and she liked it.

Really curious what anyone thinks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQGPTSIYxI

Thank you so much!

Ben
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Nice! I do a razor blade swallowing act also but much different than this one, as I swallow 5 numbered blades and spit up the chosen one in a pool of blood. I always wear white so the blood shows up better when I perform. It might would allow the thread to be seen more clearly as well. Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Wayne's Single Needle has the spectator wrap the end of the thread around their finger, I believe.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Normally I hate the razor blade swallowing. It’s become an over performed routine performed with unconvincing drama.

Your performance however I absolutely love! You’ve nailed the emotional drama and uncertainy of this feat. Starting with that momentary hesitation as you build up your resolve to do this, then into a believable act of strungling to pull this off complete with why did I just do this look. Well done!

And yes, holding the thread is a great convincer.
Bob
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Thank very much for your kind words, guys.

I was worried that this might be too stripped down from the popular version, which could result in some exposure, with less distraction in place.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
The razor blade is a staple part of my act. This is very nicely done, excellent performance and not to "stripped down" at all!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2017, BenSimon wrote:

I was worried that this might be too stripped down from the popular version, which could result in some exposure, with less distraction in place.

This is a sincere bit of advice.

I was distracted by all of the facial expressions. Overacted to the max.

Drama for this kind of effect can be subtle, look like your in control, don't look afraid or worried.

Find an emotion and stick with it.

Refine, refine, refine.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2017, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2017, BenSimon wrote:

This is a sincere bit of advice.

I was distracted by all of the facial expressions. Overacted to the max.

Drama for this kind of effect can be subtle, look like your in control, don't look afraid or worried.

Find an emotion and stick with it.

Refine, refine, refine.

Sound device from a professional. Thanks for reminding me Al, I sometimes over-do it myself.
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Thanks for the honest words, Al, I will keep them in mind and try to tone down.

The thing is, 80% of the time I'm really threading the string through the blade with my tounge and it is not acted at all, but in between I might have gone over the top.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2017, BenSimon wrote:
Thanks for the honest words, Al, I will keep them in mind and try to tone down.

The thing is, 80% of the time I'm really threading the string through the blade with my tounge and it is not acted at all, but in between I might have gone over the top.

I use to tie cherry stems in my mouth with my tongue, as a trick, so I can appreciate the practice and dexterity that this effect involves.
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Weepin Willie, haha, respect for that.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2017, BenSimon wrote:
Weepin Willie, haha, respect for that.

Nothing impresses a woman any more than you sitting at a table, and after she finishes her drink, you tie the stem of her cherry and pull it out of your mouth. I imagine threading a razor blade with a piece of thread might be more impressive. Some skills need no comment.
tvbuzz
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
57 Posts

Profile of tvbuzz
One of my favorite versions of this was done by Brad Stine.

Now a comedian, Brad did an amazing pickpocket and incredible parlor act for many years.

His version always made the most sense to me.

After he 'swallowed' everything, you would see blood starting to drip from his mouth.

He would touch it with his hand and then open his mouth to talk .... and when he did .... his tongue would fall it.

Freaking awesome and simply made a lot of sense to the audience.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, tvbuzz wrote:

Now a comedian, Brad did an amazing pickpocket and incredible parlor act for many years.

After he 'swallowed' everything, you would see blood starting to drip from his mouth.

He would touch it with his hand and then open his mouth to talk .... and when he did .... his tongue would fall it.

Awesome.

Heck, I've been doing my sawing in half all wrong.

Next time, my assistant is going to leave the box with only one leg, a bloody stub where the other leg should be.

Thanks for the idea.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Have you guys been watching Preacher? Without ruining it, there's a character named Fiore who cannot die. Out of frustration he begins a career as a Vegas magician but does all of the gruesome tricks for real. His decapitated, beheaded, burned, stabbed, etc., corpses will be left on stage after the effect is over, and a new version of him appears from behind the curtain, completely unharmed. The crowd goes crazy.

It's pretty funny as each effect is more horrific and gory than the last, and the crowd assumes it's just great theatrics.

Anyway, I thought it related in a way. Carry on.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, tvbuzz wrote:

Awesome.

Heck, I've been doing my sawing in half all wrong.

Next time, my assistant is going to leave the box with only one leg, a bloody stub where the other leg should be.

Thanks for the idea.

Sounds like a show I'd pay to see.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, weepinwil wrote:

Sounds like a show I'd pay to see.

For you Willie.

So, this con man who worked in Vegas to a pit boss friend of his that his father had died and left him a mortuary business in Topeka and he was leaving Vegas to go run the business.

A few years later, the pit boss is taking a car trip east and he decided to stop in and see his friend, the con man.

He pulls up to the mortuary, walks in and every viewing room has a coffin and a body in it.

The con man walks in, sees his old friend, they hug and the con man tells him "business has been terrible. I'm not making any money here."

The pit boss looks around and say "But, look at all those bodies."

"Oh, they're just shills," the con man said.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Thanks Al
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What do you think of this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL