The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Dai Vernon" Pronunciation Question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
willtupper
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of willtupper
So, the Wikipedia entry for The Professor says that his first name can be pronounced, "alternatively as DIE or as DAY as in David."

This doesn't seem right to me. Just not... precise enough.

I have (I'm embarrassed to admit) never actually HEARD anyone ever pronounce it. Just read it, many, many times, in several different books.

So, I thought I would ask?

How does one pronounce Dai Vernon's first name, anyway?

And while I know I could probably scour YouTube and possibly find a video where someone (with hopefully, a certain level of authority) says it, I would rather ask here.

And so now, I have.

Is it "Die?" Is it "Day?" And if it IS "Die," then why has no one ever photoshopped his face over Bruce Willis's on the poster for the "Die Hard" movies?

I mean, seriously. That would be perfect, right?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3339 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Look at it this way, David Frederick Wingfield Verner was Vernon's given name. Say David and consider if shortened to "Dai" would it sound like "Die" or "Day"?

I don't think it would matter. Of course you could always ask John Carney.

Max Maven (Phil Goldstein) used the "Die" pronunciation.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
416 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I always called the Professor, "Die" Vernon and during the time he was still with us, he never corrected me. I believe that most of the East Coast magicians pronounced his shortened name as "Day" and magi on the West Coast always referred to him as "Die". The professor responded to both in equally positive ways. So, really both are correct.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1332 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I pronounce it "Die" because I know another guy named Dai, who pronounces it that way.

What I've read corresponds to what Mark said - he responded to either pronunciation equally.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
danaruns
View Profile
Elite user
The City of Angels
454 Posts

Profile of danaruns
"Die" is how it was always said around his haunt, the Magic Castle.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Signet
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Signet
If you search for Dai Vernon on you tube there is a very informative video about his life. I believe it was filmed for Canadian television. I recall they mentioned he began using the shortened name a young man. They also mention his nickname "The Professor."
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3132 Posts

Profile of Julie
I too THINK it was "Die" on the West coast and "Day" in the East. (...or maybe not Smile )

Julie
thatmichaelguy
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of thatmichaelguy
I have always heard it pronounced "Die" but I find it really interesting that there is a coastal difference. Makes me wonder about the folks in the middle of the country. :-p
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1418 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Dai, pronounced "Die" is the Welsh for David.
So, I would pronounce it as the Welsh do.
"But there isn't a door"
willtupper
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of willtupper
Oh, my goodness. That is fascinating, and so much more than I expected when I first posted the question.

I'm humbled & grateful for all your time and replies. Mystery solved, at least to my mind.

Much, much obliged.
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
I asked Max Maven about this once, and he said when one asked Dai which pronunciation he preferred, The Professor always shrugged and said, "Either/Either" (pronouncing it both 'eether and eyether'). He said people called (and Dai answered to) both.

For the record, Stanyon's right - Max does pronounce it "Die".

Bottom line: You're ALL correct. Smile
http://www.mistylee.com

Whoever said the hand is quicker than the eye never tried rolling the two down a ramp.
willtupper
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of willtupper
So cool. Thank you, Misty (and everybody else) for all of your help!
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
My vote is with "DIE" always have heard it this way and have always pronounced it that way.

toe may toe
toe mah toe

semantics
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4512 Posts

Profile of landmark
Vernon wrote in one of his Genii columns in the 70s that his name was pronounced "die."
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"--Abraham Lincoln

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2273 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
His name was pronounced "Day" for his entire life until he moved to the west coast in, I think, 1963.
How it became "Die" out there I have no idea. But everyone who knew him from before his move called him "Day," and everyone who met him after he moved called him "Die."
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1834 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
What an interesting thread Smile. And thanks for that bit of info, Mr Kaufman, you learn something new every day.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6950 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The first time that I lectured at the Castle in the very early '70s, I had not met Dai, but, I knew a bit about him through Jay Marshall.

So, when he walked up, after I finished, I knew that he was going to say "something", but "what"!

He flicked some ashes off his cigar, smiled, and simply said, "A lot of the fellows at the Castle, should have been here for this!"

A few years later, when I was doing a week in the Parlor, he came, with Dick Cavett, and, stayed for the whole act!

I tell another story, or two, about him, in my book. We were never "close", but had a mutual respect.

Being from the east (Michigan) I always said "Day". Philip Goldstein was from Boston. I suppose that when he moved west, he adopted the "Castle pronunciation"! hee hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magictaffy
View Profile
New user
Cardiff,Wales.UK
66 Posts

Profile of magictaffy
Www.meaning-of-names.com/welsh-names/dai.asp

Meaning of "Dai". Welsh name. In Welsh, the name Dai means - Shines. A Welsh diminutive of David, meaning beloved or friend... Other origins for the name Dai include - Welsh, Irish, Japanese. The name Dai is most often used as a boy name or male name.

The welsh version of Dai is pronounced as "die", I have no idea if this has any bearing on how Dai Vernon became "Dai" or if he has any welsh ancestry, but that's how we pronounce it here in Wales.

Magic Taffy
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4620 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Cool history Magic Taffy. Thank you!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
22 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2017, Misty Lee wrote:
I asked Max Maven about this once, and he said when one asked Dai which pronunciation he preferred, The Professor always shrugged and said, "Either/Either" (pronouncing it both 'eether and eyether'). He said people called (and Dai answered to) both.

For the record, Stanyon's right - Max does pronounce it "Die".

Bottom line: You're ALL correct. Smile

Yes, the Professor would reply with that answer ("eetheir or eyether") when he was asked by west-coast and east-coast magicians which he preferred.
Regards,

Oscar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Dai Vernon" Pronunciation Question (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL