The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Hamman count -- is it harder to learn if you don't know the Elmsley count (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
In this video I start with eight cards and I end with four cards.
Everything just false counts.
Very, very suitable for wild card routines, 8 card brainwave routines, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4PUyDm8Qc&t=2s

If there is really interest, then I can make a explanation video with these all false counts (where I start with eight cards and end with four cards).
If anyone is interested can contact me via PM.

Darko
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Very nicely done.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm really impressed that you were able to learn the fingertips Hamman count from watching a trailer. The dvd you mentioned finally did go on sale, for $9.00. For me, at least, it was a waste of money: the explanation went by so fast that I couldn't follow it. Daryl does it on his Encyclopedia of Card sleights, but there again, the presentation is pretty brisk, though definitely better. If anyone has a reference, on dvd or in print, to the fingertips Hamman,one that's detailed and slow, I'd love to hear about it.

And to Darko: I won't ask you again, because it's obviously your choice whether to divulge your methods, but I'd still be interested in learning how to do the false counts that you used in your videos on this thread. Thanks for considering!

Bob
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2018, Bob G wrote:

And to Darko: I won't ask you again, because it's obviously your choice whether to divulge your methods, but I'd still be interested in learning how to do the false counts that you used in your videos on this thread. Thanks for considering!
Bob

I can make an explanation video for you.
I will contact you.

Darko
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Darko,

That's very generous of you. Many thanks.

Bob
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
Darko,

That's very generous of you. Many thanks.

Bob

See your PM box.

Darko
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Got it -- very excited to watch. I'll PM you once I've done so.
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
Can this be public? Or can we request it also? Count is nice.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
I'm really impressed that you were able to learn the fingertips Hamman count from watching a trailer. The dvd you mentioned finally did go on sale, for $9.00. For me, at least, it was a waste of money: the explanation went by so fast that I couldn't follow it. Daryl does it on his Encyclopedia of Card sleights, but there again, the presentation is pretty brisk, though definitely better. If anyone has a reference, on dvd or in print, to the fingertips Hamman,one that's detailed and slow, I'd love to hear about it.
Bob

I suppose you were addressing me? Once you've worked with false counts for a certain amount of time, you'll see that there's nothing mysterious about it. For example, dj's count demos for 5 and 7 cards are identical to the count I perform (for 5) on my own demo. The grip is slightly different for sure, but the mechanics (and the tells) are the same. So, once you've learnt dj's count (Elmsley Grip), you can transfer your knowledge to the grip I demo - if you wished.

As always, I wish you good luck in your endeavours.
PS: Sorry you wasted your money on the DVD Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Dear Claudio,

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to address you for part of my message, and the "general public" for the rest of it. I hope you didn't take personally my remark about the DVD -- that was supposed to be the part for the general public. You had said that you'd learned the count by watching the trailer and hadn't seen the DVD. You didn't recommend the DVD, so you have nothing to feel sorry about. It was my decision to buy it, and for $9 I'm not going to complain. My purpose was simply was simply to inform others who might want to follow up on the fingertips Hamman about the disk's brevity and lack of detail for that sleight.

Thanks for your thoughts about the unity of false counts. And yes, of course, once I learn Darko's counts, and Alex Elmsley's original version of his count, I want to work on the grip you displayed. It will take some (pleasurable) time to get through all that...! Smile

As always, thanks for all the help you've given me and for your friendly spirit.

Bob
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
No problem at all, Bob, but thanks all the same for clarifying. And enjoy the journey Smile
judagar
View Profile
New user
Cary, NC
44 Posts

Profile of judagar
Best book ever written on the subject: https://www.amazon.com/Counts-Moves-Subt......MQ1981ZM
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, judagar wrote:
Best book ever written on the subject: https://www.amazon.com/Counts-Moves-Subt......MQ1981ZM

Seconded!

In the mid to late 70's; when Emerson & West particularly were leading the way with packet tricks; this booklet was the 'go to bible'.

Well-written and full of clear photos; with useful techniques other than just false counts. Contents as follows:

Chapter 1: Undercuts & Reversals:
Double Undercut: control to top or bottom
Braue Reversal: reverse one or more cards
Concealed Reversal: addition to Braue Reversal

Chapter 2: Counts, Move and Subtlety:
The Biddle Move (Elmer Biddle): remove one card from a group while counting
Hammon Count (Brother John Hammon): Switch one packet for another while counting
Veeser Count (Bob Veeser): variation of the Elmsley Count
Another Count: conceal bottom card of four
Flushtration Move (Brother John Hammon): apparently show all backs
Haback Count (Phil Goldstein AKA Max Maven): Show 5 as five, but some hidden
Olram Subtlety (Ed Marlo): Show cards while hiding one
Downs Change (T. Nelson Downs): change of one card for another
True or False (Jack Chanin): false count

Chapter 3: Elmsley, Jordan, Etc.
The Elmsley Count (Alex Elmsley): Also known as the "Ghost Count", Counting 4 as 4.
The Jordan Count (Charles T. Jordan): another 4 as 4 count
The Siva Count (Jack Avis): conceals center card of a 5 card packet
Open Count (John Murray): conceal 3rd card of 4
Smile Count (Larry West): conceals 3 card surfaces in packet of 4
Pairs Count (Larry West): variation of Smile Count
The Spirit Count (Gene Castillon): a "2 and 2" count for packet of 4

Chapter 4: Spreads
The Simple Spread: keeping a card concealed as packet is spread
The Back Spread: backs up
Buckle Count: using a buckling of the fingers
Ascanio Spread (Arturo de Ascanio): concealing a card in a fair looking spread

A superb reference book - particularly for any beginners interested in pursuing card magic.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Just to add that I would buy the book directly from a magic shop - they need the business direct; rather than that despicable company Amazon. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, Merc Man wrote:
Just to add that I would buy the book directly from a magic shop - they need the business direct; rather than that despicable company Amazon. Smile

Agreed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Hamman count -- is it harder to learn if you don't know the Elmsley count (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL