The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Light and Heavy Chest Gospel routine/patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2017, MagicBus wrote:
Hi All: The "performance mat" I believe adds greatly to the deceptiveness of the trick in my judgment. Gimpy sells them off his website, they are also available from Penguin Magic.

I decorated the four corners of both sides of my performance mat with 4 anti-slip bathroom tub stickers (available from Bed, Bath and Beyond and many other stores). So now my mat looks more like a handmade goofy looking dining table place mat.

I then (as part of the routine) say how when I have used my Walmart plastic tv tray in the past in my living room, the top is so very slippery that I have slid off several full cans of soda off of it onto the carpet while watching tv (true story). My wife is not amused needless to say (also very true). So my long suffering wife always gives me a place mat to use (yep, it's true too) so when I eat off of or use this particular large tv tray, the placemat is good keeping the food or soda in place so it won't go easily sliding off tight onto the floor. So then using this mat as part of my routine (in my mind at least) may seem more "natural".

What is so very, very, very neat about the performance mat is it allows one to turn the light and heavy box slightly in several directions after it is "heavy". I tested it immediately on my own Walmart tv tray, it worked perfectly. I could not lift it myself.

As for having a heavy table, it is not needed when following the DVD video instructions via Gimpys link that comes with his performance mat. I test tried out his suggestions myself, it works! I don't know why I did not think of it before. Do exactly as Gimpy suggests in the instructional video that comes with the mat (this is not the same public video that Gimpy has posted on youtube to promote the product sale).

If the performer is really insecure about it, you can sneak one's foot onto the lower floor support post on the Mainstay/Walmart tv tray --- but I found out that is NOT necessary at all when using Gimpy's exact prop handling instructions/and specific instructions which are given to the spectator.

Again, it is quite an investment to get all these props, but for me it was worth it as it fits in perfectly with the Biblical encouragement I hope to do with my "seniors" programs. Routine will be posted in a few days, still deciding on which Bible verses to highlight as there are so many on this subject of Jesus making our load easier/carrying our burdens.

Magicbus,

Thanks for your kind comments on my products sorry I had not seen them before. The mat has been out almost a year and its suprising to me how few out there have noticed it. The mat and the instruction vidio solve so many of the problems asociated with the practical performance of the light heavy box. Honestly not a week goes by that someone asks if they need a special heavy table to perform this. I agree that using a light table greatly strengthens the effect just a slight move of the table is all you need to demonstrate without a word that its not the table holding the box down. Just the slightest wiggle of the mat proves no connection to the table. Ad the hop move in and you have added more layers to the onion.There is just so much more you can do with these boxes now. Glad to hear some of you are making good use of the information.

Gimpy
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Making our load easier - meditating on 'burden' the other morning- Visualize this- a large sack full of sand - on your shoulders-pushing you down-you ask the Lord for HELP - the LORD pokes his finger into the sack and the sand slowely pours out- troubles(!) start to fade away. You ask why not just all at once - if all at once you'd pop up and go off balance-by slowely streighteng up you will then be able to walk with the Lord streight, upright. Another thought- when I was 14 I lifted weights - my coach would add a few iunds each month to build strength - notice how we are burdened little more by litle more - why?? to BUILD and strengthen our Faith - just a thought from an old man L-O-L.
Marlinj
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Marlinj
Roger, Thanks for sharing your routine with the light and heavy box! One question about the performance mat though.
At one point you made a comment "Take out the Walmart tv tray, show both sides of it, and set it up: then place on it the "performance mat" after showing both sides of it as well.". That makes it sound like the tv tray goes ON the mat, but in other comments I got the impression that the mat goes ON THE TV TRAY. Which way is it? (You commented several times that it looks like a "place mat" that belongs on a dining room table, which I really didn't understand because you were using "FISH" suction cups for a bathtub - how can that look like it belongs on a dining table? But more importantly, if it looks like a PLACEMAT, why would one be putting in UNDER the table?)
If you could clarify these points and where the mat goes it would be appreciated.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I have done this several times. The performance mat goes on the top of the tray or table. Really reinforces the box is not directly connected to the table or tray it is resting on. A fun trick if combined with a good patter story. The fact the mat can be moved slightly after the box is set on it further adds to the secret being hidden.
Marlinj
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Marlinj
Ok thanks for clarifying the mat does indeed go on top of table, I was a little confused on that point.
So am I to understand that with the use of the mat, it eliminates the need to use a heavy table? (assuming used correctly according to instructions given etc)
Or does the mat in itself have nothing to do with how heavy of a table is needed, and is simply to help hide the secret/method, and to allow a more deceptive performance by being able to slightly move the mat after box is set on it etc?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Using the mat allows a more deceptive performance, it doesn't eliminate the need for a table or what ever you use.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Some great gospel messages here, so happy to see my work being used to spread the word.

Thought I might pass on some more thoughts on light heavy boxes. I think sometimes the effect is thought of in the wrong way. The effect should not be that the box is somehow heavy at times but that the box is always light and for some reason the volunteer cant lift it. so in my mind the more ways you can demonstrate the box as light the stronger the effect. The light heavy box performance mat gives you 4 additional ways to demonstrate the light weight of the box. The methods can be employed at different times in the performance turning the light heavy box from a good effect into a great one.

thank you all for your kind words on my products.
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
Are there any non-magnetic Light Heavy boxes which are examinable? So that the spectator can turn it upside down and look the bottom. I have a box which can't be turned upside down, so what is the best idea to prevent the spectator to do this?
erichoudini
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
When finances permit, I intend to order one of Gimpy’s Mini Light-Heavy Chests, with his performance mat as well. I have read a lot of positive feedback on this item. In the meantime, I am awaiting the arrival of a Light-Heavy chest sold by Mission Magic. If anyone has or is familiar with this effect, can you please give me some feedback/opinions on it? I am wondering if it is a reasonable initial exploration device in terms of this type of effect. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Eric.
erichoudini
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
With the release of Gimpy’s new Light-Heavy cardboard box where you can show the inside of the cardboard box as well as the bottom, I am torn. I love the look of the Mighty Mini Chest but the cardboard box seems to be even more magically inexplicable and mystifying. Any thoughts on which effect would be preferable? I am also wondering if Gimpy’s mat which seem to add to the wonder of the mini chest would also be used with the cardboard box version? Thanks for any suggestions.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, Matti Kaki wrote:
Are there any non-magnetic Light Heavy boxes which are examinable? So that the spectator can turn it upside down and look the bottom. I have a box which can't be turned upside down, so what is the best idea to prevent the spectator to do this?

Heres one you can show any side, bottom and inside. http://www.gimpysmagic.com/velihech.html
erichoudini
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I purchased one of the Gimpy Mighty Mini Chests last night following a great conversation with he and his lovely wife. Nice people. I look forward to getting my Mighty Mini and mystifying my family and friends. No sabia que su hija habla Español y qiero mandala recuerdos tambien.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Gimpy has re-issued/improved his cardboard box version as well.
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
I have a mini chest but I like the toolbox better. It makes more sense why it is on the floor, and it is a real world practical item that you can use to help develop you story.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2019, NEKKODDD wrote:
I have a mini chest but I like the toolbox better. It makes more sense why it is on the floor, and it is a real world practical item that you can use to help develop you story.

Why would you perform this on a floor when a light table is so much better. Working these on a floor is very awkward for you and your volunteer. Not familiar with the toolbox model on a table. If it has a handle on it the table could be lifted pretty easy I would think. A fixed handle on a light heavy box really stacks the cards against you.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Here's a routine for which I've used Gimpy's Mighty Mini:

Start with a small white silk handkerchief with the word "SIN" stencilled on it in large block capital letters.
Hold the silk against your chest so that the audience can read it, spelling it out "S-I-N", pointing at the letters "from left to right" (actually your right to left).

The first thing about sin that is peculiar is that it is easy to identify sin on someone else... but that when it is on you, it can look like (looking down at the letters, and explaining that from your left-to-right it reads...) "N-I-S"... "nice" ;-)

The second thing about sin that is peculiar is that it seems like "no big deal", and we figure we can easily hide it so nobody else can see it (using a dye-tube), but when we do that it grows (changes into a larger handkerchief similarly stencilled).

The third thing about sin that is peculiar is that while it seems "light" to us, but it always hurts the people around us, and they find it difficult to handle.
Introduce the Mighty Mini, have the volunteer lift it easily. Then place the handkerchief into the box, setting it. The volunteer is unable to lift it. Remove the handkerchief, and it is once again easy to lift.
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
I like this premise!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Light and Heavy Chest Gospel routine/patter (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL