The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks for a Table of 10 People? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Randy Marsh
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Randy Marsh
I'm going to some office holiday parties in November/December (as a guest, not a hired magician), but I always hate trying to show magic to the entire table. Most of my tricks are close-up tricks that are good for a few people, but don't work well for a big table of 10. Even a chop cup routine is hard because the tables are always cluttered and not everyone has a clear line of sight. What might be some good tricks to perform? I'm thinking bill switch, invisible deck, and maybe card to pocket? Ideally tricks that don't require big props. What do you pros do when you have to do magic for a big table?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
P.N., Ring and Rope and Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot will all work well. I also have a swingy Rope routine that plays big. Cards done "up" at chest height work well.This can mean reworking your handling but it beats everyone staring at the top of your head as you perform for the table. I have a couple of card tricks that involve the audience that play big and are upright. I also do a T&R Dollar Bill. Gypsy Thread can work as well.

If there is time, I often perform at two places at a table, moving so that I can do smaller things without shouting and two sides get a good view. It depends on the noise level, lighting, standing space and time.

Other tables are getting a rearview so play close to the vest. There is a tendency to just ignore these people but exposure is exposure whether we address it or not. When we raise our voices to cover the table that makes surrounding tables more likely to tune in. (Randy, I'm not saying you have this problem, I'm just adding it to the conversation).

-Mary Mowder
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
As already said ring and rope works well as does most rope routines, 3 fly, Extreme burn also play well for large tables.

Talking of 3 fly there are a few coin routines that work well at large tables, not forgetting there's also plenty of card routines that work extremely well too.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Like Mary, I like ropes for this. I usually work my way around the table as I perform.
I also do the ninja rings for large tables like this and again, work my way around the table as I do it.

Those 2 tricks are spectacular for that situation and even when it's extremely loud, as you can, if needed, do those tricks silently..
... as long as you have some showmanship skills.

An added benefit, especially the rings, is that people from different tables will see you, see the reactions and will look forward to your visit.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, definitely Ninja Rings.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Mary had some really good ideas and some that I use . One I really like is multiple location with final revelation is signed card to wallet. Doc Eason & Paul Cummins
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
The way I'd approach this is, instead of thinking about what close up effects would be seen, think about what parlor effects play small enough. That gets you thinking like Mary and opens a lot possibilities, like the other posters have mentioned.

I'd add torn/restored effects (in the setting you are in, maybe a T/R napkin). Vanishing salt/salt pour, color changing silk, ring flight, card to wallet also come to mind. If you are outside, you might think about a cigarette vanish, like Terry Seabrook's work of vanishing a cigarette in a womn's handkerchief, sweater, man's jacket, etc.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
My opinion only. Don't worry so much about what tricks you would do. 10 people is not that many, and most folks can see or will move so that they can see what you are doing. I read where someone asked folks to stand up if they could not see what you are doing. I have tried that at larger tables and it works great. Everyone will tell you to keep things off the table and up and in your hands for visibility. Sure that is common sense but you don't have to. Just tell folks to adjust their sight angles or assist by moving a few things. It works.
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
My first question is, were you asked to do magic? If not, why bring it?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If Randy is a part of the Office Party then that is a social event where he might want to show others his Magic.

It is informal and not during work hours. As long as the people are wanting to see some Magic (and the boss is not making a speech LOL), I don't see a problem.

-Mary Mowder
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Should you work on the table top when working a big ten?
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
You can do what you wish, I work on the table top with 10 tops. Again, folks will move to see and sometimes stand. It works fine.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, ringmaster wrote:
Should you work on the table top when working a big ten?

I think this depends on the shape of the table ie if it's a round table it can be done but on a long rectangular table it would be far from ideal.
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
81 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
Multiple revelation, I've got a version that can be tailored to tables from 6-12 with the bulk of the routine made up of relelations found on Big Blind Media's Multiple Revelation Project.

There are a number of final reveals you can have with perspex or wooden boxes/paperclipped cards/wallets etc. you can use by having a spectator hold/guard cor the duration of the routine. I personally use paperclipped and the papperclipped card in a wine glass, raised if possible, in the middle of the table.

Everyone is invloved/invested in what you are doing.

I've done chop cup routines at weddings for tables of 10-12. If there's space it's do-able.

Rubik's cube magic/demonstrations go down well too, especially if people can mix and handle the cube.

Good luck and remember, the most important things are to enjoy yourself and enjoy what you do.
Sanks
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Sanks
Haunted deck - quite visual
Floating polo (Yigal Mesika) - again very visual
Out of this world - keeps the audience engaged
Stand up monte
S.V.C
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of S.V.C
You could try to get our hand on Helder Guimaraes' Crescendo. It is a multiple card revelation designed for 9 persons.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
One other thought here. If the table is rectangular, try to work in the middle rather than on the end. That seems to keep interest as well.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Hecklau‘s spoonaround just kills
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Working at the end of a rectangular table is better for visibility and angles. You can switch ends to get better coverage.

-Mary Mowder
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I really like tiny plunger or jumbo coincidence. Also, anything that uses a $100 bill switch is easy to see at chest height.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks for a Table of 10 People? (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL