The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Creatively, who do you owe it to? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Influence wise...been thinking a lot about this recently...(shall we side step corinda and annemann though to open it up a little more?)

mine are, in no particular order:
Enrique enriquez - meeting him, watching his lecture then throwing a load of questions his way, suddenly opened up a very big door for me
Scott Grossberg - again, meeting him, a small intimate lecture, watching him do his thing in a bar afterwards, and listening to his business side of things...
john riggs - to see someone with an interesting mindset, to see how it all merged into one complete being, and someone who is so well read, creative, not afraid to talk about his own personal viewpoint without fear, his low key charisma - and enjoying his stories over the years, has again been eye-opening
Kenton knepper - his earlier stuff, and he was the first 'name' that I spoke with via email, it was quite an experience and it was good to read work that was left of centre when everything else I had read was traditional
Neal Scryer - he came along at the right time for me, and his material allowed me to embrace (along with Enrique) a slightly more poetic mode of mentalism that hit home on a few levels during my life experience at that moment in time...and also (for both gents) knowing their personalities, and how that juxtaposed and embraced what they talked about..
Dr. Jaks - his whole mindset, his use of unusual objects, humour, and his sometimes overtly charming presentations rather than grand heavy hitting ones - there's room to be thoughtful and engaging and being a little different...

the best thing is, I never agreed with everything any of them put out or did, or said...I think that too is healthy as an adult...

and then there's stuff I will always love, and creators and performers that I haven't listed above that have made a difference to me - but overall, these are the people who have helped me formulate something that feels like 'me'...which, looking at the list, is kinda odd, because at first blush they are all quite esoteric - and though I had a phase of that, to challenge myself, to see how it was from both sides - it turns out it wasn't me, not authentically...

so that's's me...what about you?
I've asked to be banned
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
A lot of my influences come from outside the world of magic and mentalism. And people might be surprised by some of them.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Serial killers, eh...
I've asked to be banned
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
A lot of my influences come from outside the world of magic and mentalism. And people might be surprised by some of them.

No !
My largest influence came from Alice Cooper ! ( Alice, was aided by Randy, with his early stage illusions tho.)
Cooper, drew me in at a very/very young age ! Smile

~G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Alcohol
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, John C wrote:
Alcohol

LOL

John,You forgot the Sex & Rock N Roll ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Influences. I really like this idea. So who influences my work?

Eugene Burger – His idea of adding meaning to performance caused me to think hard about presentation and to create my own script rather than just to look at what was provided by the creator. He also showed me the importance of looking to the past for hidden inspiration

Chuck Hickok – He showed me that simple presentations don’t have to be simple minded.

Scott Alexander (and Patrik Kuffs) – Their work on the bottle roulette inspired me to create my closer.

John Pinette, Ralphie May, & Steve Martin – They have influenced my persona and attitude toward my own performance and just how important being honest about your show really is.

That’s not everyone, but it’s a few highlights.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Lancy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Lancy
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2017, John C wrote:
Alcohol

i feel your pain. haha
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
- Paul Voodini opened up my mind to the reader/mentalist thing and sitting back and letting the audience take center stage.
-Osterlind's calm manner
-Docc's levity
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Millard Longman. Studying his multi media book and experimenting with different approaches opened my mind to how much can be accomplished with a single index card, and allowed me to come up with several new routines that I've had great success with.

Scott Creasey. Expanded my thinking for how to create very entertaining, deceptive and mysterious routines using ordinary materials and a DIY approach.

Iain Dunford. Helped me see how readings can be done very honestly and ethically, in alignment with my core values and beliefs. No predicting the future or giving advice required.

Kreskin. Reading a description of his Q&A years ago is what sparked a passionate interest in mind reading, and began a life long interest that has been fascinating and a great deal of fun.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
All good examples and I would like to add you to the list Iain. You have been instrumental in the evolution of my thoughts regarding the mystic arts. I never understood why Tarography wasn't a huge hit. It changed me in so many ways.

I would also add:

C. A. Newman
Claude (ALEXANDER) Conlin
Robert A. Nelson
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Bob Cassidy
Lakewood, Ohio
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
In my particular case, a local colleague, Payne Fifield, inspired much of my work and constantly encouraged me to make my material as good as possible (typically indirectly through an informal sense of competitive spirit). I would see what he was doing and then realize that I had to bring the same level of creativity to my own routines.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Bob Cassidy and Richard Osterlind more than anyone else. Two completely different people and two completely different styles.

Ted Karmilovich for brilliant design and execution. Chuck Hickok for his thinking about how to structure a show.

Tony Razzano for teaching me how do do readings and Iain Rowland for teaching me what to look for.

Doc Hilford for making the magicians choice into the mentalists choice.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Bob Cassidy, Banachek, Doug Dyment, Luke Jermay, Richard Webster.

As Ben Blau, I also have awkward influences and inspirations from outside (Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, MacGyver, Neo (Matrix), Punisher, Jin Kazama, etc.)... songs in particular inspires me, specially the mysterious ones such as Boadicea (Enya).
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2017, Max Hazy wrote:
Bob Cassidy, Banachek, Doug Dyment, Luke Jermay, Richard Webster.

As Ben Blau, I also have awkward influences and inspirations from outside (Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, MacGyver, Neo (Matrix), Punisher, Jin Kazama, etc.)... songs in particular inspires me, specially the mysterious ones such as Boadicea (Enya).

Several of my non-magic influences are various individuals who are talented communicators. For example, one of my unlikely influences is David Rosengarten. He was the host of a cooking show many years ago when the Food Network was relatively new. He could make a show about a grilled cheese sandwich seem massively interesting and important.

Other influences of mine are artists that expect and garner a certain quality of attention. A good example is the famous jazz pianist Keith Jarrett. He’s been known to walk out on his own concerts if he didn’t feel the audience was giving his performance the quality of attention he felt it deserved. These days, anyone bothering to go to a Keith Jarrett concert realize that they’re being treated to something very special and important, and he gets the quality of attention he expects and deserves. I aspire to be like Keith, and he has taught me that your art should command a certain quality of attention — and in the absence of that, it shouldn’t be shared in an unfavorable light.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Roni Shachnaey
Tim Conover
Anthony Blake
Juan Tamariz
Ted K.
Ken Weber
Marc Salem
Gil Eagles
Max Maven
Derren Brown
Patrick Page
Myself

Seinfeld
Danny Keay
Jerry Lewis
Jimmy Smith
Chick Corea
Martin Gardner
Jacob Polonski (My physics teacher)
Yossi Vardi
My father
Myself
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Raum
Bob Cassidy
Luke Jermay
Robert A. Nelson
Erik Jan Hanussen
Annemann
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
A partial list:

Neil Gaiman
Lev Grossman
Susanna Clarke
J.R.R. Tolkien
J.K. Rowling
Jodorowski
Raymond Buckland

Derren Brown
Aaron Alexander
Paul Brook
Eugene Burger
Ricky Jay
Daniel Madison
Eric Mead
Mesmer
James Braid
Banachek
Anthony Jacquin
Mike Mandel

Along with several historical accounts of "miracles" or unexplained phenomena.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
From the present day, it has to be ELLIOTT BRESLER in recognition of his fantastic writings !

From the past, the person with the greatest influence on me was definitely ROBERT A NELSON.

Bobby Thomson.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Creatively, who do you owe it to? (23 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL