The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello All! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
New user
Thousand Oaks, California
84 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks for admission to this forum! Lot's of cool people and info here! Looking forward to a lot of reading!

By way of background, I'm a retired scientist. I used to do some magic years and years ago in Junior and Senior high school. I had a lot of the Royal and EZ magic props including all of the Fox Lane gaff decks! Oh the memories! Like the Bicycle gaff decks available now! (I'm considering buying a new Wonder Blocks Smile ) When in Junior high I considered (very briefly) going into magic for a career but gave that up. Back then I could do some of the basic card and coin sleights. But I've forgotten pretty much all the routines. I guess that's expected. The only tricks I sort of maintained was vanishing coin in ear with french drop and a Monte routine using the glide. Now that I've picked up a pack of cards again some fleeting memories of the sleights are returning. The three way false cut details are escaping me at the moment!
But I remember being able to execute fairly well.

Now that I'm retired I'm dipping my toe in again. Looking forward to the learning journey in this forum!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3443 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome docguitarman,

And Welcome back into Magic. We already have some Scientists here. I think the rigor of a career in Science gives you a leg up in deciding what Magic to pursue.

You are in good company. We get a lot of retirees joining now that they have time to practice. You'll be surprised at some of the changes in Magic (not the least of which is the Café which offers free help and fellowship from the comfort of your home).

I'll see you in the card fora.

-Mary Mowder
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
"The Science of Today's world was the magic of Yesterday's world"
I think the science background could lead you to develop some very interesting routines/patter/presentation (how ever you want to label it)
The Tarbell Course in Magic is a great set of books to own. They have a life time of info. I think that is were I learned a 3-way false cut.... When ever I find myself in need of a card move I always will crack open those books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello All! (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL