The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP Fantasio (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
If this is true, then I am sad. He added so much to the art!

However, I only noticed this from Facebook via a post by Marcelo Insua (Mr. Tango). I have tried to substantiate this sad news in vain! Normally the Café is abuzz with RIP messages...but I find none!

Where is internet news and Café posts that evidence that a Great Performer and Innovator has passed?
Thanks,
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
He was the greatest. Brilliant performer, genius inventor and one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

I was a little boy in New York watching Ed Sullivan. I saw this master magician on that show. I sat in amazement. Little did I realize that years later I would move to Miami and become one of his friends.

I have fantastic memories of spending Sundays at his house. We sat around doing magic, creating stuff and just making each other laugh.

I consider him a mentor and friend. Thankfully his legend will go on.

I will miss him always.
Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
RIP
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
A great artist, a gentleman, a friend and mentor to look up to and remember fondly.
A great loss.
Dorothy Dietrich and Dick Brookz.
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
lair
View Profile
New user
Michael P. Lair
44 Posts

Profile of lair
Fantasio was one of the greatest magicians and innovators in magic history. So kind. Such an amazing person, mentor, and friend to me and countless others. One totally irreplaceable person that the magic world was so blessed to have within. I am deeply saddened by Fantasio's passing.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ricardo Roucau, stage name, Fantasio, changed stand-up and stage magic with his creation of the Vanishing and Appearing Canes and Candles. His act was superb, and innovative. No one could compare to his talent and creative abilities.

Anyone know the when, where, how of this disaster?

I read his wife, Monica, passed away a while back, no information or details given.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Bill,
Monica passed October 10, 2013. Genii & Wikipedia states he passed October 30.
I remember saving all the money I could in the 70s to buy the color changing vanishing cane. I went on to also buy the double candelabra, color changing candle and vanishing lit candle under the silk. I thought the price was high! I wish I could be able to buy them at that price NOW!
Back then we all wanted to be him and Copperfield! The products have always been the best and great fun to perform.
Great memories!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Steph, I have a good collection of his products as well. The price may have been seen as expensive by magicians, but once they are used in a show, the comments, gasps, and surprise, the candles and canes created, was worth every penny.

I have the black, red, green, CCC and it is so wonderful. What is also great, you just don't get one trick. With the David Ginn Booklets, and the Fantasio book, you can do so many different effects with surprise climaxes.

Thank you Fantasio, for the miracles!
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Fantasio was a gentleman in all of my dealings with him. I am greatful to him for his knowledge sharing and wonderfull creations.
Rip ..
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
So sad to lose such a creative mind.

David
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Another legend gone to a better place. This cycle of life sure brings one surprise after another.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
So sad that he died last year and I only learn of it now. The Fantasio Canes and candles are legendary. Condolences to any family, friends and the magic community as well. Lynn
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Hey, I've got a question for anyone who knew Fantasio. I didn't, really, other than to chat with at conventions. I was watching two TV spots from the Sullivan shows recently. One was a silk act, backed by a medley of two McCartney songs. The other was a good chunk of his candle act, backed by a Harry Nilsson song. I never noticed the music before, although I MUST have seen these performances at one time or another.

So, was that HIS music for those two routines, or was that something that the Sullivan music director (Ray Bloch, I think) came up with? It worked very well in both cases, as if the magic was choreographed with that music. Silent magic isn't (or, at least, shouldn't be) something that you just slap any ol' music behind. Fantasio was a bit of a perfectionist, although he could easily laugh at his own screw-ups over the years. Anyway, I'm just curious about these musical choices. Anybody know?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I can't answer your questions but I have noticed that many of the juggling acts seem to have the same music on Sullivan.

I don't recall if that was the original music with the acts but I doubt it.

I'm wondering if the repackaging group that put it out changed the music because of artist rights issues.

-Mary Mowder
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Hmmmm.....I never noticed the juggling music. I looked again and I'm pretty sure the Fantasio music wasn't added later (as in the repackaged home video releases). It looks and sounds like the conductor was aware of what was happening onstage. Anything's possible, though. It is showbiz, after all. Thanks, Mary; I appreciate your time and thoughts.

-MJ
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So many great ones going away from us! "Vanishing" from this earthly realm. It seems we are getting hit hard, lately. Now Fantasio?

Feeling that now all too familiar stab of pain in my heart.

Out. Out brief candle...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP Fantasio (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL