The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ideas for adding cards while performing (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Hello everyone,

As the name of the title suggests I am looking for some ideas for adding duplicates or gimmicks to a deck of cards while performing.

To give a few examples: Angle Z by Daniel Madison, French Kiss by Wayne Houchin, Arson by Alex Pandrea. These are a few effects that I perform regularly. I find them to be very strong and audiences go nuts!
The first problem I am having is that I don't know where to keep the gimmicks until I am ready to add them to the deck. They are usually in my card box and I just leave them in while taking the deck out. The best way I can think of so far is my back pockets. The problem with this is that I perform sitting down quite a lot and that warps the cards.

Anyway thanks for taking an interest and any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated.

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Jacket pocket and do what Madison does on Fool us.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4051 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Most efficient way is, keeping one gimmick behind your card box's cellophane.

And the UCCU by Jeff Kaylor, you could place a couple gimmicks in there and retrieve one at a time easily.
MrEmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MrEmagic
I agree with the UCCU (or TKO 2.0). It also allows you to get rid of the gimmicks when you don't need them anymore.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2236 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
If you perform sitting down a lot, then I'd recommend lapping as a standard way to get into and out of tricks that use gaffs. A terrific 5-DVD set authored by Tamariz and Dani Da Ortiz, among others, is available at Vanishing Inc. and covers all aspects of lapping. It isn't cheap, but you add a number of moves to your toolbox that allow you to work without gimmicks or other contraptions. Check out the trailer and have a look for yourself.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......dvd-set/
Steven Keyl

The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That actually looks fantastic Steven!

I'll look into it. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
There's a nice little thing in the Books 3 of Paul Harris's "Art of Astonishment" series called "Free Ride." The extra cards stay in the card box until you need them and then are cleverly added to the deck.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
vernonscigar
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of vernonscigar
I've been learning about palming recently and it seems like it might be able to work in this scenario. Have you considered palming?
MrEmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MrEmagic
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2017, vernonscigar wrote:
I've been learning about palming recently and it seems like it might be able to work in this scenario. Have you considered palming?

I find palming a great way to add a card to a deck, but not so much for gimmicks because you always have to somewhat bend the card.
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
This doesn't work for every situation, but Tommy Wonder would sew two cards together and store gimmicked cards between them like a booklet. this conceals the cards and keeps them together so you can leave them in the deck and (overhand) shuffle and cut to them whenever you need them. The downside is of course like I said, it doesn't work for every situation, you'd need to carefully plan out which tricks you do. Tommy would (at least in his lecture and Books of Wonder) do his falling pips, then use the gaff to hide the DFs while he did Ambitious Card
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2236 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The trailer I linked above has been changed to a chat with Juan Tamariz. This one gives a better idea of the content:

And here is Yann Frisch's FISM act, which is fully detailed in the set (even if his style is unrelated to yours, you will find a substantial number of techniques that can be adapted to a multitude of situations):

Steven Keyl

The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of langston3711
I use a method I saw Matthew Dowden use on one of his DVD's. I use it to ring in odd color backed cards for certain routines and Anniversary Waltz gimmicks. I place all of the odd cards in my jackets ticket pocket. That's the small lower left inside lapel jacket pocket. It keeps them in great shape and it's the perfect size for playing cards. Then in between tricks I can grab the next one with my right hand while the deck is in my left and pull it out straight to the bottom of the deck using the jacket lapel and the deck itself as cover. Typically this is during an off beat right after a previous tricks climax and flies by unnoticed. Hope this helps
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam, Holland
35 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for sharing that! I'll try that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ideas for adding cards while performing (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL