The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » No sleight of hands (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

falcon2600
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Hi,

being a beginner I was wondering how I could find effects (still appearing as 'miracles') like OOTW, ACAAN etc. which don't use sleight of hands...

Thanks.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6950 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The Tarbell Course (originally produced as a correspondence course in 1927) is available FREE on pdf.

The patter and presentation is now archaic, BUT, the PRINCIPLES are there! --And, you need to know PRINCIPLES.

(That is, if you really want to be a magician!!!)

"Magic" involves "5% sleight of hand skills, 5% sensory illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, and, 85% PSYCHOLOGY".

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Drink deep or taste not the Pyrean spring." --Alexander Pope

I think I misspelled "Pyrean", but don't let that bother you!

Don't be concerned with "the latest and greatest"! (You cannot BUY magic tricks! You can only BUY secrets and props.)

Most of my act, with which I've made a living, for 50 years, uses principles that I learned from TARBELL.

There are some people here, who meaning well, will recommend specific tricks, that they like (most of which, will require, the purchase of specific props or secrets in books or dvds. You will do better, if you read--and learn--from Doc Tarbell.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6950 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.:l Whether the tricks that you learn to perform, will "...appear as 'miracles', will depend on YOU and YOUR PRESENTATION.

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic.

Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." --S.H. Sharpe
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7533 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The Magic Book - or any of my books. Sure some sleights, but always taught - and always many utilizing no sleights.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6950 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Harry! I haven't seen you much, lately! Glad you're back! Yup! falcon! Anything that Harry has written, is well worth your time!!! Harry writes clearly, and concisely, plus, he can DO everything he writes about!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1226 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Look for the words “self working” if you want tricks with minimal physical skill. Be warned, however, that such methods demand greater presentational ability. There is no truly self working miracle. Some require skill in execution, and these can be well worth the effort. Others require skill in how you show them.

Henry Hay, in his Amateur Magician’s Handbook talks of “easy hard tricks and hard easy tricks.” This is what he means.

OOTW is very strong when done well and dreadful when done poorly. It takes a fair amount of time, so if you don’t engage interest, it turns into a very dull process instead of an amazing thing.

I strongly suggest you start with one book or video and pick a trick to get really good at. Challenge yourself. Create at least two different ways to present the same thing. An easy mental exercise is to ask how you would do a trick for a kids, vs an adult. Then go out and try them out.

Patrick
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
One of the classic sources for the kind of card magic you are looking for is "Self-Working Card Tricks" by Karl Fulves. Is is available on amazon in an inexpensive Dover edition so you can dip your toe into the water.

What is not do is teach you the principles behind the performance of magic. For that you can look at another classic, "Showmanship for Magicians by Henning Nelms....also available in a Dover edition on Amazon.

So for about $22 you'd have a great start.
Black Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottish Highlands
397 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Greetings Falcon 2600

If you are interested in something a little different then you could take a look at Black Artefacts (www.blackhart.co.uk) Bizarre Magic, where presentation and story is uppermost. Black Artefacts effects do not contain difficult sleight of hand (indeed most do not contain any) as we thoroughly believe that the most important thing is the presentation and atmosphere that you create inside the spectators mind.

I am not anti 'finger flinging' and if that is your 'thing' then that's fine, it's just not for me or my customers.

Black Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
Hi Falcon,

Check out a DVD from Big Blind Media called Ultimate Self Working Card tricks #1. I enjoy sleight of hand myself, but many of these tricks are just as strong without the difficult moves. You should be able to find several reviews here on the Café.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6950 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, a month has passed, and, there is NO RESPONSE from falcon 2600.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1226 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I bet he's so busy practicing his tricks that he hasn't had time to check back in. I love it when that happens, don't you, Dick?

-Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » No sleight of hands (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL