The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2004 entrée: Wesley James » » The Path Less Traveled » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
There are several topics here which extol the virtues of virtue, as it were. We all at some time or another “hit the wall” and lose hope that we can make a difference by being a leading example in being ethical when we are met head on by consciousless thieves, people who ignore the honor of the past so they can benefit today, and those to whom, although they have some acclaim, magic is still just some fun little joke pursuit and proper crediting is equally unimportant. Any of which wouldn’t be such a big deal if it were the exception but with so many coming in new to magic and seeing this raping of the honor and history of the art, believe that it is the practice and not the exception.

So my question is, Wesley, how do you reach down into your inner strength and plod on the “path less traveled”? What tools do you have for keeping up your inner strength while facing those who steal material, ignore copyrights, etc.? How do you stay on track when “magicians” clamor for “presentation” and when they see it, ignore it completely?

Tom
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Tom,
Are you talking to me? Despite our intermittent ongoing exchanges over the internet, you don't really know me. I don't run my life as a popularity contest and I don't make excuses for my convictions. I live my life by my own ethical standards. Whatever others do or don't do, I answer to my own God-given conscientiousness. If asked, I'll share my beliefs with others in an effort to help them see a point of view they may not hold but ultimately I expect that they will answer to their conscientiousness.

When I find someone whose ethics or behavior are beyond my ability to cope, I cut myself off from that person. It is as though they were dead to me. I know it isn't the most christian thing to do but I am a flawed human being, a mere seeker on the path to wisdom and enlightenment. I'm not at the point where I can be in the company of some such individuals without it arousing my ire, and I don't enjoy being irate; sometimes they don't either.

Beyond that, when the opportunity to affect opinion and/or practice in magic presents itself, I do my best to be as persuasive as my tools and talents allow.

I frankly don't think those who behave in ways of which I disapprove are necessarily all the same. Some are misgudied souls who can be affected through guidance. Some are lazy souls who don't recognize that their failings are harmful to them and the rest of the community. Information may prove motivating to such individuals but there are no guarantees. Few are truly evil spirited but those individuals are expelled from my consideration. "Between the gallows and the grave salvation may be found," but it isn't going to found from me.

I hope that answers your question, Tom. As a person who also has passion for our Art, you may have your own ways of coping, and I would welcome you sharing them. I don't find it difficult to behave in accord with my beliefs. I do find it frustrating that I'm not able to reach all those who don't beleive in like manner but that's my burden to bear.

Wesley James
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Perhaps you should be more forceful sir? You speak of wishing to reach those who do not also believe.

And yet, you told me sir, in another thread, that attempts to reach beyond oneself, and perhaps a small circle of friends, should be discouraged?
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Mithrandir,
"Discouraged" is an inacurate characterization of my message. I simply realize that one cannot institute a policy that will cause everyone one to fall in line, hew the mark and behave properly. The Pope can't even do that with all of the Catholic faithful. You may have noticed that I have not shrunk from communicating to a wider audience through through this and other forums of which I can avail myself. When you have the opportunity to communicate to a wider audience I do not discourage you from presenting the case as well as you are able. I do, however, warn that while you may touch a few many a deaf ear will ignore you, or worse, attack you for having wasted their time, being pollyanna-ish, etc. Stick to your guns, the war is not won in one battle but one battle can turn the war. One never knows which battle it will be.

Wesley James
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Wesley, I am in full agreement about the 'ire' thing. I am a source of amazement to those who knew me in my past. I walked away from being a fan of all competitive sports, because I just didn't need any more stress in my life. I did the same to some of my 'friends' when they proved to be more than I could handle. By 'handle' I mean, their behavior was more than I could abide, they were not about to change it, nor did I ask them to. There are not really all that many things in life worth stressing out about, and I don't make a habit anymore of looking for more. I thank Dr. Andrew Weil for prescribing my first news fast six or seven years ago. I began to notice what stressed me, how stress affected me, and how to minimize it. Others' desire to either credit magic effects or not, is just not worth my stressing over, though I have my own thoughts about it.
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Mark,
Have you considered taking up meditation? It can go a very long way in helping one deal with the stress that is a relatively normal part of daily life in this hectic world. Just fifteen minutes twice a day can make the difference between a stressed out life and an even disposition. Even in the worst case you'll feel more rested after your visit to your oasis in the storm. If you don't believe me, read Herbert Benson's The Relaxation Response.

Wesley James
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
If you don't believe me, read Herbert Benson's The Relaxation Response.

I certainly believe you, Wesley. I've attempted your suggested read on several occasions-- but fell fast asleep before I could complete it.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I hear you Mr. James...will try to be zen about the majority of magicians.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wesley,

You answered my question quite perfectly. I believe my approach has been, shall we say, a bit more heavy handed and I have been less and less happy with the results.

Thanks,

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2004 entrée: Wesley James » » The Path Less Traveled » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL