The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Smoothness. (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gallagher
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Watching,
whom I find to be the 'Greats',
in Coin Magic;
these folks ALL have a similar trait.
Be it David Roth, Marion Boykin, Micheal Rubinstein,..
Dafedas B, Eric Jones,...Jim Cellini,..Kainoa Harbottle.
They ALL have a 'smoothness'.
A 'calmness' in their work.

There is never a moment of stress,..'push',...jerkiness.

It is somehow,...relaxing.

Where, when,..HOW does this come about?

Practise?
Experience?
Are there 'training tipps'?

Is it a 'personal thing'?

I struggle with it,....for it.

It distracts, from my performance.
It's my biggest hurdle, in the moment,
to overcome.

I would really appreciate any thoughts, pushes, tipps,..suggestions, advise.
Thank you,
gallagher
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2660 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Practice performing in front of people. When you practice by yourself and say the presentation in your mind, it never comes out that way in performance. So practice out loud. And then in front of people.
And have fun.
If you don't practice all the time, you will forget what you wanted to do. And the more you practice the more creative you feel.
And don't think so much about being "Smooth." You will be more clean the more you play. Enjoy magic, have fun with it and love it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7597 Posts

Profile of funsway
In speech training, e.g. sales professionals and instructors, a process known as "grounding" can be effective.
This is a technique for clearing the mind and focusing on the task at hand before the actual "Step # 1" of the process.

It can be as simple as touching your fingers together or a muttered mantra. Many professionals do this unconsciously.
The key is to link a specific action to the need to "be present" in the moment.

For some, it is useful to imagine a huge glass bell jar lowing over you and those with whom you are engaging. Nothing can come in from the outside.
Thus "being smooth" is the result of practiced automaticity, situational role play (see Fonda above), and being able to make what you are doing the most important part of living at that moment.

this segues to another factor - the question of what part of your presentation is the most important? Practice? Routining? Live presentation? etc.

The answer is "The part you are doing right now!"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2660 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Speaking of smooth, you will be smooth before you even realize it
gallagher
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Guys,
thanks for your advice.

Fonda, I think you are right,.
"...the more clean my moves become."
I will concentrate on that.

Funsway,..that 'focus' IS hard!
I can imagine you are right(!).
This is a start.

I will try slowing down a bit.
Consciously, slowing down a bit..
This is hard,..'in the moment'.

Thanks for your advise and thoughts.
,..now comes the work.
gallagher
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I don’t know if this makes sense to any one, but feel that each routine has an inherent rhythm to it. That rhythm can change in different segment of the routine.
Perhaps practicing to music will help you get the smoothness you’re looking for.
I sometimes think about that when I watch David Roth do a coin routine and remember Frank Garcia handle a deck of cards.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4500 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
And the Routine It's self Has to flow ! If you have a routine With a lot of stuff in if for no reason And lot of odd Moves It Is not going to flow!!! And yea Always SLOW- DOWN. You have seen the routine!!! The people you are showing it to have not !!!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3398 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Smoothness relates to 1. practice. Be able to do this in your sleep. Make sure your patter is rehearsed and repeatable, and matches your moves.
2. Slow it down. It looks more magical and smoother when you move in a slow relaxed manner. It also allows you to not get stuck if you are doing a difficult move. Hesitation will be detected easier if you move faster.
3. No abnormal finger movements. That reveals detection and manipulation.
4. The best way to help you along this path is to film yourself. This way you can be your own worst critic. I can't tell you how many times I watched myself and caught stuff that I wasn't aware of.
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4500 Posts

Yea The 1 St time saw myself on Tape I said " I move that FAST !!! " You don't know How fast you are going Until you see it on tape!!!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2660 Posts

Profile of fonda57
First time I was recorded I almost cried
gallagher
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Again, thanks for the advice!

Sometimes, when I watch really great folks,
I think, "what talent!".
"Such hands!."
"Inner cool!"

they would probably ALL like to kill me(!),
considering all of the WORK they've put into it!

At the same time,
it's a nice thought,
believing it is attainible.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
,it helps,
thinking it can develope.
Thanks again, for the advice.
gallagher
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4500 Posts

HAY you will get there man It just takes Time!!! We where there once!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
gallagher
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Funny, how it 'developes'.
When I was starting off,
I thought, "If I could just do,..a half decent finger palm and shuttle pass."

Now, 'capable' of a "half decent..,..."
The 'Ramsey Subtlty',...'
"simply,..a half-decent Retention vanish,..".
My next question is dangerous,..but honest.

Do you guys ever feel 'good enough'?
Do you reach peaks of 'satisfaction'?
Jakeg, I can relate to your music anology,...does the song ever 'harmonize'?

Was Mick Jagger singing about his Coin Roll,
while screaming out: " I can't get no,...." ?

Do you guys reach,
not 'a zone';
but 'a level'?

Fonda, how do you see your film clips today?
,...i shared the tears,...yesterday(!).

Dave, what makes you keep putting 'the time' in?
,..going for it.
Moments of satisfaction?
,,.hope?

[i'm sitting out a rainy spell,
with two coins, Arthur Buckley, and mangy dog.
My wife's great coffee keeps the boat afloat. 😊]

any thoughts,..appreciated.
gallagher
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3398 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Self satisfaction in doing a good job. Revisiting old routines periodically to see if they can be improved. With age, getting smarter and more deliberate, trying not to be sloppy. When I was younger, didn't care as much, and delighted in doing the hard stuff. Now, realize that harder is not always better, and looking more toward what makes the effect look more magical.
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7719 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2017, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Self satisfaction in doing a good job. Revisiting old routines periodically to see if they can be improved. With age, getting smarter and more deliberate, trying not to be sloppy. When I was younger, didn't care as much, and delighted in doing the hard stuff. Now, realize that harder is not always better, and looking more toward what makes the effect look more magical.

Totally agree! Smile

Once you better comprehend the mechanics, you begin to slow things down a bit, even throw a few things overboard you've been carrying around because that's what the instructions said to do. Smile Of course diligence and practice are the oil that grease the wheels, and it is time that delivers the better product of it all. I do believe that God planned it to work best that way. Smile

With that, children can't be wise, as old men can't just be youthfully smart again...The passage of time, effort and better understanding delivers the experiences of life that make it good-better-best...And not just in magic, but in everything. Smile

Keep journeying G...Straight ahead my friend.

*Oh, and thanks for the fine mention above. Not sure I'm in those circles, but happy to be somewhere near, perhaps in the shadows, around a corner or two now & again...Thank you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4500 Posts

Well The TIME is Practice Time !!! You got to keep working at it Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
545 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I plead guilty to thinking "Good enough" when it comes to sleights. There are certain coin sleights that I cannot do convincingly --- I can't do a back palm; I can't do a muscle pass; and I can't do much of a back thumb palm (at least not in a split second).

But without those sleights, I can still perform:

1. Gadabout Coins
2. Coins Across
3. Coins Through the Table
4. Out For Four
5. Matrix
6. A simple one-coin flurry

When I perform, I nearly always do a minimum of one coin effect or routine, and a maximum of two. So, while I am still trying to perfect my Down's Palm and my back thumb palm in my "hobby time," I spend more time trying to hone that smoothness that you describe, by practicing up on the effects that I already do.

There is so much to know and to master, and I will always want to learn new things; but I believe my time is better spent being ultra smooth and "natural" on the admittedly small number of effects above.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4500 Posts

I could Not ever do The back palm from Bobo's I have been told That the one is do is the Down's back palm! but I have never been able to find it Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2660 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think Smooth would be a good title for a book. And all the smoothies could contribute. I'd buy that book.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26494 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A few ideas you might find useful:
Breathe
Distinguish the mundane activities of putting the props in place from the actions you use to effect the magic.
If you use a camera, talk to a person near but not behind the lens.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Smoothness. (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL