The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Is this forum just to create an audience to sell to? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I admit that most of the advertisements that come in my pm box don't thrill me much. I do keep wishing that something would capture my attention so that I can not only help myself with the product but also help the site through whatever advertising monies come in. This brings me to the latest offering. Steve arranged for us to have a free weekend at www.ReelMagicMagazine.com I can remember when you could buy DVDs of the video magazine and really wished they would have an online site. So after about 24 hours I've been able to catch up on some of the issues and have viewed many of the On Demand Plus items and like what I've seen so far. So not to sound to gushy thank you Steve for this and keep the ads coming. It came across to me like an early Christmas present.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I would rather a few pm ads than paying for a site. Not that big of deal considering the vast amount of information available on this site. You won't find another forum with that much information free or now. Also you don't have to read them and eventually they will be deleted automatically. It is not like you are getting 50 a day or something like that so it is not that bad.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
It always amazes me with new members here only days or weeks that start to complain about the PMs and advertisements.

That is because they have not been here long enough to see and appreciate the vast amount of information. All they focus on is ads not the huge amount of free information available. The longer you have been here the less you care about a few pm ads. I would rather those than those awful pop-up ones or YouTube video ads. At least on here you can choose to look at them or not, and they are at least magic related.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree with Sir Brad, and Mind Pro!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2017, Tap Roniart wrote:

I've asked to be taken off the SPAM list, but that hasn't stopped the wash of adds directed at me in PMs.

This comes across to me like you don't want to receive the messages, and therefore were complaining about them.

As others have said, the site is a free resource and one of the best places on the Internet for magicians. I have made friends, received a ton of advice and even met the person that sponsored my Magic Castle membership on this site. All of that has cost me nothing, and the rewards have been numerous.

If you don't like the ads, ignore them.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
D_avid
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of D_avid
I am surprised there haven't been surveys around to see what ads people want to in their inbox. To me the ads in the PM box are Spam, defined as irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the internet to a large number of recipients. Yes, I accept and understood that as one of the conditions. While we all have different tastes, I just wonder if there are trends lurking in the shadows just waiting to be capitalized on. More ads that generate purchases is a win-win for the Café and its sponsors.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have never understood this mentality of disliking or having a problem with the ads. The ads are what keeps this place a free community for everyone. You don't have to click on them, open them or even delete them. No one is forcing anyone to read them at all. When realizing the benefits and free access this place offers, it is a small concession or consideration for such privilege.

What people want would be quite subjective anyways so why not just accept that the ads are from those that understand the value of the Café enough to invest in advertising in this resource? I just look at it as 98% of the ads are of no interest to me, as many are card related, but again that is subjective as I said. I don't understand why some feel this is an intrusion or imposition for what you receive in return?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I never understand why some members feel they are deluged with ads from the Café. At most there is one per day and some days there are none. As Mindpro said, you don't have to read them, open them or delete them. They go away automatically. They always come from Steve Brooks so it's easy to sort them out from other PM's you may receive and you just have to scroll to the bottom of the pm and you can delete them.

It's one click to go to pm's, one click to open it and one click to delete it. Must take all of about 5 seconds, longer than it takes to write a message complaining about them.
Where the magic begins
D_avid
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of D_avid
Wait, just so we are clear, I'm not complaining. I do read them and if I find one that suits me, I do click the link. What I am saying if I wish there was a way to get more of the ads that suit me in my inbox. Probably just too big of a project.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
David, I was just speaking in general terms, not aimed at anyone in particular. Several of the members in this thread are complaining and it comes up over and over and over again
Where the magic begins
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Dave Scribner wrote:
They always come from Steve Brooks so it's easy to sort them out from other PM's you may receive....

Exactly. Anyone who has spent a few hours here should understand the way the place works. It's like going to a restaurant and complaining about the way the servers are dressed: maybe you expected something else, but maybe you'll get some of the best food you've ever had in your life. Just wait, slow down, get to know the place, and don't complain until you know how the place works.

Dave, I've got a few complaints (and you surely have a few complaints about me) Smile , but the ads? It's a silly thing to complain about.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Stone, how could I possibly have any complaints about you? Smile
Where the magic begins
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I spend wayyyy too much time here, and love every minute of it. Mr. Brooks and his team give us an amazingly generous resource and I am appreciative beyond words. I couldn't care less if he wants to post ads to my PM inbox, especially since a lot of them are for new deck designs which I happen to like. I also try to donate a little bit every year just as a nominal gesture of appreciation.

I also am a big buyer and seller in the "Let's Make a Magic Deal" section. If Mr. Brooks wanted to, he could take a small commission on every sale just like an auction house. He does not. I find that admirable.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Wizard of Oz, does spending so much time reading the famous "Green Monster" cause the condition your avatar seems to show? Smile
(I ask cause I feel a little green myself at times but not enough to listen to Kermit the Frog songs)

Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well, it was supposed to pay homage to the Wizard of Oz, but I like your theory better.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
The ads here are very minimal compared to other sites, and sites that are much worse with pop-up ads that slow your PC to a crawl like Photobucket. Those type of sites do that on purpose to get you to pay for a "no-ads service" of course. But here all you get is a PM that you do not even have to read to use the site. So I would much rather have that than pop-up ads or paying a fee. So they don't really bother me on here considering how much useful content is on this site, and how long I have been reading and contributing to it. (over 14 years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Is this forum just to create an audience to sell to? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL