The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New to magic - some questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

talweiss
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of talweiss
Hey there,
I'm very new to magic, still working on the basics like pinky break and various shuffles.
to be fair I'm quite terrible at the moment, and all the cards I do right now are pretty basic and don't require slight of hands (binary code 1&2 for example)

I was wondering if you could help me with 2 things - I'm looking for a trick which is simmilar to 'The Same Card' by Dani DaOrtiz, but perheps easier for someone at my level,
also (and this might be a bit far fetched) while not great at cards I am a pianist and I was wondering if maybe there's a card trick that happans while playing the piano? did any magician try something like that before?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the horrible newbie questions
Tal.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Let me throw an idea out an idea on the second question. It would be an easy matter to tie the piano into a trick like this:

Say you experience this weird phenomena when you play the piano. It seems the piano has supernatural powers. You suggest a demonstration.

Shuffle a deck....have them cut to a card, and lay it unseen face down on the table - "Be sure that you don't let anyone or the piano see it!".

Now you ask the piano if it is getting anything. You start sort of rambling tune on the keyboard, not playing anything in particular and as you do, what you are playing resolves itself into "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles.

You announce, "I think that means the card was a Jack...Hmmmm...maybe she is on a role - maybe even a rock and role. What else are you getting?". As you continue to play the tune your playing slowly resolves into the Beatles, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds".

"Ok, well, she seems to think the card you picked is the Jack of Diamonds. Let's see how she did..." The card is turned over and, of course it is the Jack of Diamonds.

That's just a thought I had reading your post. Depending on the procedure you use, it only needs two slights or no slights to pull off and the cards that you can use are limited only by how many appropriate song titles you can come up with.

If you need help from there, feel free to PM me.
talweiss
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of talweiss
This is a great idea!! I always thought I'd place the cards on the keys or something but this is wayyyy better, thanks!
could you recommend an easy force I could use to make sure they select the card I want?
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
33 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
As a new kid myself I like a slip force which needs a little bit of setting up but if you have a classy reveal the easy force is hidden. I use the slip force then pretent I can work out someone's card with a bogus display of reading body language which is fun
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

As I was writing the original post, I was thinking the cross cut force...simple, full proof. You can also use a one, two or three-way forcing deck to make it simple and allow for repeats.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
I like this idea, Dave!

For a more abstract or hypnosis style effect, or as a follow up to the trick above, you could have a non-musician thinking of a card (or any other info), and ask them to just plunk around on the piano. Then you listen and wait for a few notes you can reasonably attribute to a famous tune, and take it from there. It's the same trick as above, but you end up saying something like "Hey! Did everybody hear that? I know you're just tickling the keys for fun, but when you were mushing those low keys like 'Dum-Dum-Dum', it sounded like you were playing 'Another One Bites the Dust". Was your card a Queen? It was! How remarkable! By the way, do you even know that song? You might be too young... You do! Well, it's amazing what can bubble out of our subconscious when music is involved." Of course you could use any Queen song that surfaced out of their random plunking, or any song with 'queen' in the title, or song with 'heart' in the title, or any song *by* Heart.

It's the kind of thing that will be a bigger hit sometimes than others. With practice I'm sure you could almost always end it somewhat reasonably. You might have to resort to something like saying it sounded like Frank Sinatra's New York (Start spreading the news...), and then say "When a lot of people think of NY, they think of the heart, as in I [Heart] NY..." It would be a fun challenge. I might drop this into a late night show somewhere soon and see what happens.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
talweiss
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of talweiss
Wow guys, really thank you for the ideas!
should I use different force techniques every time? or is it a more powerfull effect if I give the spectator the same treatment of choosing a card, when the outcome is a different card?
talweiss
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of talweiss
And about my first question - could anyone recommend a good trick for beginners with the effect where 3 different spectators choose a card, and then all at the same time they say the card they choose from the deck and it appears to be the same card? I saw Dani Daortiz has a magic like that but I understand that the method for it is a little out of my league at the moment, I was wondering if there's a similar effect which is easier to create
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Nice idea, CR. I wonder if they would combine well or better to pick one and do it stand alone? I'd have to think that through a bit.

As I read the above posts over again, I think we are straying a bit too far into methods for the open forums. Actually, the best place for this ongoing discussion is the "Secret Sessions" section. You have to have fifty posts under your belt to enter, so you have a ways to go but if you PM me I'll answer your last question with a simple method.

By the way, as research fodder, some other effects that would play (see what I did there?) nicely would be a presentation of a Delano deck, or similar...or a haunted pack with scary music for the sound track.
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
Ha! Another fine idea! You're on a roll!

How about a deck that responds to different music. Play spooky music and somethings spooky happens, butplay circus music and the aces start doing flips out of the deck. Play jazz and it starts smoking. Play rock and roll and the deck bursts into flames, etc.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
Signet
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Signet
Glad to hear your in your magical journey. I will be filled with wonder and amazement. I heard that Michael Close was a pianist. He's a really great card magician and one of the judges on Penn and Teller Fool Us.
A good thing to start with while you're learning cards might be a Phoenix deck. It's very easy to use. If you have a spectator pick a card
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2332 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
When I was very young, the pianist Alexander Hellmann, who was a friend of my father, showed me a "magic piano trick" on my father's old Steinway. Not being a magician, he then showed me how it was done. This can only be done on a "real" piano. He would press the keys to play a chord, but slowly so that not a sound was heard. Then he closed the lid, and waved mysteriously at the piano, which played a ghostly chord apparently all by itself. You may know the trick, and if so, you could have someone choose a card, shuffle it back into the deck, and then have them begin to deal the cards face-down onto the closed lid of the piano. Suddenly, just after one of the cards is dealt face down, the chord is heard. The card is turned over and it is the selected card discovered by the "ghost in the piano."
Jim Gerrish

http://www.wizkidzinc.com

http://www.magicnook.com

Home of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New to magic - some questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL