The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hand Moisturizer (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kShepher
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
39 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Does anybody have a recommendation for a hand moisturizer, preferably something in the store. I'm using a Vaseline spray and, at least for me, it's awful. I'm sure I am not the only one who has a tough time during winter. Thanks in advance.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2006 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You'll find a fairly detailed discussion of this issue here.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Boomer
View Profile
Veteran user
San Ramon, CA
394 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VJITEE/
(Chamberlains After Bath Splash - aka Golden Touch Lotion.)

If you read the comments, somebody specifically mentions magic.

Dave
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3820 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, Boomer wrote:
Https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VJITEE/
(Chamberlains After Bath Splash - aka Golden Touch Lotion.)

If you read the comments, somebody specifically mentions magic.

Dave

https://www.goodnutrient.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
A much better price if you buy 3 right now. I order from these folks often. I have never used the "After Bath Splash" but the ingredients are the same as the "Golden Touch Lotion" that I get. I usually order 'either' a 3 pack or a single 2oz sprayer for something to carry with me all the time. I get a 3 pack of the 8.75oz to use at home (almost daily) and a 3 pack of the 16oz pour bottles (to refill the sprayers).

Many old timers did not like the smell of the original "Orange Blossom" scent but I do not find it bad at all and it certainly doesn't smell for long. I really like the "New Scent - Lavender Vanilla" but it also goes away quickly so I wouldn't worry at all about the scent you get. I have always ordered the new scent but for some reason my last order all came as the original scent. I double checked my order and packing and I had the right stock numbers for the new scent but since I don't really mind either, I just accepted it and went on. If the scent is important to you, you may want to leave a comment or forward an email after your order explaining you do absolutely want "X Scent". I have tried calling in orders in the past but always get a machine and no call back but the orders always come thru. That last order where I got the wrong scent was the only mistake in several orders over the years.

Do read the essay that ddyment linked. It is very informative and helped me understand a lot about the subject (also see his essays on memdeck and stacks) good stuff and free to boot. Smile

I use this product before every performance that I will be using cards during. It helped my One Handed Top Palm (Glenn Morphew's method) by 100%+. Glenn recommends "O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream". Although it isn't the right product for me when it comes to the OHTP, several others swear by it. Also, even though I do not use it for my OHTP, or right before a gig, I do use it every day, twice a day for general skin conditioning. It is really great stuff. I get the big jar at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/O-Keeffe-s-Wo......ezAHNjMU

I also use the cream in a tube (and the lip balm) in a special package (I get mine at Rural King)
http://www.lifeandhome.com/o-keeffe-s-k0......alm.html and sometimes I get this other package
https://www.homedepot.com/p/O-Keeffe-s-W......03227931

Two great products, the O'Keeffes and the Chamberlains, that do two "seemingly" different things for me but work AMAZINGLY together.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
701 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula and O'Keefe's Working Hands can be found at CVS/Walgreens. I've never used Golden Touch, so I can't vouch for it, but I know it's preferred by many great magicians.

Neutrogena is fairly tacky but not greasy and won't soil your cards. Palms, side steals, Erdnase changes, second deals, and similar moves that are difficult with dry hands are so much easier after a dab of this stuff. A little bit goes a long way, and I suggest the unscented version.

The late Tom Mullica was a fan of O'Keefes. If memory serves me, Vernon used Golden Touch. Gregory Wilson suggested Neutrogena and Golden Touch in a lecture years ago.
NWJay
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of NWJay
Another shout-out for O’Keeffe’s, I find a few tiny dabs and you’re off and running.
kShepher
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
39 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I KNEW I came to the right spot for this. Exactly what I needed. Thanks everybody.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2548 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Glen Morphew also swears by O 'Keeff's and I took his advice. Can be found everywhere. Walmart, Bed Bath Beyond, Home Depot, Tractor Sales etc. etc.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
kShepher
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
39 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I bought the O'Keeffe's at Walgreens for $7.50. Just what the doctor ordered. I would have never know about that if not for this amazing forum.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2006 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Hand chemistries differ. Dramatically.

Never assume that because something works best for others (and may even work reasonably well for you), it will be the best solution for you.

Try different products to arrive at your own optimal results.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2083 Posts

Profile of warren
O'keefes didn't do anything for me personally, I think as the article ddyment posted a link for says everyone is different.
Mano
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, kShepher wrote:
Does anybody have a recommendation for a hand moisturizer, preferably something in the store. I'm using a Vaseline spray and, at least for me, it's awful. I'm sure I am not the only one who has a tough time during winter. Thanks in advance.

I have tried them all and nothing be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V7......F8&psc=1

Happy Holidays everyone.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2279 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Just curious, are you guys using this to condition your hands when not performing or are you putting the product on right before performing? Thanks.

-Paul
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
I use it on my hands regularly, and usually about 30 minutes before a performance. When I do gambling demonstrations or serious coin work I will sometimes put it on in front of the audience, more as a theatrical move than a practical one. Hunting for the right one is a constant for me. For the last few years I had great success using Marlowe's No. 23. It's a cream consistency, absorbs well, and leaves my hands softer without any noticable tackiness or slipping. If tackiness is your goal, this isn't the stuff for you. It's just a great hand and nail conditioner that doesn't get in the way of your work. I can usually pick up at Target and most large drugstores, but it's getting harder to find.

Have not used O'Keefe's but I'll definitely give it a try.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2279 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
My hands are dry and have no friction so I put on Corn Husker's Lotion before performing. https://www.amazon.com/Corn-Huskers-Hand......reatment

On top of the Corn Husker's I rub some Quick Sort pink stuff bankers use to sort money with. It helps me get the grip I need to do certain card moves.
Mano
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2017, Mano wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2017, kShepher wrote:

I have tried them all and nothing be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V7......F8&psc=1

Happy Holidays everyone.

Nothing beat Smile this one. This stuff is amazing and natural. It works really fast for dry hands, just put a bit on before bed and wear cotton gloves and one starts seeing result the next day.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3820 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2017, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Just curious, are you guys using this to condition your hands when not performing or are you putting the product on right before performing? Thanks.

-Paul

Great Question. Everyone should maybe specify at one point or another in their answers. This topic comes up at least 4 times a year (I would guess) and the same answers flow freely without that little tidbit of info. First off, I recommend reading the essay ddyment links in the first reply. It truly is a good essay and explains a lot that one may not realize. Then come all the heavy hitters:
Chamberlain's Golden Touch
O'Keeffe's Working Hands
Corn Huskers Lotion
Quick Sort
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula
Different DIY combos (usually with Glycerin)
Even remember someone once suggesting a female hygiene product

All work differently on different people and mixing and matching may be your overall long term solution.

As for your specific question. I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands every morning when I get up and every evening before bed. It actually "hurts" my card magic to use this just before but it really has helped my general skin condition overall since I started using it a couple years ago. My wife noticed a big difference from my old "truck driver" hands to now and she started using it herself a year ago.

Just before I perform, I use a few sprays of the Golden Touch and rub it in well. This really helps my card handling (especially things like a OHTP). However, it hurts my hands where coin palming is involved. For Me... It helps stick to the cards I need to stick to but makes my palms slippery where coins come in. The O'Keeffe's kills me for both if applied right before.

What I do usually is get the card stuff out of the way that I "need" the lotion for then I keep a little violin resin powder (I make myself with a mortar and pestal) handy to put a pinch on my palms and rub them together. As soon as I do, I have amazing spider grip where coins are concerned (it also doesn't hurt my card work, it just doesn't help it). I also used to use liquid chalk (for weightlifters or mountain climbers) to better grip coins. Squeeze on a little, rub it in, when it turns white just rub off the white with a damp rag (or a baby wipe).

That is a "General" idea of what works (and doesn't work) for me and it isn't a steadfast rule of my performing, just an "in general" idea of different products I use for different reasons. I am certain everyone is going to differ in what works and when it works for them.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Another vote for O'Keefe's Working Hands Cream. I apply it a few minutes before handling the cards. Provides a nice waxy, non-greasy feel.
docguitarman
View Profile
New user
Thousand Oaks, California
71 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Glad I found this topic (s) !

Learning some new advanced sleights and notice suddenly I couldn't perform then consistently... I chalked it up to learning... and was getting really frustrated. Turns out I had unusually dry hands ! I'm not a youngster anymore. The wake up was when I noticed I couldn't do my old elementary sleights (gl*des etc.) . I guess I was a little dull to realize it !

Just bought some TJs ultra moisturizing hand cream before practicing. Made a big difference. Don't know at the moment if it is the cat's meow in hand cream or the one for me in the long run:)

My answer is I use it to handle the cards !

Thanks to all for the info.
kShepher
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
39 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I just watched the Giobbi lecture #2 from Penguin. He uses the bank teller stuff....SortKwk. Avoids the whole palm soaking wet thing.

Since I started this....I acknowledge I am sort-of changing the subject.

Moisturizer and card handling are two different things. I have OctoPalm. Not a fan.

I will try SortKwk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Hand Moisturizer (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL