The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Old Style cups and balls (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mago verza
View Profile
Regular user
kanagawa - japan
103 Posts

Profile of mago verza
Hello to every body, I am looking for a particular type of cups for my cups and balls routine, I want the cups that were used many years ago in Europe like this:
http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/images/frenchtin4.jpg
I am not a collector so also drinking cups or similar cups even in plastic are ok (even if I prefer in metal), I live in Japan and I searched all the shops but they don't have nothing similar to that.
I have the tenyo plastic cups that looks similar but are too small, I want the regular size and that shape, anybody can give me an advise to where I can find something similar?

Thank you
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
There is a guy selling some Johnny Paul cups in the items for sale area, they have the same look.
For new check out RNT2 as they have a couple of versions. For a cup that looks old there were postings about a guy that worked with tin and made old style looking cups. I think you have to contact him
about the cups used for magic. https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheVillageTinner
mago verza
View Profile
Regular user
kanagawa - japan
103 Posts

Profile of mago verza
About the old look is not so important, is the shape that I care a lot, the Johnny Paul are quite close to the cups I am looking for is only the part around the mouth that is not exactly how I was looking for, I would like to post in the right forum. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer even if I am in the wrong place.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Hi Mago Verza,

I second Tom G's recommendation for the Village Tinner. He makes cups that are exactly the shape you need.

This link will show you a set of his cups sold last year:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/468925214/c......detail=1

I bought a set for my collection although I have never used them in performance.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Bill and I worked extensively with The Village Tinner to get the details just right on his cups. you will not be disappointed.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I bought a set of cups from Village Tinner. They are excellent work and at a better price than I expected. He offered me bright tinplate, darkened (“antique”) finish, or solid copper. So he was willing to do different options when I bought my cups a few years back.

Patrick
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Is he still making cups? I emailed a couple of time but never heard from him.

Jake Jr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I really don't know, Jake. I hope so. It would be a shame if such cups were not available.

-Patrick
trickbooks
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of trickbooks
I just received my set from the Village Tinner via Etsy. They are everything mentioned here . . . and more. Just beautiful. They are larger, more generous and heavier than I expected. Thanks to those of you who contributed ideas to their creation. And for those of you who don’t have a set, consider these. They are a fraction of the price of some of the high-priced sets on the market, and in my view, more interesting. Built on century-old hardware, by hand, they precisely mirror the kind of cups described in classic magic books, like Professor Hoffmann’s Modern Magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's the thing about the Village Tinner cups. They are safe to use. This may appear to be a somewhat foolish or simplistic statement, but Those old magic set cups from France had sharp edges on top. The ones from Village Tinner do not. He came up with two different ways of making them safe. Either one is viable.

Lint was the fellow who got me in touch with him.

I sent the tinner a French magic set cup to use as a model. He made them bigger and safer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Davy Bones
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Davy Bones
If any one is looking for a nice set of Village Tinner classic style cups, I just listed a like new set on eBay. Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Old Style cups and balls (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL