The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Crap I Think About (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you very much for the kind review, Shaukat. I appreciate your thoughts very much. I can't tell you what a wonderful experience it is to find out that a book connects with a reader! Seriously -- that's what it's about. Books -- and their uncanny ability to do just that -- have a strange kind of magic of their own.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I haven't quite finished it as I have super busy, but I absolutely love everything I've read. The writing style is engaging and so funny, both thoughtful and thought provoking, and just generally entertaining to read.

I love the fiction. I would love to read a whole book about any of his characters.

I'm not sure if he's still considering cutting stuff out, but I say DON'T DO IT! It's all great. Nothing is superfluous (Well there are perhaps a few superfluous ellipses but that's his prerogative Smile. That'd be a good name for a band actually - superfluous ellipses).

Love.It.

Thanks for writing and sharing David!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I finished the book last night. I feel everything is of value in the book. In the stories he still manages to sprinkle in some good advice. I enjoy his writing style a lot and I appreciate his conversational style of writing. I recommend this book but I feel like a newbie to mentalism may not "get it" but trust this, there IS a lot "to get".

Nathan
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

"Crap I Think About" is for sale at an introductory price until Friday. You can find it at at the Magic Pendulum site...the link is in my signature.

Hope you enjoy it, world...

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
128 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
David,

Quick question. The book's subtitle is "Ocean Waves edition." Does that mean it's an edited edition, as has been discussed here, or the original as outlined in your original post in this thread?

As a hobbyist I already have way more tricks and routines than I will ever use, but stories, both real and fiction, interest me.

Bill
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
No...I decided against cutting the book down. It’s the full edition. I changed the write up on what the book was about so people would not think it was loaded with routines. Because...well...it’s not. Smile

David

sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I haven't finished the book yet.
The book is writed in unique style with lots of Thiel's personal story which is intresting to read.
The chapter I like most so far is the pendulum one,inspired me to come up with new presentation.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, sychou! It's good to know you're enjoying the book.

CITA is being offered at its sale price until Saturday.

Thank you to all who have purchased this crap. I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

David

Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
I've just finished the book (for the first time) and found it to be a real gem.

Disclaimer (I know, mentalists don't need to provide a disclaimer, but this posting isn't theater): I consider myself a friend of David. We've had a wonderful time breaking bread together at MINDvention, and exchanging ideas on forums and PMs. These comments aren't because of that friendship, but to give you a good understanding of the contents of this material.

David shares his experiences (okay - maybe as a movie production company would share a 'real story', but with a lot of truth in it nonetheless).
The common advice from professional mentalists is to have clear answers to questions about your character, why you do what you do, and why the audience should care. But rarely do you get concrete examples of how someone has taken that journey to arrive at where they are at, and answered those questions for themselves (fiction aside, e.g., Nightmare Alley). David does that.

These stories are both poignant, and even emotional at times, but provide real insight on how to approach your mentalism.

What you won't find are several 'tricks' described - they are very few indeed. But I bet you already have far more than you will ever be able to use; and what you find in David's book of Crap will be far more valuable. I plan to study it more to help internalize what I do, and elevate the experience with my participants.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I was fortunate to read CITA when David was first sending it out for feedback. When he was considering altering the format, I strongly encouraged him to keep the book as is.

I wrote in part, “From my perspective, this is about your voice. And being true to yourself. I believe that you have a distinctive voice and you should allow it all the room it needs to say what it has to say. CITA is full of priceless information that can only be shared by someone with your level of experience and very particular skill set. That some of this information is shared and/or reinforced via the narrative sections is a strength.”

I enjoyed the mix of styles and themes in CITA. This is a highly personal book and I think it is the sum total that best conveys David's perspective and experience as a mentalist.

In writing CITA, he has provided us with a road map of HOW to think deeply about mentalism. Via his openness and vulnerability on the page, along with his skill as a writer, David has created a work that I think will be long valued by performers.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
This was a fantastic read. Wonderful stories (fiction and non-fiction), hard-earned advice, and a few great presentations.
I'd love to see more books like this.
Highly recommended for anyone who loves mentalism.

Woodfield
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
When I was lecturing about marketing mentalism at MindVention, another mentalist told me that I was doomed...because most people who attend conventions do not care about marketing and were only interested in more TRICKS. We are ALL interested in learning new effects, of course. But I went ahead and shared the lecture to a packed room. It turns out people DO care about things other than the latest greatest.

I am not saying this as a way of patting myself on the back. On the contrary. It is a pat on the back to the whole community. Their interests are much broader than they get credit for. This is the book I was most nervous about releasing...and it has drawn more personal responses than anything else I have done.

This is what Jheff said in his Marketplace of the Mind review:

JHEFF’S GUIDE**

WHAT IT IS:
PDF, 171 pages

HOW ACCURATE OR COMPLETE THE BLURB IS:
Accurate or nearly accurate and complete. The complete list of the titles of the essays is not included, but you don't really need that. It's actually best to be surprised at the topics he covers.

WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED THAT YOU NEED OR NEED TO KNOW:
This is an invaluable book of advice in regards to stagecraft and business. If you're looking for new material to perform, you won't find it here.

JHEFF’S JUDGMENT:
This highly recommended book of twenty-seven essays is brilliantly humble, insightful, and honest. It's just like sitting down with an old friend who's sharing war stories that you can either learn from or commisserate with. Either way, reading these essays is time well spent.

**MY COMMENTS**
One can never have enough wisdom from those in the trenches, so to speak. It will either enlighten you so that it will save you from making mistakes, be there as an "I told you so" when you do, or validate your own wisdom if it's similar. No matter what, books like this are a fascinating read, especially if the advice is humble, insightful, and honest. And that is rare in a book of this type.

Happily, I can report that David Thiel's book is indeed brilliantly humble, insightful, and honest. The twenty-seven essays contained within run the gamut of topics, but it's not encyclopedia, nor is it intended to be. It's just like sitting down with an old friend who's sharing war stories that you can either learn from or commisserate with. Either way, reading these essays is time well spent. This is definitely an e-book that is highly recommended for mentalists of all levels.

Thank you to Jheff and everyone who has shown an interest in the Crap I Think About. I appreciate it very much.

David

Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
191 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Love the title!
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
And this book made it on Jheff's Top 10 Mentalism products of 2017!

Congratulations!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
That’s great news! Thanks for letting me know, Larry.

David

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
First I have to say thank you to David for sharing this work with me. He dosen't know me from Adam but thinks me worthy of viewing the tome gratis and I truly am grateful. Personal problems has made it impossible for me to spend money on magic right now and being given this work just shows the generosity and caring of David.

I've only just begun to read this and within but the first 16 pages have found no less than three nuggets of gold worth considering. If the rest of this book follows suit it will go into my electronic library as a go to resource for years to come.

I'll be back with more after reading more but I don't want to rush it as there is so much to digest within almost every word. Thank you again David Smile When the circumstances of my life change I hope I can do something nice for you? God Speed
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Crap I Think About (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL