The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Diagonal Palm Shift used in actual performance (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jaschris
The Diagonal Palm Shift is one of those moves I have practiced a lot but never actually used in a trick. Recently, I realized it could be an effective tool in a card effect I am tinkering with. But I have been pondering how to misdirect while I do the move. This got me thinking. As much as I hear about the Diagonal Palm Shift among magicians I don't know that I have ever seen it used in performance. Yet, I have many magic DVDs. What are some video sources where the move is performed as part of a card effect?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
702 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Not much help with sources for being used in performance, but as far as misdirection goes, focus should be drawn to your face (or elsewhere) as you complete the squaring of the card into the deck. I usually follow it by handing the deck out to shuffle. The left hand can square the sides of the deck and still keep the card well hidden if you don't hand the deck out. Practice in front of a mirror to see what angle works, but I've found a slight turn to the left with the deck perpendicular to the floor has worked best for me.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1428 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, jaschris wrote:
The Diagonal Palm Shift is one of those moves I have practiced a lot but never actually used in a trick.


Ha, you're not alone. It's one of the most useless moves out there. Good luck making it work.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
chappy
View Profile
Special user
667 Posts

Profile of chappy
Take a look a Steve Ehlers recent Castle performance for what I consider to be the perfect application, execution and motivation for the move.
Best,
Greg
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Regular user
UK
133 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, ThomasJ wrote:
I've found a slight turn to the left with the deck perpendicular to the floor has worked best for me.


Interesting....when you say "perpendicular" do you literally mean at right angles to the floor i.e. vertical? If so do you execute the whole move in that plane.....If you transition from horizontal to vertical at what point do you do that?
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Michael Vincent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SggtD3MyQgI

the first effect.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
633 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, Cain wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, jaschris wrote:
The Diagonal Palm Shift is one of those moves I have practiced a lot but never actually used in a trick.


Ha, you're not alone. It's one of the most useless moves out there. Good luck making it work.


Care to explain?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2909 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
702 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, ChrisPayne wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, ThomasJ wrote:
I've found a slight turn to the left with the deck perpendicular to the floor has worked best for me.


Interesting....when you say "perpendicular" do you literally mean at right angles to the floor i.e. vertical? If so do you execute the whole move in that plane.....If you transition from horizontal to vertical at what point do you do that?


Definitely meant parallel. My apologies. Perpendicular would be more of a teaching lesson, haha.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1253 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
David Williamson uses it on his Magic Farm video, as well in his Penguin Live lecture.

A wonderful direct move
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1253 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, SimonCard wrote:
Michael Vincent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SggtD3MyQgI

the first effect.

Just perfect
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1253 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, chappy wrote:
Take a look a Steve Ehlers recent Castle performance for what I consider to be the perfect application, execution and motivation for the move.
Best,
Greg


I totally agree. Link is here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYRK9jwqcI
camron
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of camron
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, Pop Haydn wrote:




Amazing as always Pop.... keep up the good work lol
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3824 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I personally think there is/are effects out there for every sleight. Certain sleights, like the DPS though, make me wonder if it is really worth putting in all the time and practice to make it perfect when there are simpler moves that can achieve basically the same thing. I certainly don't knock those who take the time and do it very well. I have even put some serious time in over the years trying to get it myself but then, like the OP, question what I even need it for (other than impressing other magicians who can appreciate the fact I can do it well).

Just my two cents on the subject. I like watching someone do it well (when sessioning with others) but I don't think I will ever get it down at this point and am not worried as I do other sleights very well that can be used in several effects. Kind of like a "Pass" vs a "Double Undercut". They both get you to the same place and both can be done very well or very poorly. Smile
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story



Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Thanks for the responses, and especially the link to Steve Ehler's performance. I have had Williamson's Magic Farm DVD for years. I guess I will need to revisit it.
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Oh, and thanks to SimonCard for the Michael Vincent link. Superb!
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1428 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, Cain wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, jaschris wrote:
The Diagonal Palm Shift is one of those moves I have practiced a lot but never actually used in a trick.


Ha, you're not alone. It's one of the most useless moves out there. Good luck making it work.


Care to explain?


It might be more helpful if people posted the minute marks for the demonstration videos. I only watched Vincent's because someone mentioned it makes an appearance in the first trick (more specifically, just after 1:50). For the case against the DPS, I'll label that Exhibit A.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
633 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2017, Cain wrote:
For the case against the DPS, I'll label that Exhibit A.


I can show you dozens of videos of magicians doing Topping the Deck poorly. But that wouldn't be an argument for it being a useless move.
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
276 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
Jascris,
I use it all the time. If you watch my performance at the Castle you will see I do the move after the audience thinks I am finished with a trick. I just produced the card from my right pocket. I place it back into the deck, doing the Diagonal Palm Shift, as I ask the person, "You didn't know I was going to do that, did you?" When they reply, I say I'll do it again. They now see my empty right hand moving to my pocket. I stop and say, "Sorry, I forgot. The first time it goes here (pointing to my left pocket) but the next time it goes here." I reach in and take it out of my right pocket. There is no heat when you do the move at all.

The move is like any other move and needs to be used in the appropriate context. Next time you do a trick where you reveal the card, act like the trick is over and put the card into the deck and perform The DPS. Now you can make it vanish and appear in you pocket, wallet, shoe, etc.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2909 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, Cain wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, Cain wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, jaschris wrote:
The Diagonal Palm Shift is one of those moves I have practiced a lot but never actually used in a trick.


Ha, you're not alone. It's one of the most useless moves out there. Good luck making it work.


Care to explain?


It might be more helpful if people posted the minute marks for the demonstration videos. I only watched Vincent's because someone mentioned it makes an appearance in the first trick (more specifically, just after 1:50). For the case against the DPS, I'll label that Exhibit A.


Diagonal Palm Steal is at 1:05 in my video.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Diagonal Palm Shift used in actual performance (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL