The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I have a dilemma ...please help (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of magikcid
I am trying to be good with my spending. I’ve been trying to limit what I buy but I also have two very expensive hobbies. Guitar and magic. Ughhh

Anyhow the dilemma is what to buy myself for Christmas and as these things always happen, two books I really want are coming out around the same time.

A Secret Has Two Faces by Derek Del Gaudio and Glenn Kaino

And Repertoire by Asi Wind

So if you guys had to choose one...which would you get.

PS, I’m afraid to check out the rest of the Café because I’m sure there are a couple of more books that I want in my collection 😩
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Asi Wind.
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
What are you looking for? If you want a deeper understanding of performance art then go with Derek's. If you want actual tricks to learn and perform, then go with Asi's
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Stay away from any of my books - much too expensive!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
A secret has two faces doesn't seem a effect-orientated book according to the introduction on the website. Can someone provide a review of the book?
I heard many good things about Asi's work.
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of magikcid
Harry I have pretty much all your books in the original form and a few of the new released in bounded editions, and worth every penny.

It’s true, the DelGaudio/Kaino Book seems to be an over philosophical book(which is not bad at all), Asi’s work seems to have great points that elevate magic as well. I don’t think I could go wrong with either. Does anyone know if either is limited in its run?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good; glad to hear it. But - so long as you're thinking about which books you don't have to spend your money on --- do you have SPECIAL EFFECTS, ONLY MY APOCALYPSE, JAW DROPPERS TWO? (Too late for JAW DROPPERS ONE - sold out some time ago.) You may just find a wealth of impromptu card magic in the books I've just mentioned - all heading toward "sold out" - don't miss out!

Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Websites for the two books:

https://www.artofmagic.com/products/a-secret-has-two-faces

https://www.asiwindstore.com/about

The Asi Wind book isn't being released until Spring 2018. Maybe you could buy DelGaudio now and save up again in time for Asi?

(Also note that there is a long history of disappointment and anguish when magicians take pre-orders long before their books are physically at the printer. Search the Café for details on Mark Elsdon, Dale Hildebrandt, Bob Cassidy, Rudy Coby, Stephen Youell, Todd Karr (nearly 10 years!) and many more...)
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Harry, hilarious. Apocalypse could keep someone busy for a lifetime. And not mediocre stuff. I made a lot of money with the stuff in there. Thank you.
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of magikcid
Thank for the heads up Tim. I guess I would lean towards Derek’s book if I want something to open for the holidays. And regardless, I don’t think you would go wrong with either, but there may be a tad bit of truth with pre- orders, and I am assuming it’s because hype before something comes out as opposed to after are two totally different worlds🤔
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2017, magikcid wrote:
Thank for the heads up Tim. I guess I would lean towards Derek’s book if I want something to open for the holidays. And regardless, I don’t think you would go wrong with either, but there may be a tad bit of truth with pre- orders, and I am assuming it’s because hype before something comes out as opposed to after are two totally different worlds🤔

The problem with pre-orders is that each of those authors took pre-order money and their customers waited YEARS after that for the product to even be produced, IF it was produced at all. Bob Cassidy died before producing two manuscripts I paid for, and other buyers have waited years (and are STILL waiting) for some of those other authors to produce their long-since-paid-for goods.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I never did understand that "pre-order" concept. I've been "doing" books for over four decades and never, ever, asked people to pre-order. Many do when they find out that I'm doing a specific book - but that's their choice.

jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
Hope you didn't expect A Secret Has Two Faces before Christmas, It's been delayed at least twice now. Originally slated for mid December release,the website was then changed to a mid January release with no notice to people that already ordered, then delayed until late January at the earliest, and now according to the website, delayed until mid March. I hope you went with the Asi book if you wanted it on time.

I'm pretty frustrated with the whole situation, they sent one update on Jan 5th with a 15% off apology coupon for a new order. I'd expect to be kept in the loop once I've ordered. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that preordered when the ship date was mid December expecting to get it for Christmas.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Amazon is selling the DelGaudio book for forty bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3791355643
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
How is it possible to sell the book ? It’s not available anywhere and still in a pre order status.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
How is it possible to sell the book ? It’s not available anywhere and still in a pre order status.

Per Amazon's tracking, mine supposedly shipped today and is scheduled to arrive on Sunday...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2017, magikcid wrote:
Harry I have pretty much all your books in the original form and a few of the new released in bounded editions, and worth every penny.

It’s true, the DelGaudio/Kaino Book seems to be an over philosophical book(which is not bad at all), Asi’s work seems to have great points that elevate magic as well. I don’t think I could go wrong with either. Does anyone know if either is limited in its run?

Just curious, what is "original form" and "bound editions"?
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2017, magikcid wrote:

Just curious, what is "original form" and "bound editions"?

Presumably he's talking about the original separate books and the Classic Collections.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
How is it possible to sell the [A. Bandit] book ? It’s not available anywhere and still in a pre order status.

Per Amazon's tracking, mine supposedly shipped today and is scheduled to arrive on Sunday...

A Secret Has Two Faces arrived today.

I've only dipped into it, but I like it very much.

It's a book for folks who like thinking about mystery, philosophy, art and performance, but in a more modern way than, say, the woo woo shamanistic approach. There is a strong sense of play in this book, and I find that very appealing. Play is really central here.
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2017, magikcid wrote:
I am trying to be good with my spending. I’ve been trying to limit what I buy but I also have two very expensive hobbies. Guitar and magic. Ughhh

I feel your pain on this! We should start a support group - magicians / musicians not laughing when they go to the bank! Smile
...forever curious
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I have a dilemma ...please help (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL