The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Another returnee to the hobby. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DuncanC
View Profile

Andover, NH
0 Posts

Profile of DuncanC
Hi. I'm a retired physician, married to the same delightful gal for 50 years, and 72 years old.. We live out in the country in New Hampshire in a nearly 230 year old Colonial farmhouse, heat with wood fired boiler, grow our own vegetables, apples, cherries, blueberries, and pears. Share are home with two cats and a non thorobred Golden Retriever.

Back when I was in Junior High my Uncle Duncan who I was named after gave me a copy of Hilliard's Greater Magic. I was utterly fascinated and began fabricating my own performance equipment using nesting tin cans, a black velvet covered table crossed with red velvet ribbon disguising a drop hole, and a bunch of other stuff. I mostly entertained my family, but before being sent off to boarding school I put on a reasonably successful stage show at school. Then things went fallow for decades. The book was stolen when I was at college, but I found a replacement at a magic shop while in Paris 10 or 15 years ago. Over the last several years my interest has reignited and I'm rife with all sort of closeup gear, but my proficiency is not ready for any thing beyond amusing my wife Or grand children. My hands are a bit arthritic now and my right thumb has a mild but slightly suspicious deformity that makes it look like I'm holding something pinched at the base of my thumb. The skin on my hands is not as elastic as it once was so palming and manipulating things is clumsy. I suspect with time my facility will improve. I'm going to try to keep my hands in a less dried out condition by applying a very light coating of petroleum jelly after washing to prevent drying. I imaging that thatnwill not be particularly good for playing cards, It will likely take a while to see improvement in the elasticity. Anyway it is great fun to be getting going again and I'm looking forward to adding wonderment and fun into other's lives. Well mine too of course. Best regards to all, Duncan
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3443 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome DuncanC,

There are several threads in "The Workers" forum about hand lotions. That should put you on to a few of the best ones to try.

You may want to read some threads outside of you former Magical interests. There are many kinds of Magic to choose from and some have larger props (or none).

I do know that practice with your hands may not feel good but if you don't overdo it, it is good for your hands.

Best of fun Duncan.

-Mary Mowder
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Hello Duncan,

I got to say I love it when older folks get involved. I am 54 and I have dabbled for about the past 5 years. No, I was never inspired when I was younger (I just did not care for Copperfield and Henson), and it was my younger brother who got the magic set for Christmas! (I got a chemistry set that was kind of magical, but anything more than putting a couple of chemicals together and holding it over the bunsen burner was a bit much!)

But as I was saying, seeing older folks (especially "rank" beginners like myself) get involved makes me feel like I am not too late.

Curmudgeonly yours,

Henry
imgic
View Profile
Special user
Moved to Seattle to see
823 Posts

Profile of imgic
Welcome Duncan. If you’re looking for things that are not knuckle busters but solid effects, check out anything by Scott Guinn...who nailed himaelf has having palms of putty. You can find his material on Lybrary.com.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1002 Posts

Profile of Chris
Regarding dry hands I have a different suggestion which has worked for me. Wash or soak your hands in water for a while. Then use pure glycerin and wash your still wet hands with the glycerin like you would do with soap. Rub it all over your hands and fingers for a good minute or so. Then rinse your hands like you would wash off soap. Dry your hands. Done. Do this about once every week. It has worked for me, and it has worked for typesetters more than 100 years ago.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Another returnee to the hobby. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL