The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What do you do with your old decks? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
597 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Let's say you've worn out a deck of playing cards - it's clumpy and no longer handles well enough, and it's ready for retirement.

What do you do with it?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame

====>Click here to see all my pictorial reviews of magic tricks and videos <====
====>Click here to see all my pictorial reviews of decks of playing cards <====
====>Click here to see all my pictorial reviews of card & board games <====

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic video? Please contact me via Private Message.

"Instead of attempting to learn a great number of tricks, concentrate upon a few good tricks and master them so that their technique and their presentation is so excellent that those who see them will want to see them again." -Expert Card Technique
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
519 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Practice Mercury Card Fold.
kShepher
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
39 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Throw them out! Bad decks hurt you. Cut out an index or two for other tricks. Giobbi's Lucky Card...and a hundred more.

Get rid of them. Really.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1633 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I don't have old decks. They are given away or used for card warp and t&r by then.
Bringing the underground a little closer to the surface

http://www.DeeperSecrets.com/
EndersGame
View Profile
Special user
Reviewer EndersGame
597 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2017, kShepher wrote:
Throw them out! Bad decks hurt you. Cut out an index or two for other tricks. Giobbi's Lucky Card...and a hundred more.

Get rid of them. Really.

What do you mean by "bad decks hurt you"?

And is the answer different at all depending on whether it's a standard Bicycle rider-back deck or a custom deck?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame

====>Click here to see all my pictorial reviews of magic tricks and videos <====
====>Click here to see all my pictorial reviews of decks of playing cards <====
====>Click here to see all my pictorial reviews of card & board games <====

Want me to write a review of your playing cards or magic video? Please contact me via Private Message.

"Instead of attempting to learn a great number of tricks, concentrate upon a few good tricks and master them so that their technique and their presentation is so excellent that those who see them will want to see them again." -Expert Card Technique
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2658 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I practice torn and restored stuff. Mercury card fold, that's a good idea
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2083 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2017, ejohn wrote:
Practice Mercury Card Fold.

This
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1633 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I save them when I have them. It is surprising how often some old cards come in handy.

I also keep a stack handy and throw them at the kids across the living room when they are plugged in. Seriouslly. And the living room is 35 feet across.
Bringing the underground a little closer to the surface

http://www.DeeperSecrets.com/
Doc Willie
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Fold them into little boxes to store things in or give away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMYdI7bGmtg
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of lynnef
This topic has been brought up before; and the consistent answer I recall is to practice the Mercury Fold and Torn and Restored. But note the word "practice"! That said there's also a good reason to "throw them out" as they accumulate in greater numbers than one can "practice". ie don't let them become a fire hazard! Lynn (who has no room to talk!)
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1332 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I periodically give them away to friends and folks at the festivals I attend (regional events where gifting is encouraged), or donate them to thrift stores if they are complete.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I currently have a cardboard box with retired decks in it. A few times I've discovered that I jumped the gun on retiring them, meaning the cards still handle pretty easily. Otherwise, I also use them for spare cards, and for practicing scaling, or tearing, or folding.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Doc Willie wrote:
Fold them into little boxes to store things in or give away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMYdI7bGmtg

That is a great link.

I just made six!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What do you do with your old decks? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL