The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Magikub - Francisco Poeymiro (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Magickub by Federico Poeymiro
$74.95
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60311

The Hype:
Do you think you have seen everything regarding a Rubik's Cube?

Could you imagine putting the pieces together in just one second?

With MAGIKUB, you can do exactly that - solve the puzzle in one second!! In the blink of an eye, each side is a different solid color! Impossible!

A great quality magical effect that will leave your audience speechless!

Federico Poeymiro has been studying this puzzle for years in order to create a revolutionary solving of Rubik's Cube.

Includes a tutorial video with all details and handling.

My Take:
There has been quite an emphasis on magic with the Rubik's Cube in the last few years. We all played with them when they first came out and a few of us actually became skilled at solving it. You might have seen the miracles Steven Brundage performed on America's Got Talent and Penn and Teller's Fool us. Karl Hein released a three DVD set on his procedures. But there is a big drawback for the average magician. These are not procedures that you are going to get down in just one or two practice sessions. Steven has spent years perfecting his craft and although he does a great job teaching, you will have to invest some serious time to learn his moves. A lot of us do not have the time or the patience to do this. There have been several solutions to this problem such as the use of a shell. But I think Federico's Magikub fills in this void nicely.

You get a very nicely packaged cube and a link to a six minute instructional video. While this adequately explains what you need to know, I would have liked to see this video expanded to include some performances and longer instruction and tips. Considering the price of Magikub. I think expecting this is not out of line.

The cube is heavily gimmicked and cannot be examined. Its working is pretty well hidden and might pass inspection but I think it could cause a problem if you did allow it to be examined, While this could be performed closeup, I feel it would be better a small stage or parlor show. The reset (although quick) could be difficult in a walk around situation. The effect does look just as good in performance as it does in the trailer. There are not arts and crafts here. It is ready to go right out of the box. It is well made and should last quite a while with care and normal usage. One big advantage Magikub has to the shell gimmicks is that the squares on the cube can be rotated giving the appearance of a normal Rubik's Cube.

Although an easy trick to do, it will take some practice to get it to perform exactly the way you would like. With the investment of a few minutes, you will have an effect that will keep your audiences talking long after they walk out. I particularly like the procedure where you set the cube down mixed up and it solves itself as you simply roll it forward.

I like this a lot. Federico is showing that he is a good magical thinker. He previously has released some other items. The Miro Deck allows you to do some incredible card effects. http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=58965 I certainly hope that he continues to create more inventive items.

Conclusion Magikub performs exactly as the video shows. There is no trick photography or misleading statements. You get a gimmick that allows you to perform what you see. The only downside for me is the price. That will keep it out of the hands of some of the amateur hobbyists and some of the Youtube kiddies. But it could also keep it out of the hands of some of the pros. Still, if you want a stunning effect to add to your act (and don't mind paying the price), the could be pure gold for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Magikub - Francisco Poeymiro (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL