The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The End by Rick Lax (75 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Good to know that it requires a prepared deck. Because of that, it is not something I'm interested in.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
There are -prepared deck- effects that do not require the whole deck. One idea I enjoy is to remove some of the cards and replace them with packet trick cards. Now the deck is no longer a one trick deck. It's OK if I end up leaving the packet trick cards in the box while performing with the prepared deck. Those cards could be considered the -extra cards- in a deck or they may not even be made known.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Please don't attack me for asking this question, but I'm guessing you cannot shuffle the deck, correct?
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, dooblehorn wrote:
Please don't attack me for asking this question, but I'm guessing you cannot shuffle the deck, correct?

I'm pretty sure you can't legitimately mix the deck or let the spectators shuffle.

Mike
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Did Penguin just pull this? Links no longer working.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Not there anymore. I would hazard a guess that there are some issues - most likely with prior similar effects - that need to be resolved, if possible. Just my guess.

Jim
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Yes, it's no longer available...

THE END.

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I watched the trailer before it was taken down and I think it gave me cancer.

Thanks, Rick.

Mike
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Gone?? It's #2 on their best sellers list. Is there a hidden link??
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Can we change the thread title to .... The End OF Rick Lax?
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Good thing. It was a pure rip off. I wondered why nobody reacted. Because it is a known name?
If somebody unknown had brought this out: poor him.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, tenchu wrote:
I watched the trailer before it was taken down and I think it gave me cancer.

Thanks, Rick.

Mike

LOL!!!!!
Smile
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I have to believe that the (very) close comparison to Richard Osterlind's magnificent "Hands Off" was enough to convince the marketing team at Penguin to remove this product. Richard is highly protective of his original creations as he rightly should be. I did not purchase "The End" but I cannot imagine any handling of this plot being stronger than Richard's masterpiece.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Other than his first releases BC and BC2 - haven't all of the Lax releases been poor [the ripping the card up one] or obvious copies [calendar]

I think there becomes a pressure to release stuff [both for money and because you want to add to your 'body of work']

I'd already thought of new Lax releases as likely being poor/or copies

I hope this release gives Osterlind a bump in sales

"Rick Lax has been refining THE END for over 6 years. "

Is that to try and pre date Osterlind [?]

Bit like Greg Wilson bringing stuff out and saying he's been doing it for 20 years - when what he means is, 20 minutes after seeing Cosmo [insert which ever creator he copied for that particular release] version
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
This looked exactly like 'Hands Off', but with a much worse presentation, logic and handling. Almost the perfect demonstration of how someone like Osterlind is operating on a much higher creative level.
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
356 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
Wow. That was brief.
I got a review copy. Ignoring the ownership rights for the moment, it’s a good effect, well taught and easy to perform.
Surprised to see the end to The End so soon. It if there are issues as stated above, that would make sense.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
It's ashamed were seeing this happen. Same thing happened with Junky by Docc Hilford which was a complete ripoff of an old trick called Mental Stud.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
[quote]On Dec 5, 2017, The Duster wrote:

I think there becomes a pressure to release stuff [both for money and because you want to add to your 'body of work']

This was a great observation...Remember back in the early days of Penguin when they had Jay Sankey creating for them. It started off well with a few good releases and then went horribly bad. The problem with creating is that you can't put a deadline on it. Inspiration often comes when you least expect it and there are plenty of dry spells in between.

Rick seems like a genuinely nice guy other than perhaps being a bit overly-sensitive to criticism at times. But I do like his teaching style and have praised several of his original releases. He also represents Penguin in a professional manner. Maybe the best solution is for Penguin to keep him on staff and have him "present" new releases from aspiring creators. Most amateur creator's home-made videos leave much to be desired, but if Rick presented these same effects they might translate into more sales for Penguin and happier customers.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Just one point of disagreement - I do not, and have never, thought that Rick Lax seemed like a "nice guy." He's a mean-spirited shill and thief, and this doesn't surprise me in the least.
Ramius
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, OK
82 Posts

Profile of Ramius
Looks like it's back up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The End by Rick Lax (75 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL