The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls and chop cup, etc? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pekrist
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Pekrist
Hello everybody.

I’m 67 years old, and live in Norway. I’m new to this forum, and also quite new to magic tricks. I have always been fascinated by it, and have lately after watched magicians on America got talents etc., wanted to learn some tricks.

I bought Michael Ammars cups and balls DVD 1 and 2, and also a DVD about Chop Cups, and a DVD with Joe Rindfleisch rubber band tricks.

I have also seen Kent Gunn do his c&b routine (or is it a combo set) with 3 different colour balls, and thougt it was a little different and a very good performance.
Do you know if it is possible to buy his routine on a dvd or as a download?

I am now retired, and have the time to practice and maybe learn a little, just so that I can trick family and grandchildren... 😃
But, I find it difficult to decide which cups and balls or chop cup set I should buy, I find it hard to decide. I know you usually get what you pay for, but for my use I don’t think I should pay too much...

And, should I get a cups and balls set, or a chop cup, or a combo set? I have read that it is best to learn the c&b first, but would it not be smart to buy a combo set anyway? Then I have both c&b and a chop cup?
If I perform the C&B first and then bring another different cup for the chop cup, I suppose people will wonder why I can’t use one of the cups that is already on the table?

So what do you think?
What set and what price range should I go for?
Which size and weight?
Aluminium, copper, brass etc?

I have also considered Inject 2.0, but really don’t know. I have watched a 30 minute video with Greg Rostami demonstrating it. But what I find a little strange is that he says «the other persons phone does not need to be touched». But when you write an url on the persons phone, or instruct the other person what to type in, doesn’t it seem a little suspiciously?
If a person told me to enter this and that url, I would understand that it would lead me to a spesific site/sites etc. I don’t know the secret behind this, but have been thinking of whether if it is worth the amount or not? Because it is quite expensive, I think...
What is your opinion, is it worth to buy?

I have also just seen «Just a Cup» by Axel Hecklau, but I think it is way to expensive. What if I pay €140, and get disappointed, I think…
On his site about the set it says: there is a very special die, a normal die, and a normal red die. So I think it must be something like a chop cup. But how should I know. 😉
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
899 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Welcome to magic, Pekrist!

You have a fine reference with Michael Ammar's DVD set. At this point, I recommend you start with coffee cups, olives or grapes, and limes. Just eliminate the material that requires the shape of professional cups - stacking and cup through cup - and you can create a simple routine that will amaze family & friends. Along the way, you will learn some basic magic skills that will be useful later on.

This process will help you figure out what direction you want to take your magic.

Hudson
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1643 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have seen, mostly on YouTube, really fine cups & ball routines done with plastic cups, paper cups, coffee cups, and every other imaginable vessel.
I would recommend that you take a look at Skinner’s Impromptu C & Bs.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Pekrist wrote:
Hello everybody.

I’m 67 years old, and live in Norway. I’m new to this forum, and also quite new to magic tricks. I have always been fascinated by it, and have lately after watched magicians on America got talents etc., wanted to learn some tricks.

I bought Michael Ammars cups and balls DVD 1 and 2, and also a DVD about Chop Cups, and a DVD with Joe Rindfleisch rubber band tricks.

I have also seen Kent Gunn do his c&b routine (or is it a combo set) with 3 different colour balls, and thougt it was a little different and a very good performance.
Do you know if it is possible to buy his routine on a dvd or as a download?

I am now retired, and have the time to practice and maybe learn a little, just so that I can trick family and grandchildren... 😃
But, I find it difficult to decide which cups and balls or chop cup set I should buy, I find it hard to decide. I know you usually get what you pay for, but for my use I don’t think I should pay too much...

And, should I get a cups and balls set, or a chop cup, or a combo set? I have read that it is best to learn the c&b first, but would it not be smart to buy a combo set anyway? Then I have both c&b and a chop cup?
If I perform the C&B first and then bring another different cup for the chop cup, I suppose people will wonder why I can’t use one of the cups that is already on the table?

So what do you think?
What set and what price range should I go for?
Which size and weight?
Aluminium, copper, brass etc?

I have also considered Inject 2.0, but really don’t know. I have watched a 30 minute video with Greg Rostami demonstrating it. But what I find a little strange is that he says «the other persons phone does not need to be touched». But when you write an url on the persons phone, or instruct the other person what to type in, doesn’t it seem a little suspiciously?
If a person told me to enter this and that url, I would understand that it would lead me to a spesific site/sites etc. I don’t know the secret behind this, but have been thinking of whether if it is worth the amount or not? Because it is quite expensive, I think...
What is your opinion, is it worth to buy?

I have also just seen «Just a Cup» by Axel Hecklau, but I think it is way to expensive. What if I pay €140, and get disappointed, I think…
On his site about the set it says: there is a very special die, a normal die, and a normal red die. So I think it must be something like a chop cup. But how should I know. 😉

Hello Pekrist and welcome!

Michael Ammar's Cups & Balls material is top notch and an excellent way to learn the cups from basic effects to more complicated full routines. Great choice there! So you're off to a good start.

Kent Gunn's routine is amazing and one of my personal favorites. When he first published the routine, he did have it available for purchase, although I am not sure if this is still the case. Kent is a member of the Café and a great guy. Send him a private message and I'm sure he will be happy to answer your question directly if he doesn't see it here.

Concerning your question on whether it is better to buy a combo set or a straight set and a separate chop cup, my personal opinion is that you are much further ahead by going with a combo set. Combo sets can be used as a standard set without issue. You will also have a matching chop cup when you want to do that type of one cup routine. And when you're ready to learn a combo set routine you will already have the cups you need.

When it comes to copper, brass, or aluminum that is strictly a matter of personal preference. Copper and Brass are often heavier and certainly more expensive than are Aluminum sets. Many people prefer heavier cups while others are not at all concerned with weight. I would suggest you handle as many sets as you can before making a decision if at all possible.

More expensive sets of combo cups are designed in such a way that it is impossible to tell the chopped cup from the others in the set. Conversely, many of the less expensive sets do have a noticeable difference in the weight of the straight vs the chop cup and may also have a visible difference when looking inside the cups.

At the end of the day, the magic is in you and will not be found in the props you choose. I second the idea of using any cups you have available to learn the sleights before investing in a professional quality set of cups. When you are ready, Donnie Buckley at RNT2 will take excellent care of you! Another Café member and great guy. Exceptional customer service is the standard when dealing with Donnie. https://www.rnt2.com/

Good luck on your journey!

Best,

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1587 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pekrist,

I know that Kent Gunn guy pretty well. He says "work through the Ammar stuff and not to bother with his routine."

Thanks for the compliments though.

KG

PS. Thank to Rafael, for letting me know about this thread.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2324 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Pekrist,

The items that you're considering are so different from each other ...

Cups and Balls is wonderful classic magic that requires props.

Inject 2.0 is always with you (since your smartphone is always with you) and is often performed without props.

You can either perform Inject by giving your spectator a URL or not.
If you watch the 30 minute video again, you'll notice two performances where I don't give her a URL.

Of the 18 included effects, many of them don't require you giving them a URL. Here's an example of one of them:

At the end of all of your Inject performances, you'll leave your audience with an amazing souvenir on their phone.

Greg
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1113 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi Pekrist and welcome to the forum!
I am a performing magician also from Norway. I live in Oslo and I'm a member of Magiske Cirkel Norge. We have regular meetings and I would love to see you at one!

I myself have a collection of cups and balls as well as chop cups. You have been given good advice in this thread, but let me know if you'd like to meet up and handle some cups to give you an idea of what to expect.

I perform a one cup routine that is not gimmicked that I would be happy to show you.

Regards from Oslo!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Manhattan Beach, CA
2625 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, kentfgunn wrote:
Pekrist,

I know that Kent Gunn guy pretty well. He says "work through the Ammar stuff and not to bother with his routine."

Thanks for the compliments though.

KG

PS. Thank to Rafael, for letting me know about this thread.

I worked through the Ammar DVDs and spent a few years just familiarizing myself with the cups and balls and creating a routine I was comfortable with before I moved on to Kent's. It's a fantastic routine, a LOT of fun to perform, and if you're lucky Kent will pick you up at the airport and take you out to dinner to discuss it.

That said, I don't perform a set without doing some version of the cups and balls, and I would add my voice to the chorus of those in favor of the Ammar material. There's no better place to start.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls and chop cup, etc? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL